Question

Android Auto support for SoundCloud still nowhere near fruition?

Userlevel 2
Is Android Auto support somewhat close to in the works? Many users have been waiting for this for a very long time, Android Auto has been available to users for nearly 2.5 years, and made available on the phone itself well over a year ago, so the user base is there, and yet for whatever reason SoundCloud straight up refuses to add support. What is going on? It's not like it's terribly hard to build an Android Auto app, and there are third party apps that perfectly nail what the SoundCloud app should have been. You would think in a time of financial struggles, the company would do what it can to increase both it's userbase and actual user engagement, but it's as if SoundCloud just doesn't care.

19 replies

I contacted Soundcloud Support through Twitter and they informed me that there is currently no plans/actions for Soundcloud on Android Auto. I was given this response about 2 weeks ago. I use MY Cloud Radio, as it can connect to your Soundcloud account and is authorized on android auto.
Still no plans? Soundcloud, what are you waiting for? It can't be that difficult. It's going to be quite a big deal if you're on board soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

It is not something that we've planned for immediate release, no. I've passed on your feedback and moved this topic to the ideas section now.

Cheers
Mathis
http://www.jeffreyhumble.com/portfolio/#/soundcloud-for-android-auto/
???
Userlevel 1
4th and 5th this suggestion. I love Soundcloud and for the most part can play it everywhere. I'd pay more to have this app with android auto features to complete my listening needs. Given the latest news on Soundcloud, I believe there are a number of loyal users that will pay for more services to access Soundcloud content from everywhere.

Connected cars are here and growing by the day... don't make use continue to pay and use 3rd party apps to do what Soundcloud should be providing. Please!
Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

It is not something that we've planned for immediate release, no. I've passed on your feedback and moved this topic to the ideas section now.

Cheers
Mathis

Android auto has been out for what, almost 3 years and "It is not something that you plan for release" but everyone is wanting it to be released
Like seriously, is the company so damn blind to not see the CRIES of their users?
Well what are you planning on then anyway? SoundCloud hasn't changed in like a billion years
Emior Serum 🆒🆒🆒
Userlevel 3
Please make android auto app. And app for windows. Or sell your company to someone who will
Lack of Android Auto support is why I've subscribed to Tidal and not Soundcloud Go+. The standard app just does not work well with AA. Eg if music is playing on the standard app and I start my car, it stops and I have to restart the track via the phone. Same if I have a text message read out, etc. It basically makes it unusable.
vortoozo wrote:

Lack of Android Auto support is why I've subscribed to Tidal and not Soundcloud Go+. The standard app just does not work well with AA. Eg if music is playing on the standard app and I start my car, it stops and I have to restart the track via the phone. Same if I have a text message read out, etc. It basically makes it unusable.

This

Lack of support in 2016/17, ok, so slow to the show fair enough...
Lack of support in 2018 and 'no plans in the pipeline'.... Let's see where the business is in 5 years shall we.

Sat dreaming of what might have been while Spotify, Apple and Google Play clean up the marker due to the slick cross platform integration
I love Soundcloud, and want to support them by subscribing. But I don't listen to Soundcloud on the go due to lack of Android Auto support. I use Cloud Radio _sometimes_ but that's free. There's pro version of that I'm more likely to pay for than Soundcloud right now.

What are they working on then? Is there a roadmap anywhere?
Userlevel 1
No Android Auto support and they want my money for a subscription ... Not buying into that SoundCloud. A subscriber base is going to need to see that you listen and make improvements to earn their support.
Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

@Mathis I've subscribed to Spotify and Play Music. I would happily drop those for SoundCloud Go+ if your company would add this one feature.

I understand your need to focus on the experience for content creators... but please bear in mind that creators are only here because there are also listeners here (not to mention the fact that creators are generally listeners too).

Without listeners, creators would leave too.

Please pass our sentiments along again. It's time to get back to leading the pack. Asking for money without support for this standard-for-2018 feature is just silly.
Userlevel 2
It's quite annoying that SoundCloud does not have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay support. It plays semi-nice with CarPlay, at least you can see what song is playing and skip forward and back using the "Now Playing" app.
With Android Auto, it is complete garbage. The music plays, but there's no controls for it whatsoever. Integration into BOTH of these platforms is trivial, so there's really no excuse for them not to do it, except that it won't bring them more money.

The thing they don't realize (or maybe they just dont care) is, Spotify is available on both platforms, with excellent support and a vast music library (at much cheaper subscription cost, to boot!). So honestly, I don't even know why I pay SoundCloud anymore. Besides the handful of artists I follow on here that don't have other music outlets, EVERYONE ELSE is on Spotify, so I may end up switching for good if they don't figure this shit out.

Maybe they don't see the use of implementing it now, because it won't bring them in more money, but maybe they'll see the use when they start losing paying subscribers to better streaming services that support the use of their product while driving.

Ball's in your court, SoundCloud devs!
Please work on support for Android auto, for the love of all that is semi decent.

Soundcloud would be my favorite music streaming service, but it loses because it does not support things like Android Auto.
Still hoping for Android Auto support! Fingers crossed.
Userlevel 2
Those of you who want Android Auto support, keep making new topics about it!!! Make new ones weekly, or daily, until SOMETHING is done.
At this point it's getting to be ridiculous. I'm shelling out almost $20/month for all the features, and I can't even use basic functionality while driving.

As a proof of concept, I made a basic audio-player app for Android with basic playback features (pause, skip, reverse, repeat) which took a couple weeks, and then added the Android Auto support, which took A WEEK.

Granted, SoundCloud is likely miles more complex than my test app, but the process of adding Android Auto was dead simple. All you need is implement basic functions at the bare minimum. If you could at least give us play/pause, skip, reverse, and repeat functions, with the album art in the background or something, it'd be actually usable.

Anyway, long story short, if you want Android Auto, be persistent, and make new threads about it, comment on existing ones, generate a lot of buzz and demand this feature be implemented. We, the users deserve to have this (especially the paying ones) so don't feel bad blowing up their support feeds with this.
The only reason for downloading SoundCloud was for listening to podcasts in the car via Android Auto. It seems that I've made a mistake and will be uninstalling it on my phone and finding something else. Badly done SoundCloud. Looks like your are alienating many of your loyal users.
For those of you wanting SoundCloud on Google Auto, try and get in touch with your favorite content creators and maybe tell them you wish they would choose a new provider so you could listen to them in your car.

Podcast Addict is excellent for podcasts over google auto btw.