Question

uploading song to soundcloud causes distortion and severely decreases the sound quality

• 20 September 2016
  • 1 reply

As the title says, Soundcloud is distorting my music and decreasing the sound quality significantly. I have tried to google for possible reasons for this happening and i have tried it all. I have decreased the high-end, i have compressed it more, i have compressed it less, i have decreased the output level but NOTHING is working. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? It feels like a hit right in the face when you work har on a song and upload it just to find that your quality work turns into crap. Completely unacceptable

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback.

It is true that SoundCloud's compression algorithms, as any other, do induce some artifacting in the higher ends of the spectrum as well as the obvious reduction of dynamics. However, compression of tracks on SoundCloud are necessary, if not vital, to its very existence. Without it, there wouldn't be enough space for anyone to put anything on SoundCloud.

In a hypothetical world with infinite budget, servers and where everyone would have ultra high speed internet, it would obviously be amazing to offer our music in uncompressed formats.

If this hypothetical world is what awaits in the future then I am certain that SoundCloud will do what's necessary to make uncompressed music available to its users.

However, for the time being, this is not a possibility. Also: as an audio engineer I do believe that SoundCloud's compression is not bad at all. I have noticed similar issues with some of my own tracks, but I like to take it as a necessary step for my music to be out and available around the world, reaching out to so many people.

Therefore, I see the slight reduction in audio quality as a small con for a much greater pro.

Finally, please keep in mind that if you upload your tracks in uncompressed wav and make them downloadable, if a user downloads your track, they will get the uncompressed wav file.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide support as to how to make your mix sound better after being uploaded to SoundCloud, but I know that there are many tutorials out there than can help you with this endeavor.

I hope I have answered your doubts in the best possible way.

Please get back in touch if you have any other questions or need any assistance, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

Best,
Jonathan.