Sort by most liked/most played?

Userlevel 2
Is there any reason why this hasn't been implemented?

Not to sound like a dick, but this is one of the most basic features present on almost every website or ui driven by user content (including Youtube). It's been a standard feature of every file browser since at least 1990. I'm sure it's almost definitely been discussed behind closed doors, but the fact that it still has not been implemented means that this feature either can't be implemented, or (like the inability to filter reposts) has intentionally not been implemented.

One would think that the biggest priority would be ensuring that users can find GOOD music as quickly and easily as possible. But there is virtually no way to sift through the overwhelming majority of bad music to get to the hidden gems, even my feed which was carefully curated before the introduction of reposts is a total crapshoot.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Filters currently don't exist on your Stream, sorry about this. I'll pass on your feedback.

For the moment being, there might be 3rd party solutions to help you narrow down some of the gems 🙂
I second this request : Sorting by latest is something I need a lot.
🆒🆒🆒
Hi there,

Filters currently don't exist on your Stream, sorry about this. I'll pass on your feedback.

For the moment being, there might be 3rd party solutions to help you narrow down some of the gems :)

How does soundcloud not have a most view/most played option? That is like Youtube without views, haha. How am I suppose to find the most popular song when I enter a big brand page? Its impossible. You guys really need this feature. Thanks.
Hi there,

For the moment being, there might be 3rd party solutions to help you narrow down some of the gems :)

So, how did passing on the feedback go? I'm new to soundcloud, got directed here from youtube because I wanted to listen to more music of the same artist. I wanted to hear their most popular tracks, but can't understand why soundcloud doesn't have a filter option, that's retarded.
Soundcloud is such a nice web service and you guys obviously spent considerable time designing a nice user interface. I dont understand how you could ignore or intentionally leave off a feature so crucial to its usability.
I have been annoyed with this just now and put together a quick javascript function.
I might put it into a proper tempermonkey script if have time tonight.
So if you want to sort the current page you are on by likes just paste the following into your javascript console.
This currently works with preloaded tracks, so you will have to scroll down a little to get a better track pool for sorting.

code:
var list = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll('.soundList__item')).sort(function(a, b) {
var a_likes = parseInt(a.querySelector('.sc-button-like').innerText.replace('.',''))
var b_likes = parseInt(b.querySelector('.sc-button-like').innerText.replace('.',''))
return b_likes-a_likes;
});

for (var i = 0; i < list.length; i++) {
list[i].parentNode.appendChild(list[i]);
}
Cant edit my last post anymore, but if anyone is interested I started a script for sorting and filtering soundcloud songs.
So far it only supports sorting by likes but I will add more features.
Let me know if you can think of anything missing
Hope its useful for somebody else 🙂
https://github.com/xerg0n/soundcloud_extentions
I have been annoyed with this just now and put together a quick javascript function.
I might put it into a proper tempermonkey script if have time tonight.
So if you want to sort the current page you are on by likes just paste the following into your javascript console.
This currently works with preloaded tracks, so you will have to scroll down a little to get a better track pool for sorting.

I took that quick script and added handling for a couple edge cases. As above, this isnt anything particularly robust. Make sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page to make sure everything is loaded.

code:
function getLikes(sortable) {return eval(sortable.querySelector('.sc-button-like').innerText.replace('K','*1000').replace('M','*1000000').replace('Like','0').replace(',',''))}

var list = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll('.soundList__item')).sort(function(a, b) {return getLikes(b)-getLikes(a);});

for (var i = 0; i < list.length; i++) {list[i].parentNode.appendChild(list[i]);}
Anyone got a javascript function code for sorting most played/streamed perhaps?