Question

WHY ARE RELATED TRACKS SO TERRIBLE AND UNRELATED?

What is the point of related tracks when they aren't related? Our listeners are getting sonically accosted by the related tracks. Why can't they be our tracks? Why does after 1 song it have to endorse something we would never listen to?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that the recommended sounds are not by a user you enjoy. These tracks are selected by an algorithm that returns recommendations through a network of relations and interactions on SoundCloud (for example a user liked a track, a user followed another user, a track is reposted etc.). The recommendations for a track can be both directly or indirectly related to tracks in this network.

Unfortunately, there's not a way to remove recommended tracks from your individual sound's page at this time. Our developers are working on ways to improve the related sounds feature to be more relevant to your profile and uploaded sounds.

Best,
Mathis
Well Soundcloud . Your going to lose a lot of potential clients . The related tracks after my Playlist are as about related as a Brain Surgeon to a Dustbin man . Yes you have to make money .
So why can't I pay a Fee to disable related tracks . One of your competitors will soon enough .
Nick Redford
www.houseofshye.com
Userlevel 1
I am furious about this. I have 58 original tracks of easy listening and christian songs, and my related tracks are the same three or four hiphop songs with foul language. Songs I or my listeners would never listen to. I keep searching for a way to contact SoundCloud, but can't find any. I will look for somewhere else to put my songs and take my money.
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear that the recommended sounds are not by a user you enjoy. These tracks are selected by an algorithm that returns recommendations through a network of relations and interactions on SoundCloud (for example a user liked a track, a user followed another user, a track is reposted etc.). The recommendations for a track can be both directly or indirectly related to tracks in this network.

Unfortunately, there's not a way to remove recommended tracks from your individual sound's page at this time. Our developers are working on ways to improve the related sounds feature to be more relevant to your profile and uploaded sounds.

Best,
Mathis

Maybe let the artist determine related tracks?? AND you write "recommended sounds" yet they are called "Related tracks". ..the language implies two completely different things.

This section just doesn't make any sense whatsoever... for instance .. what if one of my synth ambient tracks end up on a country music fan? That is not my target market at all...no matter if one in a hundred like my synth track ... it is more a shot in the dark attempting to hit a bat flying hundred meters above me.
Hey there,

Best,
Mathis

Indeed! And if not specified by the artist, just play another song from that same artist. It could be that easy. I regret how people play 1 track of me and then get distracted by the totally random stuff following it.
Hey there,

Best,
Mathis

dear Mathis - this topic has been raised many times - is there any solution in sight? I have two accounts - one personal and one professional. On my own account it is tedious and boring that listeners are subjected to unwanted and unwarranted intrusion into their sonic space, but at least the 'recommended' tracks are vaguely related to me - often followers / followed friends. Listeners just exit Soundcloud when something they did not want to hear starts playing automatically. But on the professional account I was embarrassed again the other (as others have reported) when I sent a link to a specific track to a business colleague to have them contact me and ask why I was 'promoting' someone else's tracks. Telling them it is Souncloud's fault does not help them, me, or Soundcloud, which I believe is becoming labelled as an 'amateur' site.
Hey there,

Best,
Mathis

As I say, why can't we pay an EXCLUSIVITY FEE .
Hey there,

Best,
Mathis

I already pay for Pro. My feeling is that any automatic playing of anything should be avoided by any serious website - it's just not credible., and smacks of pop-up ads, intrusive banners, roll-over triggers and similar rubbish
I have gotten zero explanation on why SIX BLOCKED users are allowed to show up in related tracks (RTs) by my own sounds. It is INSULT TO INJURY forcing this on users and is EASILY remedied in some simple computer code. The only "advice" I was given was to do a lot of new commenting and liking, etc to change the RTs, but that is totally bogus. The so-called "algorithm" has to be pulling data that is 15 months old and more in order to put these BLOCKED USERS at my sites, so clearly new activity does nothing to change the problem.

FIX the algorithm. If no one else is experiencing this forced promotion of blocked users, then clearly it is a personal manipulation by some SC staff member at my site alone. Wrong on all counts regardless.
Hey there,

Best,
Mathis

Why are users FORCED to PROMOTE tracks by users we have BLOCKED? Writing an algorithm that MAKES SENSE is not rocket science. 3/4 of RTs on my site are by users I have had ZERO connection to and even GENRE is totally wrong. Why not STOP this "feature" as it is only MISdirection to listeners?

If you have ever seen RTs posted by your own tracks from users you have blocked, please write me at my account: kat330 Thank you!
Userlevel 1
I have gotten zero explanation on why SIX BLOCKED users are allowed to show up in related tracks (RTs) by my own sounds. It is INSULT TO INJURY forcing this on users and is EASILY remedied in some simple computer code. The only "advice" I was given was to do a lot of new commenting and liking, etc to change the RTs, but that is totally bogus. The so-called "algorithm" has to be pulling data that is 15 months old and more in order to put these BLOCKED USERS at my sites, so clearly new activity does nothing to change the problem.

FIX the algorithm. If no one else is experiencing this forced promotion of blocked users, then clearly it is a personal manipulation by some SC staff member at my site alone. Wrong on all counts regardless.

Nothing has changed on my account. My related songs to my original folk and christian music are gangster rap or something similar. I have just about quit posting new songs to soundcloud and have almost quit sharing. The only solution I have found is to mark my track private if I want to share it. Then my listeners are not exposed to the insulting and embarrassing lyrics that follow in the so called related tracks. After searching to no avail for a way to contact Soundcloud, I have written them off. All my new tracks will go somewhere else.

My core followers know where I'm coming from and what I'd honestly recommend they listen to, so I'm more miffed that new visitors to SC or my pages may assume I personally am suggesting these idiotic choices next to my own sounds. SC should at least post a disclaimer with each RT (I've added one atop my profile) that these random tracks are NOT recommended by the artist whose site they show up on.

I have already found other, better outlets for posting my music, but it's a sound idea making any new tracks at SC private from here on out. Problem is whenever I've tried to share a track with even 30 of my 1350+ followers, I get a rude "Warning!" pop-up threatening to block me for too much sharing activity.

SC just wants to kill the wonderful community it had cultivated before greed took precedence and dollar$ became all that makes $en$e to the powers that be.
Just returned to the good old youtube way... google offers the better product again.... good luck!