Question

Pre load tracks and offline play

Userlevel 1
Before the latest sound-cloud version if you pressed play to a track it would load before it started playing. With that way you could listen to it while offline without having to play the whole length of the track before hand. Now that feature it doesn't seems available. If i don't play the whole length of a track online, when i try to listen to it again offline it will stop where i stopped listening when i had internet connection. Is there a setting for that? i don't seem to be able to find anything.

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi GP,

Thanks for writing in about this and sorry for any confusion! The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. We have since improved our technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

Again, sorry for the confusion caused.

Best,
Gina
Userlevel 1
so now we can't play any songs of the liked list or the playlists right (in offline mode of course), that means my 800 mb cache are all deleted ???? and i can't listen to my liked songs anymore ??? right
please correct me and say im wrong .....
Userlevel 1
Gina wrote:

Hi GP,

Thanks for writing in about this and sorry for any confusion! The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. We have since improved our technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

Best,
Gina

_
Userlevel 2
True offline playback would be great.
Userlevel 2
Gina wrote:

Hi GP,

Best,
Gina

Hi gina, just so you know, your technical capabilities haven't been improved. All you've done is forced users to be online at all times, probably in an effort to start introducing ads on mobile and DRM.
Userlevel 1
Gina wrote:

Hi GP,

Best,
Gina

Gina the problem seems to get worse and worse. Not only now we can't play tracks offline but the amount of data that soundcloud uses up is insane. In order to use soundcloud on my phone now i have to change mobile package with unlimited data - which i'm not going to do. Your ''improved our technical capabilities'' forced me to stop using soundcloud.
Gina wrote:

Hi GP,

Best,
Gina

Same , there is no more reason to use the mobile app for me anymore
Userlevel 1
Gina wrote:

Hi GP,

Best,
Gina

Copy that. Recently deleted SC from my phone and won't re-install until we get the caching back.
I'm not going to pay the insane amounts of money providers are charging for contracts with data volumes that would properly support SC streaming (5 to 10GB) here in Germany, which will set you back at least 100€ a month. For me the current way to get SC mixes on my phone is by downloading them on my computer and then use iTunes to get them on the phone.
Sorry SC, but without any caching / offline playback, the SC app is basically useless when you are on celluar data.
Userlevel 2
Please bring back audio cache and offline playback... it's very usefull. I think it would mean alot to us all.
Userlevel 2
Soundcloud are in the pocket of the networks. I wasted half a GB of data just listening to music for an evening.
Userlevel 1
Gina wrote:

Hi GP,

Best,
Gina

same, i stopped and im using now spotify i swear im not kidding .
i live also in germany and i use SC only when i m cooking at home coz i m lazy to bring my laptop to the kitchen.
so in fact SC is only usefull if you are in bathroom or kitchen 🙂
Userlevel 1
Agreed, I'm no longer using Soundcloud on my phone, which means I basically don't use it. Bring back the caching, I thought it was a feature, but now that it's gone, what's the point of SC? It's the worst! And I thought the whole point of it was to be the best and accessible for new artists? I luckily have quite a lot of GB on my plan, but I still don't use it for fear of how much data it eats. If you aren't user friendly, then i'm not interested.
Please this app is now forcing us to use other apps
this app used to be awesome and WAS the best thing to happen for phones, but now forcing people to stay online and pay for it when they are out and about is just so stupid. why would someone double their monthly bill to stream music when they are out? it would cost more to stream than to buy the songs outright on iTunes in a matter of months. really pissed me off.
Same here, dont gonna get an unlimited 3G connection, its just insane there are zero improvements and now cache is gone its a useless app cause we all know it eats your plan as its was candy!
Soundcloud really pisses me off that you cant use it offline and that Gina lady just said she was going to put it back to so you could listen to it offline that was fucking 6 months ago and you still cant listen to soundcloud offline WHAT the fuck I WANT TO LISTEN TO SOUNDCLOUD OFFLINE I HAVE SPOTIFY BUT FOR SOME REASON YOU HAVE TO HAVE A STUPID PAYED PREMIUM ACCOUNT TO LISTEN TO SPOTIFY OFFLINE THATS STUPID YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY TO LISTEN TO MUSIC OFFLINE WHATS THE POINT OF SOUNDCLOUD IF YOU CANT

LISTEN TO IT OFFLINE MUSIC IS TO PLAY EVERYWHERE NOT JUST IN YOUR HOUSE FIX THIS LET US PLAY SOUNDCLOUD OFFLINE AND DONT MAKE IT SO WE HAVE TO PAY FOR OFFLINE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC ON SOUNDCLOUD MAKE IT FREE!!!
I stopped using Soundcloud and moved to Podcasts instead. I like to listen offline.
Userlevel 1
Agreed. Soundcloud mobile app deleted.
Deleted Soundcloud because of this along with many others I know, allow us to play tracks offline or else it's just useless !!!
Y'all seem to not realize that the only thing making streaming music free is the fact that it's STREAMING. If you can listen to it offline, then you essentially own it, and the artists definitely deserve some form of compensation. It sucks that we have transitioned SO far into a state of affairs where listeners feel automatically entitled to people's art without compensation to the point that they think it's some kind of injustice if they can't listen to music for free.
Tim Jones-Yelvington wrote:

Y'all seem to not realize that the only thing making streaming music free is the fact that it's STREAMING. If you can listen to it offline, then you essentially own it, and the artists definitely deserve some form of compensation. It sucks that we have transitioned SO far into a state of affairs where listeners feel automatically entitled to people's art without compensation to the point that they think it's some kind of injustice if they can't listen to music for free.

Totally agree with you. But they should propose an alternative to this : pay a premium account or have some ads. Simply kill an essential feature is NOT user friendly...
Yeah. I'd be down for buying a Soundcloud subscription.

As it is, neither me nor my friends can use the service without downloading and caching. Soundcloud is living the elitist bubble where everyone is always connected and doesn't care about data rates.
really you told us from ling time you will reactivate the offline steaming. why you promise something you know you will not do this 😶
I have it on my phone now? Btw i was ev1ldab