Sticky Solved

Is there a way to listen to Soundcloud tracks offline?

Is there a way to listen to Soundcloud tracks offline?
icon

Best answer by Jonathan 11 November 2016, 17:28

Hey there,

In order to be able to listen to your Collection offline, you’ll need a SoundCloud Go subscription. You can find more about how to do that here: http://soundcloud.com/go

Once you’ve got SoundCloud Go, you can save tracks for offline listening by finding and tapping the download arrow on individual tracks or at the top of your Likes or individual playlists on your iOS or Android device.

You can also choose to save your entire Collection for offline listening using the ‘Save Automatically’ option in your offline listening settings.

To find this page on iOS go to: Collection page (‘Head’ icon) > More menu (three dots in the top right corner) > Offline Listening settings

To find this page on Android go to: More menu (three lines in the top right of the screen) > Offline listening

When you save your likes or playlists for offline listening, you can check how many are being saved on the bottom of your screen on iOS, or through your Android device’s drop-down menu. Note that the app will only save as many tracks offline as your device has space for. You can adjust the amount of storage the app uses for saving tracks in your offline listening settings by sliding the storage bar.

For more details and images see our Help Center article: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/2344062-how-to-save-for-offline-listening?b_id=10251

Cheers,
Jonathan.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

68 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Chris,

Thanks for visiting the Help Forum. No, at this time SoundCloud requires a network connection however we're planning for offline sync in the future.

Cheers,
Gina
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for visiting the Help Forum. No, at this time SoundCloud requires a network connection however we're planning for offline sync in the future.

Cheers,
Gina

For some reason I'm able to play some tracks offline already on the app on my Android phone. I haven't figured out why though. Comments?
Userlevel 2
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Soundcloud mobile on android allowed playing songs offline for years, but this feature was recently removed, forcing users to be online at all times, probably in an effort to start introducing ads on mobile and DRM.
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Hey Gina,

please add an offline function for a premium upgrade. I would pay (for example) 4,95 €/month for this function. Soundcloud is the best music platform on the web, way ahead of Spotify and iTunes in Vibe, Usability, Interaction, Feeling and "Musicness". Please, do us the favor and add this feature!
Userlevel 1
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Any idea why they removed this really handy function?
As I used Soundcloud as my primary music player it started eating through expensive data on my phone as I noticed it didn't load songs in offline modus anymore.
Soundcloud wanting to get rid of users? Any alternatives without downloading songs/switching to Spotify?
Or any idea when this function will come back?

Cheers
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Hi Gina,

Any update to this feature request? Love using SoundCloud but as a someone who tries to be a conservative Data User the lack of Offline Playback often sends me to other services. Rhymes with "Jot-ify."
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

6 months on - do you have any intention of implementing this feature?

I note also that soundcloud is busy closing down apps which offer a downloading feature.

Leads me to draw the conclusion that Soundcloud jealously guards "its" intellectual content which is freely uploaded by its unpaid contributors.
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Ah I didn't realise that Soundcloud actually had this feature and then removed it. To put the kindest possible face on this, I assume that they are trying to find a way to prevent people from bulk downloading their contributors content and that the previous cache did not allow them to do this. The other possibility is that there are no plans and the cake is a lie.
Try this on Android:
1. Listen full song online.
2. Disconnect data or WiFi.
3. Now you can listen song offline with the app.

Also, once you play the song online it gets downloaded to SDcard/Android/data/com.soundcloud.android/files/stream/Complete. You just need to add .MP3
Userlevel 1
Ahem.. Thats the function that got removed... Is it back again?
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

if you don't add this feature, it makes it virtually impossilble to the majoroity of mobile users to listen on the move. that often is when you have time to listen and explore music.
JUST DO IT!
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Follow this method, stopped using SoundCloud but this easy method gets the caching feature right back

http://techbeasts.com/2015/07/11/how-...
Mi_o wrote:

http://techbeasts.com/2015/07/11/how-... use this method, gets caching feature right back
Will never use Soundcloud without offline capabilities. Not everyone has perfect Internet, yo.
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Cheers mate! Exactly what i was looking for 🙂
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Argh! So dissatisfied with the fact that I can't play any liked music offline. I've been waiting for this new feature to come up for so long. Hopefully you make my dream about playing music offline true, Gina!
Userlevel 2
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

This isn't a new feature. It's an old feature that soundcloud used to offer but then removed when they started making deals with major record companies. They don't care about user expereience, they just care about tracking you and spamming you with ads.
They have somehow managed to block communication with SoundCloud servers when using this app. Be warned it doesn't work perfectly.
Mi_o wrote:

They have somehow managed to block communication with SoundCloud servers when using this version, you will get "no internet" on your strea!. Doesn't work perfectly but still not obsolete.
Hello Gina, can you give us a hint on how long it will take you to make a version capable of offline playback happen? Though I like Soundlcloud, without offline function this app isn't very useful to me...
Userlevel 1
Due to the majority of phone users having very limited data in their cellular plans, without some sort of offline listening this app is essentially useless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hello all,

Just a confirmation that offline sync is in the works. I do not have a release date but for all of you wondering if it will ever happen, the answer is yes.

Cheers,
Gina
I would even pay Soundcloud instead of Spotify if I could have offline music with SC
Well, so much for the freedom of music and endless repetitive data charges for the lack of it. The purpose of this website/app is absolutely null. Isn't it simpler to just youtube the songs and listen.
Gina wrote:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Gina

Hello Gina,

I'd like to formally invest in the establishment of the new offline feature that you have aforementioned above. If you should decide to officially organize this in a new update, please feel free to contact me through my personal number wich will be provided below.

Best regards,

(304) 771-4060