Question

Tracks on Soundcloud won't start on Chrome

• 16 August 2017
  • 25 replies

They keep buffering on chrome while it works with firefox.

This topic has been closed for comments

25 replies

There have been posts about this problem for the past two years. Let's hope that the developers either resolve the problem or give up on Chrome.
Ditto, it's never worked for me in Chrome.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

There is no confirmed bug that causes for tracks to not buffer on Chrome. Chrome is actually a supported web browser to use SoundCloud. However, there are always configurations, extensions, plugins, or any form of other issue that might cause for some users to experience problems. This is not limited to Chrome, but can occur on any other browser just as well unfortunately. Our engineers are constantly working to improve playback compatibility with as many different setups as possible.

If your Chrome browser does not buffer tracks properly, the first thing to do is open a new incognito browser window and try playing a track in there. This will a) ensure a clean cache and b) extensions are disabled (unless you've allowed them to run even in incognito mode).

Apart from that, if applicable, you could try a different internet connection to see if this helps. These things might not help fixing the issue right away, but they can help you isolating the root cause. So far, from what I understand, you've already successfully isolated the issue to be specific to Chrome, while other browsers seem to work. One step further to getting to the bottom of this 🙂

Cheers
Mathis
Ive encoutered the same problem with chrome - firefox works fine. Im using the latest version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit). Didnt figure out yet what the root cause is. Ii have even uninstalled the plugins I added recently with no avail.

Also:
  • I am on a stable connection
  • I refreshed the page
  • I disabled the adblocker
  • I also enabled flash player by default

Cant think of enything else.
Please let me/us know if someone figures out what is happening.

Cheers!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey. As Mathis said we do support Chrome and we have a lot of users that are playing in that browser. If it's not working we should get it fixed!

@Jurado Hipster @doublediv @mckillio when did it stop working for you? Or has it never worked? Also what OS are you using?

Thanks!
@Tom Jenkinson

I am having this same issue. I've never had an issue playing songs on this profile using my desktop until about a week ago. I created another profile to test this issue out and songs play just find. I have up to date flash, updated chrome, tried on safari, disabled ad blocker, cleared my browser data, logged out of my profile / restarted my computer ..... nothing. It's only when I try on this profile I get nothing, it just keeps buffering. When I listen using this profile on the app I have no issues.
Userlevel 4
Badge
hey @Shirsti please can you provide the version of chrome you are using? Also what operating system and version? That way I can try and reproduce the problem.

Thanks
Hello,
I'm having the same problem but only on mobile phones, while it works on Firefox..
On desktop Chrome i don't have this problem..
Userlevel 3
Mozilla firefox is the most stable browser use that
OK but i use it on a website and unfortunately most Android phones use Chrome.....
Userlevel 3
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-android-device-using-google-play
Browser on Android

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/
Browser

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NVJBT29B36L
Windows Store App

You can use google play store to download mozilla firefox then run soundcloud off that and also make mozilla your default browser on the android phone for links
I know, but i can't ask the visitors of my website to install Firefox...
Userlevel 3
You mean visitors for your soundcloud profile?
Yes, i installed some (soundcloud) songs on my website.
Userlevel 3
Ahh ok that would be based off the person who posted the track if they make it downloadable or not if that is the question you were asking. If its regarding embedded players adding onto your website this link may provide some guidance
https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003453587-Embedded-players

As for downloadable songs also I think having a subscription pro account may provide that difference maybe not sure
I followed that guide to install the embedded player on my website : https://thesuitcasebluesband.be/index.php/audio

On a desktop pc or laptop there's no problem, all works fine with Chrome and Firefox.
But when using a mobile phone it doesn't start playing on an Android phone using Chrome.
If the mobile phone uses Firefox it works, also with Chrome Canary
Userlevel 3
Hmmm okay. Will check it out also and let you know
Thanks
Userlevel 3
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-embedded-videos-not-playing-google-chrome/
This link regards to chrome settings for hardware acceleration change and browser history

At the moment by chrome version is 66.0.3359.122 latest if its still an issue for this version also??
Userlevel 3
Ive encoutered the same problem with chrome - firefox works fine. Im using the latest version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit). Didnt figure out yet what the root cause is. Ii have even uninstalled the plugins I added recently with no avail.

Also:
  • I am on a stable connection
  • I refreshed the page
  • I disabled the adblocker
  • I also enabled flash player by default

Cant think of enything else.
Please let me/us know if someone figures out what is happening.

Cheers!

At the moment chrome version is 66.0.3359.122 latest if its still an issue for this version also??
Userlevel 3
Just tried this issue with Oneplus 3T Chrome App and the embeds works fine on your website
Userlevel 4
Badge
@The Suitcase Blues Band please can you provide the os that your device is running? Also what version of chrome is running?

Did playback used to work or has this always been an issue?

Thanks
Hello Tom,
I just installed the embed songs on our website this saturday.
by testing on laptop i had no difficulties..
i'm just having problems on mobile phones (not only mine)
I tested on 2 Android phones (Oneplus 5T and Samsung S7) and with Chrome 66.0.3359.126 which is the stable version.

When i open the website on Firefox or Chrome Canary (instable version) i don't have problems and all works fine.

It's difficult because most people with Android phones use Chrome.
Thanks to @Ed-Ei i found the solution.
I had to re-embed the tracks and put them on my website again.
works fine now !