Question

When are you going to implement REAL search feature?

• 2 January 2015
  • 8 replies

Why the hell would I get some trans and electro music, if I am looking for #jazz? I mean, there are some tracks on the edge of multiple genere, which mix electro sound and jazz rhythms and all that. But when I search for #jazz I am interested in jazz, not electro music. The same thing for #classical. Search output seems like a huge mess now. Can you finally properly implement search algorithms, so it does informative selection?

Honestly saying, take a look at this crap: https://soundcloud.com/search/sounds?q=%23jazz. Funny thing is you actually can dig some real jazz music there, but for a single jazz track it's 20+ electro mixes and related.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi llya,

Thanks for asking about this, I took a look at the search link you provided. I understand your frustration at not finding what you're looking for. It appears there is a difference in what you consider jazz and what other creator's consider jazz. We do not control what or how creator's tag there music so i'm afraid there is not much we can do at the moment. Still, I am happy to bring this up with our Discovery team to take into consideration as we implement future filters and features to aid in searching.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Hope you had a wonderful new year!
Gina
Thanks! Hope you will find a proper solution to this problem!
I'd consider this still broken. The biggest frustration with Soundcloud is how inaccurate the search results are.

For example, if I want to find "Hardcore" but not "Happy Hardcore" there is no way to specify this. (e.g., Other search systems allow a negative qualifier: "-Happy" "NOT Happy", etc...)

Additionally if I do an exact search for an artists name, they should be at the top of the search list; this is not the case.

It's more than just loading songs/artists that label their music a genre that others may disagree on, but it's turning up just straight up wrong/noisy results despite the tagging. All in all the search just FEELS bad;.
Bump
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Bump
Hi tronster,

There are no immediate changes planned at this point, but rest assured we've forwarded your query to our engineers to discuss future plans around this.
I'd consider this still broken. The biggest frustration with Soundcloud is how inaccurate the search results are.

For example, if I want to find "Hardcore" but not "Happy Hardcore" there is no way to specify this. (e.g., Other search systems allow a negative qualifier: "-Happy" "NOT Happy", etc...)

Additionally if I do an exact search for an artists name, they should be at the top of the search list; this is not the case.

It's more than just loading songs/artists that label their music a genre that others may disagree on, but it's turning up just straight up wrong/noisy results despite the tagging. All in all the search just FEELS bad;.

+1 for negative qualifiers. I personally would like to be able to find any original track, and exclude all covers, by typing "-cover" for instance. Just 1 example of what I would do with this.

If people want to be heard, then there will be a tendency to use any labelling system to spread themselves around as much as possible. Mostly this is likely to be well-intentioned as the thought may be "I'm not really [genre], but somebody liking [genre] might like [mine] because it's close-ish, so I'll tag [genre] as well as [mine] to give them a chance!". There aren't likely to be many outright liars as most sensible people will know that this is likely to be counter-productive.

Still interested in negative qualifiers in the search. But I'll un-follow this topic because the original post isn't completely 100% about it. I'll find another topic. Thanks though, the search engine has been quite improved (i.e. filter by tag, length, time...)