Question

crackling during playback on mobile

Consistent crackling during playback on mobile, even when on only WiFi. occurs with almost every song. I have an HTC one mini with latest android 4.42 and soundcloud updates. Does not ever occur with music on phone or other streaming services. Thoughts or suggestions?

47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there,

Sorry to hear that. Hmm, can you explain a bit further what exactly you mean by "crackling"? Is it that the music pauses, then resumes? (like, is this due to the app not buffering properly) Or, is it indeed a crackling sound, as if the audio was distorted?

Also, can you provide the link to a track that we can use to test this and make sure we're both on the same page? Other then that, have you tried any troubleshooting steps yes (restarting the app, restarting the device, logging out and back in, deleting the app and downloading it again...)?

Let us know, happy to take another look with you.

Cheers
Mathis
https://m.soundcloud.com/bluesatellit... happens with this one
It's yes to your first 2 questions. Appears to be a buffering issue, however pausing and letting it buffer doesn't help at all. Also noticed connectivity issues with my pc, wondering if it is account related. Its like the sound when your speakers are turned all the way up and you plug the headphone into the Jack.
Have installed and reinstalled app, I'll try Again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Hmm, I wasn't able to get the issue you were describing from over here reproduced unfortunately - the track was playing fine both on the mobile site as well as through the Android app.

Maybe can you try to play that track when you're at a friend's place or somewhere where your have access to a different internet network? This would help narrowing down the root cause further. Sorry I cannot be of much more help at this point :-/

Cheers
Mathis
It is definitely not the connection haha. I dont experience it with any other application. I just bought the HTC Desire and this is the first time I have experienced it. And it is with every song. It is possible it is a problem with HTC however it seems odd it is only with this application and not youtube, or any other radio app. Actually just exchanged the phone for another of the same model and the problem persists. Was thinking it was the phone or possibly the speakers being overloaded but clearly it is not.
Also happens with headphones
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again r u e,

Hmm, sorry to hear this still isn't working. Our mobile developers are currently looking into options to improve playback stability in general. At this time, I can only recommend you to take a look at our Android Beta program to get the most up to date versions of our app. You can join the beta program here.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Mathis
The same happens with my HTC desire... Crackling on almost every song. Even with headphones. But it's fine when I switch over to my surface tablet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
The same happens with my HTC desire... Crackling on almost every song. Even with headphones. But it's fine when I switch over to my surface tablet.
Hi The Clovtar,

Hmm, we've recently released a new update that adresses playback issues - can you try and see if you're up to the latest version please?

If so and the issues persist, I'd recommend for you to take a look and join our Android beta program so you get the most recent version of our app.

Cheers
Mathis
I get issue as well - started a few weeks ago (galaxy s6). It's prominent on tracks like this https://soundcloud.com/shura/shura-white-light - it's not a persistent crackle, more like the occasional scratch or pop - like a worn out cd. Doesn't appear on pc, so it's not the upload, and I've tried reinstalling and listening on different networks (work, friends, public). I'm going to try applying for the beta.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I get issue as well - started a few weeks ago (galaxy s6). It's prominent on tracks like this https://soundcloud.com/shura/shura-white-light - it's not a persistent crackle, more like the occasional scratch or pop - like a worn out cd. Doesn't appear on pc, so it's not the upload, and I've tried reinstalling and listening on different networks (work, friends, public). I'm going to try applying for the beta.
Thanks for the additional info Maddieman!

-Gina
Happening on my htc desire 816 as well... Only happens with soundcloud ... Web nd app both
This is happening with my samsung galaxy s6 also. If anyone has ideas it would be greatly appriciated
Have the same problem with soundcloud. Every other music service ive tried works fine.
Happening to me too with an S5.. nothing I can do about it.. really sucks
This is an ongoing issue with me as well and commented by listeners .
Originally I encoded as WAv file (32bit /96khz sampling rate).
Am I under the impression, Soundcloud can only accept Redbook Standards or artifacts such as consistent crackling ensues?
https://soundcloud.com/stymiek/trancallucinations
Happening to me too with an S5.. nothing I can do about it.. really sucks
http://www.apk4fun.com/history/1563/ I reverted to an older version... I still get the odd pop crackle, but it's was less severe and not as frequent for me...
I have a brand new note 4. Just updated to newest sound cloud and running version 4.4.4 android. I have this issue cracks and pops.. What andriod version are you running??
I've had the same problem for a while now. It's an incessant clicking during playback. Using Android on a Samsung. Don't get this with YouTube or Netflix or anything else. Just soundcloud.
I've updated my Xperia Z3 D6603 to Android 6.0 a couple of days ago and am now receiving the same issue. Have double checked by restarting phone, reinstalling app, and verifying that it only occurs on Soundcloud. To try to describe the noise: It sounds like when you have a damaged/faulty headphone cord that is being twisted causing loss of fidelity, distortion, and crackling. It doesn't happen constantly but consistently, recurring about every 15 seconds for about 2 seconds.
Hello, just like wylievc, i did the Android 6.0 update 2 days ago on my Xperia Z3 and i now have the same issue. I use Soundcloud a lot, always in my office, and since the update the crackling is present all the time, not matter the songs. I did the Soundcloud update too.

Please investigate this it is very annoying !
Hey there,

Sorry to hear that. Hmm, can you explain a bit further what exactly you mean by "crackling"? Is it that the music pauses, then resumes? (like, is this due to the app not buffering properly) Or, is it indeed a crackling sound, as if the audio was distorted?

Also, can you provide the link to a track that we can use to test this and make sure we're both on the same page? Other then that, have you tried any troubleshooting steps yes (restarting the app, restarting the device, logging out and back in, deleting the app and downloading it again...)?

Let us know, happy to take another look with you.

Cheers
Mathis

Can I post a remix from a remix comp from Wavo? I believe SoundCloud and Wavo are connected. I tried to download a Jasmine Thompson remix which I used her vocals. Are the vocals ok to use since it was given in a remix comp?
I've updated my Xperia Z3 D6603 to Android 6.0 a couple of days ago and am now receiving the same issue. Have double checked by restarting phone, reinstalling app, and verifying that it only occurs on Soundcloud. To try to describe the noise: It sounds like when you have a damaged/faulty headphone cord that is being twisted causing loss of fidelity, distortion, and crackling. It doesn't happen constantly but consistently, recurring about every 15 seconds for about 2 seconds.
After more exposure to the bug, for me, it seems to happen only when using cellular data and not when using WiFi.
Happening on my htc desire 816 as well... Only happens with soundcloud ... Web nd app both
I am also using htc desire 816 but i never experience any issue like you are facing. But i advise you to check update for your firmware. Also make some space free for smooth running of applications in your phone. Clear miscellaneous as well as cached app data. You may also take more support from Htc Desire 816 Manual. Good Luck. :8