Question

Sound Quality

Userlevel 2
I know an old subject but very tired of the low level bit rate and overall poor sound quality. Lots of complaints regarding distortion particularly in the high frequencies and just not paying for a crappy service! People still feel same way?

12 replies

I know an old subject but very tired of the low level bit rate and overall poor sound quality. Lots of complaints regarding distortion particularly in the high frequencies and just not paying for a crappy service! People still feel same way?
A few years ago Soundcloud was actually good. I think they teamed up with LANDR or some other mixing algorithm company and now everything you upload sounds like pure trash. Compressed and normalized trash. Kills all dynamics and your mix. I'm incredibly pissed that I pay for a pro or premium account and I have to live with this low level quality. It's bullshit.
Over the past couple of days I've noticed serious clipping at "fuller" or louder moments in tracks I'm playing via Bluetooth in my car. This distortion didn't exist just a week ago on these tracks, it's a new phenomenon. I changed the setting from Normal to Automatic to see if it'll fix it, but I'm looking for other solutions and am wondering if other users have been having the same issue lately.

I've been experiencing this also. Looking for an example from my personal library, though, I had not found the one I was expected. Has SoundCloud worked on this problem?
Hey I'm new here.

I also have the same problem. Been working on a Marshmello remix, and for some reason, whenever I privately (and publicly) uploaded it, its sound quality was (and is) just... Ugh. I know they originally weren't sounding terrible in the beginning before the uploads because I listened to them like a million times, and that's coming from a partially deaf person. Smh. 😑
Over the past couple of days I've noticed serious clipping at "fuller" or louder moments in tracks I'm playing via Bluetooth in my car. This distortion didn't exist just a week ago on these tracks, it's a new phenomenon. I changed the setting from Normal to Automatic to see if it'll fix it, but I'm looking for other solutions and am wondering if other users have been having the same issue lately.
I never thought I would find an emulator of my Fischer Price cassette player that I had as a kid, but Soundcloud has nailed it!

I'm by no means a audiophile purist but the quality has been noticeably degrading over the years to a point of nearly becoming offensive. Strangely the adverts seem to be excellent quality.

I would happily pay for the service if there was a higher sound quality option.
I don't mind paying for high quality - I'm paying for Spotify since I use it and I'd do the same with Soundcloud for the sake of hq.
I'd love to buy songs - to support artists, not for hq, but man, there is a lot of musicians that don't even sell music! So I'm stuck with 64kbps trash, because music in this bitrate isn't music anymore - it's just trash. You (Soundcloud) keep wav files anyway and I don't understand why the hell you won't offer high quality in Pro plan. This is an opportunity to get money and, as I heard, you really need it.
Userlevel 5
Thank you for your feedback. In terms of mixing and mastering, there's an interesting read to be found over at iZotope. (Which I am sure you have already seen @DjPinkie).

As per usual, I'll be sure to pass on your feedback to product.

Cheers
Mathis

Mathis dont try to give me that crap about mixing and mastering ffs lol, ive been a full pro member on here for over 9 years or so, you new lot have ruinned this place completely, noticed you didnt explain why sound keeps stuttering and like stopping for a couple of milli seconds! and you try to palm off advice about mixing and mastering haha, this place is now running at 64kbps and you can tell, yet it seems some artists are playing at top quality strangely enough! and as for playing my sets or any others on my phones been a waste of time for a year or two now, the distortions unreal and poor quality
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thank you for your feedback. In terms of mixing and mastering, there's an interesting read to be found over at iZotope. (Which I am sure you have already seen @DjPinkie).

As per usual, I'll be sure to pass on your feedback to product.

Cheers
Mathis
I dont hear this poor quality of sound, I hear it well.
Userlevel 5
And pure metal maybe if youre a musician whos trying to sell youre own tracks, not everyone is in it for money!
Userlevel 5
Aswell as ridiculasly poor sound quality out of a tin can my sound keeps stuttering every now and then like two mp3 files joinined together not in sync, unbelievably poor along with sharing onto facebook and the images blow up all distorted, this whole place is a mess full stop, to think how great it was here years ago! but listening to any sets dj wise keep stuttering almost like buffering

Pure-metal we pay premium so why should we be getting rubbish quality? should be in 320kbps quality playback, not 64kbps!
yes it suck but remember that musicians put their tracks on soundcloud to promote their music..if you want quality you should buy it..