Question

Sort Following List

• 28 September 2017
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
I just hit the "max. 2000 Followers" limit and need to unfollow some artists / accounts now so that I can add new ones. Is there a way to sort the following list let's say in descending order by number of followers of the accounts I follow? Or by recently added tracks? Or by recently online accounts?

13 replies

Userlevel 1
The coolest solution would be for SoundCloud to set up a way to browse through those you are Following in a List style that can be sorted by name, location, date followed, etc. - similar to Windows Explorer.
Userlevel 2
There seems to be a kind of spam filer possibly active because Rhythmicity mentioned he could not reply to my last post. Anyone else experiencing problems?
Drop me a line via my Soundcloud account if you want to: https://soundcloud.com/pixelremix
Userlevel 4
Badge
I have added many replies here, but none of them will post (and I don't expect this one to either).

This is mainly a message to the mod(s) that finally dislodge us from the grip of the spam filters:

Please restore my second response to this thread, and ignore the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and so on, which were basically edits of the second response with URLs removed, and "tests" to see if I could post anything at all.

Thanks,
matt
This is Matt (Rhythmicity) on a second account. The spam filters on this forum are terrible; I put three direct links to SoundCloud services (the API guide x2, and once to the notice about not taking API license applications), and I got squelched.

Anyway, here was my post (minus URLs):

Hi,

I've spent a fair amount of time in the past searching for exactly these answers; unfortunately there's not really anything out there that helps much. Soundcloud's web-based and mobile features don't do anything like this.

Now, with their API* you can access all sorts of data and manipulate it externally. I am not a coder, but I understand the basics, and browsing their API guide, I see that there are ways to access "number of followers" and "number of followed users", among many other pieces of data. It would not be impossible, then, to write a script that runs on your "following" page, and then accesses that data for each followed account.

* Ahh yes, the crappy asterisk. Two huge problems remain. One, the number of results you can return in a single search is capped at 200. I am not sure how a work-around could be made to run the query ten or eleven times (2000-2200 requests) and then compile all the data. Two, which makes all of this moot; you cannot currently get a license to access the API as they have temporarily closed registration due to "excessive submission of applications".

I suppose if you knew or could find anyone that already had an API license, they would know in a very short amount of time whether or not writing such a script would be feasible.

Matt
Userlevel 4
Badge
:? Why can I not post?
Userlevel 4
Badge
I've been trying to post a response, but the system seems to be having issues, back in a sec...
Userlevel 4
Badge
I've been trying to post a response, but it seems there's a problem with my posting privileges. Be back in a sec...
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi,

I've spent a fair amount of time in the past searching for exactly these answers; unfortunately there's not really anything out there that helps much. Soundcloud's web-based and mobile features don't do anything like this.

Now, with their API* you can access all sorts of data and manipulate it externally. I am not a coder, but I understand the basics, and browsing their API guide, I see that there are ways to access "number of followers" and "number of followed users", among many other pieces of data. It would not be impossible, then, to write a script that runs on your "following" page, and then accesses that data for each followed account.

* Ahh yes, the crappy asterisk. Two huge problems remain. One, the number of results you can return in a single search is capped at 200. I am not sure how a work-around could be made to run the query ten or eleven times (2000-2200 requests) and then compile all the data. Two, which makes all of this moot; you cannot currently get a license to access the API as they have temporarily closed registration due to "excessive submission of applications".

I suppose if you knew or could find anyone that already had an API license, they would know in a very short amount of time whether or not writing such a script would be feasible.

Matt
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi,

* Ahh yes, the crappy asterisk. Two huge problems remain. One, the number of results you can return in a single search is capped at 200. I am not sure how a work-around could be made to run the query ten or eleven times (2000-2200 requests) and then compile all the data. Two, which makes all of this moot; you cannot currently get a license to access the API (http://soundcloud.com/you/apps/new).

Matt
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi,

Now, with their API* you can access all sorts of data and manipulate it externally. I am not a coder, but I understand the basics, and browsing their API guide (specifically https://developers.soundcloud.com/docs/api/reference#users), I see that there are ways to access "number of followers" and "number of followed users", among many other pieces of data. It would not be impossible, then, to write a script that runs on your "following" page, and then accesses that data for each followed account.

* Ahh yes, the crappy asterisk. Two huge problems remain. One, the number of results you can return in a single search is capped at 200. I am not sure how a work-around could be made to run the query ten or eleven times (2000-2200 requests) and then compile all the data. Two, which makes all of this moot; you cannot currently get a license to access the API (http://soundcloud.com/you/apps/new).

Matt
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi,

Now, with their API* you can access all sorts of data and manipulate it externally. I am not a coder, but I understand the basics, and browsing their API guide (https://developers.soundcloud.com/docs/api/guide, but specifically https://developers.soundcloud.com/docs/api/reference#users), I see that there are ways to access "number of followers" and "number of followed users", among many other pieces of data. It would not be impossible, then, to write a script that runs on your "following" page, and then accesses that data for each followed account.

Matt
Userlevel 2
Hi Matt thanks for the answer! Yeah I think the google doc idea doesn't make too much sense except you are willing to add even more info to the doc like followers, date of reposts or date of tracks added. But as you mentioned when you unfollow / follow new accounts on a daily basis that's anyway to much hassle.

I spent like 2 hours now trying to find accounts that are not so much relevant to me and I could unfollow - but endet up discovering new artists on those profile I wanted to unfollow 😂😭 That's not going to work out...

I have a feeling that sorting out those accounts to an offline text file on my computer might not be the best idea, neither.

Is there somewhere an open database that includes artists on Soundcloud and let's you manage them in a personal list?
I know of Discogs but don't think they would be suitable for this idea...
Userlevel 4
Badge
Unfortunately, aside from using an external script that would access and sort the data via the SoundCloud API, the accounts you are following will always be listed in chronological order according to the date you followed them. New follows are on the top, and your oldest follows are at the bottom.

In the past, I have selected all of the data on my https://soundcloud.com/rhythmicity/following page and then copy/pasted it into Google docs, which allowed me to at least sort the list alphabetically if I so chose. However, I found this method quickly became obsolete because I was unfollowing inactive or uninteresting accounts and replacing them with new, active artists or labels almost daily. This made my Google doc outdated within a few days unless I was constantly willing to update it as well. Too much work for my tastes.

Now, when I have to do my "unfollows" to free up space, I go to the bottom of my list (people I have been following for the longest), and then unfollow based on my own personal criteria, which usually involves activity on the account and how long it has been since that account produced or reposted something I like.

Sort criteria on both our followers and accounts we follow would be a majorly welcome addition to the site, if anyone out there is watching! =P

Matt