Question

crackling during playback on mobile

Show first post

47 replies

Consistent crackling during playback on mobile, even when on only WiFi. occurs with almost every song. I have an HTC one mini with latest android 4.42 and soundcloud updates. Does not ever occur with music on phone or other streaming services. Thoughts or suggestions?
Keep all applications and music players updated. Try to also install new firmware in your device. If all these tips get fail then according to written in Htc One mini Manual:
Press and hold power for 10-15 seconds to reboot the device using the Power Cutoff method
Note: This will ensure that all third party applications are being turned off
Lower the volume by pressing the volume down key
Try different speakers or headphones
Still getting this crackling audio on my Pixel. Both on android 7.1.2 and 8.0.
Getting the same crackles on the iPhone 7. It's been this way even after updates and reinstalls.
I experience this for about a week now on my iPhone 7 plus.
I'm also having this sound bug on my iphone 7.
When playing songs on soundcloud there is weird popping/crackling.
kinda sound like a ping pong ball bouncing super fast inside my phone lol.

Not got this with any other apps and had it for the past few days.
Been having cracking audio on my iPhone 7 as well. I'll play the same song off youtube or Spotify just fine and it's clear through a Bluetooth speaker just crackles through the actual iPhone speaker happening about 4 days now uninstalled and reinstalled twice
Free up a bunch of memory on the phone. Delete pictures etc have a lot of temp space in memory. 2GB. This helped on iPhone 7 as I was low on memory space.
Same thing happening on my iPhone 7
This same thing is happening on my Samsung s7 (Andriod), crackling and popping noises on every track. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, cleared data, all of that and still get this problem. This issue doesn't occur when I play the same songs on YouTube.
Consistent crackling during playback on mobile, even when on only WiFi. occurs with almost every song. I have an HTC one mini with latest android 4.42 and soundcloud updates. Does not ever occur with music on phone or other streaming services. Thoughts or suggestions?

I actually have the same problem. When I close out of the app the crackling starts, so pretty much you either have to be connected Bluetooth or wired, speaker wise you would have to keep the app open or constantly press the home button. It's an issue for both Apple and android sadly, so hopefully they are working on a fix
I have this issue aswell on my Galaxy S8+ when i use the AUX cord or anything wired like earbuds. This is extremely annoying especially when working out. Hope this gets fixed ASAP.
Look at this before it's too late
https://soundcloud.com/snicky-snicky/sets/snicky
Amazing that this problem seems to have persisted for the past 2+ years without a dam fix so far...also yea I have this problem too with my Pixel, didn't recall it having this problem when I started using the app but has seemed to be progressively getting worse, more frequent crackling, longer amounts of crackling. Happens whether I use the SoundCloud app or using the browser version as well. Also happens whether i am using earbuds or listening just through the phone speakers.
I'm also having this problem on an S9+. I've been using Soundcloud for years and it only just recently started. I've tried multiple pairs of headphones with the same results. It isn't happening on any other apps.
SoundCloud won't fix it 😞 I'm surprised none of the employees have a similar issue
come on, this should be like issue #1 that needs to be solved. Soundcloud on mobile is unusable for me like this.
come on, this should be like issue #1 that needs to be solved. Soundcloud on mobile is unusable for me like this.

this is likely due to a time base error. Phones have notoriously crappy clock chips, they are synced by and display internet time. THe server computer stream plays its clock and the clock in your phone drift apart by nanoseconds, resulting in the intermittent pops and clicks.

Time base errors can be caused by a number of things... audio & video playback from one device to another will both glitch without being synchronized, played across the internet from one device to another just adds more potential for errors ... all those samples are mapped to the time base. Two different time base references and Chinese rice crispies !

unfortunately the only way I know to correct this is by connecting all devices ( in the studio) to a master clock source... I dont think apps are sophisticated enough to change sync clocks... yet.

TrY adjusting buffer settings both larger and smaller if possible and hope for the best. If the file will download back to your device and play properly... it's a synchronization problem.

Hth

come on, this should be like issue #1 that needs to be solved. Soundcloud on mobile is unusable for me like this.this is likely due to a time base error. Phones have notoriously crappy clock chips, they are synced by and display internet time. THe server computer stream plays its clock and the clock in your phone drift apart by nanoseconds, resulting in the intermittent pops and clicks.

Time base errors can be caused by a number of things... audio & video playback from one device to another will both glitch without being synchronized, played across the internet from one device to another just adds more potential for errors ... all those samples are mapped to the time base. Two different time base references and Chinese rice crispies !

unfortunately the only way I know to correct this is by connecting all devices ( in the studio) to a master clock source... I dont think apps are sophisticated enough to change sync clocks... yet.

TrY adjusting buffer settings both larger and smaller if possible and hope for the best. If the file will download back to your device and play properly... it's a synchronization problem.

Hth

Thank you for your response. I'm a musician and I use my phone a lot for listening to and making music (LG v30, it even has a dedicated DAC) and there is no other app or service that has this issue. There must be something going on... it's like the SoundCloud app is not using the correct drivers or something but I'm no programmer so I'm just guessing.

come on, this should be like issue #1 that needs to be solved. Soundcloud on mobile is unusable for me like this.this is likely due to a time base error. Phones have notoriously crappy clock chips, they are synced by and display internet time. THe server computer stream plays its clock and the clock in your phone drift apart by nanoseconds, resulting in the intermittent pops and clicks.

Hth
Thank you for your response. I'm a musician and I use my phone a lot for listening to and making music (LG v30, it even has a dedicated DAC) and there is no other app or service that has this issue. There must be something going on... it's like the SoundCloud app is not using the correct drivers or something but I'm no programmer so I'm just guessing.

The only thing I know is that Soundcloud is using a custom audio player for both iOS and Android, that's the reason why services like Viper4Android FX, which is an advanced audio toolkit for Android, won't work. If you use a modded app with the standard audio player(for iOS and Android). You'll have no issues. I am able to mod some older builds but they have changed up a lot in recent builds of the app.

This is of course outrageous and should be changed very soon, but I doubt that'll happen. Given the problem is going for a couple of years now...
A couple of years?! If this doesn't get fixed soon they will lose their user base 1 by 1 and they won't come back. Definitely the case for me at least. The mobile app is unusable in this state.
This app has become utterly worthless with this persisting crackling and popping. The problem is the worst it's ever been for me. Whoever is responsible for this problem should be fired. Why is a nearly fatal flaw still in existence after more than a year?
I'm an LGv30 user also and i too have the problem where DAC is not utilized with soundcloud player.

Never mind the constant crackling and interference when streaming music. (which i have over come when i actually download the music and play it locally, it improves it by 80% but not completely)

I have no problem paying $12 dollars a month for this service, BUT I SIMPLY CANNOT PAY IT WHEN IT DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY!!!

This all comes down to the inbuilt soundcloud player...... its simply crap!!!

I'M NOW CANCELLING MY SUBSCRIPTION NOW BECAUSE OF THIS.... TIME TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE