Question

All my tracks are distorted on iPhone

• 6 October 2015
  • 4 replies

When I attempt to listen to my tracks on an iPhone (I have tried this with an iPhone 5C and an iPhone 6) they are completely distorted. This is not a problem with other people's tracks. However when I insert headphones it sounds fine, but when I play them through the iPhone speaker they are not listenable.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting in touch. Hmm, I see what you mean. It didn't occur with an iPhone 4, however I was able to reproduce this with and Android device. This is likely a case where the left and right channel are deleting each other out actually (phase deletion), so it has to do with the source material, and how some device can cope with this and others can't.

Here's what I'd recommend: if the original recording is mono, export to mono, if it is stereo, export it to a stereo file, then upload one of the recordings to SoundCloud again and see if this helps.

Please let us know how it goes to help others who might run into a similar issue.

Cheers
Mathis
I'm not sure what you mean. They are all recorded in stereo and saved that way. Do you mean to re-export it again?
I have also found this post: https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/s...

In that thread you were able to make the adjustments from your end to fix the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I have also found this post: https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/s...

In that thread you were able to make the adjustments from your end to fix the problem.

Hi there Andrew,

Thanks for getting back to me about this. Yes, this is correct, I've helped out on that convo. However, I actually did do the same thing as you'd do - I converted the original file, and re-uploaded it to the user's account.

I was suggesting for you to do the same thing from your end because you have the source material and thus it might be the better way to go about this, also for future reference.

Like I said, what's happening here is more then likely phase cancellation, and on the iPhone, which has mono speakers, this causes for a distorted sound. If you swapped the phase on one of your channels, you should no longer run into the same issue. What audio software are you using? Maybe I can help.

If you still want me to go ahead and try if I can sort this for you from here, I'd be happy to do so, not a problem.

Let me know what will best work for you.

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: I've briefly looked if I can find an appropriate explanation for what phase cancellation is and found this video. Now, in the video, the issue is explained with multiple microphones. If you've used one microphone to record in stereo, then in your case the left and right channel are what's causing the cancellation. Here's an article that explain phase cancellation in further depth. Hope this helps 🙂 All the best!