Question

Benefits of genre merges/undercategorization?

• 24 March 2018
  • 0 replies

Hi!
At one point on this site, folk was a separate genre. I don't expect this to be a problem for most people, but singer-songwriter and folk can be two very different genres, and putting them together essentially eliminates the ability for actual folk music to get anywhere via SoundCloud's charts.

I don't expect to have the genres separated again, as there's probably a reason, but I would really like to know what that is.

What benefit is served by simplifying genres down to the lowest common denominator?

I am confident that the people who want to listen to a certain kind of music not only will find the most accurate label for their favored genre, but will be happier to hear what is actually what they listen to instead of predominantly something else. Splitting genres further will allow artists to find their actual place instead of simply putting it under a tag that they think will be most beneficial to their play count.
Additionally, you can organize the top charts by the popularity of the genre as well as the tracks themselves, so if a genre is unpopular, it can be found, but it won't get in the way of anyone who knows what they're looking for.

This has been bothering me for a while, and I am confident that it is something that has measurably negative effects on the site.

Thank you for your patience with an ornery user.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!