Question

artwork quality

• 19 January 2015
  • 18 replies

I've tried several different formats to my artwork for my playlists and every time i upload it the images show up blurry, am i doing something wrong ? is this an issue on SC end ?

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi.
When you say formats, what do you exactly mean? Do you mean file types? If so, I would suggest that you increase the resolution of your raw images. Jpeg files with good resolution work for me.
Greets.
IK
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Here are a couple extra recommendations for artwork upload criteria. Hope that helps!

-Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Photo Optimization: how do I maximize image quality when sharing to Facebook?.

Whenever I upload an image with lots of color, SoundCloud resizes it to under 50k and 500x500. So you think you're uploading a high quality image, then you share your link on Facebook and it looks SUPER grainy. How can I optimize my images to be the highest quality possible?

Facebook's thing is as long as you keep a file under 100k, they won't resize it. Does SoundCloud have a similar algorithm?

Example...
What I see on SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/freespinfriday/fsf013-mart
https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000114312806-2u4trv-t500x500.jpg

What it looks like on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/freespinfriday/posts/1441730519459336

Plez halp.

Kevin
Thank you for merging the conversation, but this doesn't help. I've followed the criteria that you have suggested and SoundCloud still compresses the image I upload to be poorer quality (if if it was 800x800 or larger and under 2MB).
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thank you for merging the conversation, but this doesn't help. I've followed the criteria that you have suggested and SoundCloud still compresses the image I upload to be poorer quality (if if it was 800x800 or larger and under 2MB).
Hey there,

Thanks for following up and sorry about the ongoing confusion here. I've reached out to our developers about this in order to get further details around this before providing an answer. Generally, we recommend to upload your images in the highest resolution possible. More details, hopefully soon :-)

Hope that's ok. Thanks for your patience.

All the best
Mathis
Thanks, Mathis!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again Kevin,

So. I've now spoken with one of our engineers about your case. He let me know that the image resolution has most recently been adjusted to provide better resolution images across all screens. This affects all images that are uploaded from now on, but I made sure that the track you referred to in also included.

His general advise was to upload the "highest reasonable quality you can".

I've tested and shared the track to Facebook again now. What I noticed is that that preview image is still a bit blurry on the edges, however once you click on play and the embedded player opens up, the artwork in the background is of a better resolution. Are you seeing similar results?

Cheers
Mathis
Hey Mathis, thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I'm glad the image art is better quality once you hit play, but it's the share image that people first see. If it's blurry, they are less likely to click. All good though, I found a little trick with contrast: the images with more dark to light contrast end up looking clearer.

Like this one we just posted:
https://www.facebook.com/freespinfriday/posts/1442339042731817

Will probably do that from now on. Thanks for your help anyway!

Cheers,
Kevin
Dear Soundcloud, i have the same problem, all my covers are created by me using Adobe Photoshop CC, exported under 1Mb, i tried 1000px, 800, 600, 500, JPEG, PNG but still, the quality change dramatically after i upload here..
Once uploaded, soundcloud resize it to 500px and compress it and looks so ugly, i'm desperate, don't know what to do, i even tried some of the top compression plugins for Adobe but it's useless, the quality changes everytime!!
I have the same problem and wonder if SC is going to solve this problem? For me, working with podcasting professionally it is a nightmare. I have professional portrays taken of every guest. I upload the photos in "highest reasonable quality you can". They look awsome until I try to post them on Facebook and Twitter... If there is no way to solve this issue, please let me know.
Same here. The image used here for example: https://soundcloud.com/machinefabriek/modular-body-1

When I've upload it (and it's 1000x1000px), it looks really sharp, but as soon as I refresh the page, the image turned ugly... No idea why... the image is not big at all (540 kb, and super sharp), so why this compression? Also when clicking on the image to see a bigger version, it still looks blurry.

I've tried different other dimensions (800x800, 1400x1400) and formats, but all with the same result...
I still have the same issues as the guys above and tried the same as the above. Please fix this issue, I'm a pro user and I don't pay for crappy image processing on SC side.
wow one year into this and no action taken ... I too suffer the same problem. this is like the third recurring problem I run into that have been ongoing for 1+ year. you guys are one of the worst media services when it comes to attending this kind of stuff 😞
They definitely NEED to fix this.
It does the same thing for my avatar and header.
Ok so i'm noticing similar issues on my end. I have some artwork I uploaded at 1500 x 1500 pixels and was just over 2mb in size. The actual image it shows when you get to the resize page looks fine, then when I accept it I can see ugly pixels aliasing the whole thing. The thing is, I just tried uploading a smaller image at 500 x 500 pixels and it looks far better now.

What is with that?
Ok so i'm noticing similar issues on my end. I have some artwork I uploaded at 1500 x 1500 pixels and was just over 2mb in size. The actual image it shows when you get to the resize page looks fine, then when I accept it I can see ugly pixels aliasing the whole thing. The thing is, I just tried uploading a smaller image at 500 x 500 pixels and it looks far better now.

What is with that?

When uploading any images to ANY social network site where the dimensions are static (ex. Soundcloud's 800x800) it is recommended to design your artwork to THAT dimension. Anything smaller or larger will be processed and lose it's original quality. The image you made at 500x500 is closer to that of Soundcloud's set dimensions at 800x800, so in turn that image was processed less resulting in an image with more original quality.

As far as sharing images or links from Soundcloud to another social network, that quality loss is between the 3rd party and Soundcloud and the way that each of them store the image. If you notice, on facebook, if you update the cover image of your song via Soundcloud and go back to check the post you made on Facebook it doesn't always update it right away. That is because things like cookies and client sessions take place where Facebook will save a temporary version of that image so that it is easier to load in the future. Those cookie images may be less quality (hense the entire concept of cookies, lower quality images mean faster loading time).

Again, with the bit of knowledge I have, this is all but a theory. I can think of 3 other reasons why image quality is shy of what your original image looks like. It all depends on how the images are transferred and stored within Soundcloud and your 3rd party social network.

Answer?
There is no answer. There is nothing YOU can do as an artist to design your 3rd party social network post artwork better. You can make your Soundcloud Images look better by designing them to the static dimensions of 800x800, but your 3rd party social network posts will never look as good as the original because they will always go through some processing.
Cheers, it does make sense. I actually wasn't aware that there was a native size of 800x800. I'll try aiming to work to this next time I upload an image.

Scott
Hello, I have the same problem it seems.

Everytime I upload an image, either for the profile picture, for a track artwork or for the header, the quality looks fine at first (identical to the original) but when I refresh the page it appears blurry, as if horribly compressed.

For the profile picture, I have tried to upload it at 2000x2000px, 1000x1000px and 800x800px, jpeg and png. Nothing seems to work, even the static dimensions.

For the header I just tried a 3898x3898px (sorry for the odd size)in png. Since I thought the issue was identical to the profile picture one I didn't make any further test.

So, what to do...? Could it be an issue from Soundcloud?