Question

My soundcloud mobile application doesn't work without wifi, it doesn't work even with 3G what is the problem ?

• 14 November 2014
  • 26 replies

My soundcloud mobile app works fine when im at home where there is wifi. But outside where there is no wifi, it does not work with 3G.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there,

Thank you for posting. Hmm, let's see. The mobile app does need a working internet connection in order to Stream properly. If you've experiencing that it is working properly over Wi-Fi, however not when you're connected via 3G, this most likely is an issue with the connection. Any chance you've talked to your mobile network provider about this? Also, are you given a specific error message that you can screenshot and send over so we can take a closer look?

Last but not least, may I ask where you are located? We've been informed that SoundCloud might not be working over 3G in some regions, hence my question.

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 1
I have had a similar issue. A loading error message pops up for the my iphone 5. Then on the Sound Cloud app at the my playlist screen to play music there is a loading error message with arrows in a circular shape. Afterhitting the circular arrows a few times the music will come back but its in and out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I have had a similar issue. A loading error message pops up for the my iphone 5. Then on the Sound Cloud app at the my playlist screen to play music there is a loading error message with arrows in a circular shape. Afterhitting the circular arrows a few times the music will come back but its in and out.
Hi,

Keep in mind that the app has no offline sync and so it is sensitive to network drops. For best playback please make sure you are on a strong network. Also, links expires so if a track suddenly stops just swipe to next track and then back to renew the link.

Hope that helps!
Gina
Hi

The app used to work without a connection, if i had previously had the music streamed and cahed on my phone, i have used it many times on planes and it worked fine, i had previously loaded all the music throufh wifi, recently it stoped working without continous streaming. But i recently moved it to the sd card instead of internal memory could that b it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi John,

Sorry but again, the app is not designed to work without a strong connection.

-Gina
If a phone is able to stream music videos on YouTube, but this app can't play an mp3, then there's nothing wrong with the connection or phone, there is clearly a problem with the application design.
I have the same issue, free up your sd card, so the cache can be stored. The new update has issues it doesnt automatically switch cache memory between internal and external, before it used to do it, my advice leave soundcloud on your phone memory, clear up memory
I'm having the exact same issue. App will not work under my 4G nor 3G connection, but it works/plays just fine on WiFi.

I highly doubt it's an internet connection problem. I'm about to stream Twitch.tv, YouTube, and Netflix videos in HD with no problems what so ever. Yet Soundcloud app is only able to connect via WiFi?

This problem is only recent. SC implemented a recent patch to fix issues for Samsung devices, only to break my LG device.
I have the exact seem issue. Works fine on wi-fi but cannot stream over my data network, even though the data network had a comparable speed to my wi-fi connection.
The problem doesn't exist in lower versions of the app, v2.8.3 and v2.8.5 are _THE BEST_ soundcloud app versions released to date. ALL of the new versions do this freezing crap, but not the old one. Recently they've changed something server side that causes the old versions to crash upon login, thanks a lot for that one SoundCloud, disable/break the one app version that ACTUALLY WORKS over 3g.
I recommend you guys google up the old version of the app, clear the app data+cache, uninstall the piece of CRAP new version, and try to see if the old version lets you login. If you can login, your music will play without skips. SoundCloud is the #1 prime example of why to NEVER EVER update your apps.
Turn on airplane mode -> Launch SoundCloud 2.8 -> Click and wait for Likes page to show -> Disable airplane mode

Enjoy using functional soundcloud over 3G/HSPA 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I'm having the exact same issue. App will not work under my 4G nor 3G connection, but it works/plays just fine on WiFi.

I highly doubt it's an internet connection problem. I'm about to stream Twitch.tv, YouTube, and Netflix videos in HD with no problems what so ever. Yet Soundcloud app is only able to connect via WiFi?

This problem is only recent. SC implemented a recent patch to fix issues for Samsung devices, only to break my LG device.

Hi there,

Thank you for posting on our help forum. Have you tried the basic troubleshooting steps for Android yet? If not so, here they are:

1. Log out of the app
2. Force stop it by going to your Application Manager and clicking 'Force Stop'.
3. Under this menu also click 'Clear Cache'.
4. Restart your device
5. Open the app and log in again

*If none of these steps help to sort out the issue, please try deleting the app and re-installing it again from the Google Play store.

I hope this helps!

hi,

I am living the same problem and tried your solutions. Unfortunately nothing has worked and the problem continues now.

i came here hoping to find a solution for the exactly same problem i am having with my iphone 6 plus. very unfortunate. none of the remedies offered by Matis is working!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi there Ebrahim,

Sorry to hear you're facing the same issue. Any chance you could send over a screenshot of what you're seeing when SoundCloud fails to play tracks for you on 3G? Also, have you double checked that other internet-reliant services continue to load content on the same internet connection?

Yeah I'm on the same boat with everyone. On my end it starts playing for at least 10-15 secs then skips to the next track. I also noticed that the music bar thing is all the way at the end of the track before play. Wasn't doing this a month ago, I believe. Please fix.

Oh yeah I forgotten to add that if I play songs longer than 30 mins it plays ok. So I'm pretty sure it has sometime to do with the streaming speed and it's throwing the program off.

I would possibly research this issue with your device manufacturer. Hopefully they are working with SC to roll out a fix. I believe Samsung/SC did this a couple months back and I am no longer experiencing this issue. GL.

Now that you mentioned it, I did have a update to my galaxy 4 around that same time. It is possible that it could have bothered the app some how.
I have this exact problem, that just recently started happening after the latest update on my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (SM-S820L[.05]) running Android 4.4.4.
A screen shot would be useless, because there is no error message, and my network works fine. I can stream from every other app over my 4G network, except for this 'updated' version of Soundcloud. I was able to play short pieces of songs that had been preloaded over wifi earlier that day, then it would just stop after the cached part of the song was over. It works wonderfully over Wi-Fi, but it now useless everywhere I actually use the app. If there is any way that I can help- like testing beta software or anything of that nature, I would be happy to support Soundcloud.
I have this exact problem, that just recently started happening after the latest update on my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (SM-S820L[.05]) running Android 4.4.4.
A screen shot would be useless, because there is no error message, and my network works fine. I can stream from every other app over my 4G network, except for this 'updated' version of Soundcloud. I was able to play short pieces of songs that had been preloaded over wifi earlier that day, then it would just stop after the cached part of the song was over. It works wonderfully over Wi-Fi, but it now useless everywhere I actually use the app. If there is any way that I can help- like testing beta software or anything of that nature, I would be happy to support Soundcloud.

I'm in the beta testing and they are working on it. It's getting close too. If you want to join send them an email about your issue through feedback and go from there.

Plz fix sound cloud always worked without internet
Hey there,

Thank you for posting. Hmm, let's see. The mobile app does need a working internet connection in order to Stream properly. If you've experiencing that it is working properly over Wi-Fi, however not when you're connected via 3G, this most likely is an issue with the connection. Any chance you've talked to your mobile network provider about this? Also, are you given a specific error message that you can screenshot and send over so we can take a closer look?

Last but not least, may I ask where you are located? We've been informed that SoundCloud might not be working over 3G in some regions, hence my question.

Cheers,
Mathis

Hi ! I'm in Vietnam and i can use soundcloud via 3G before but 2 months ago from now,i can't! It only use via internet. Please tell me why. Thanks!
P/s: i'm using iphone 6s plus
Hey there,

Cheers,
Mathis

I could use it on 3g about 3 days ago. But now it just stopped working. I reinstalled the app but to no avail.
P.S im using a 6 plus.

is there any fix for this yet?