Question

Top Charts full of wrong music genre songs

• 19 January 2017
  • 12 replies

I wanted to listen top50 in alternative rock...and every song is rap genre, not really cool. Can you give to listeners a tool, that we can report such a "mistake" and soundcloud admins can decide, if the song belongs to this category, or not. Thank you

12 replies

Commenting on this hoping it will bump it up and get answered. I started surfing to see if anyone had mentioned this because it's stupid and applies to all the indie and alt genres. They need to address this soon
Thank you! Even the Metal top 50 is plagued with rap, a dubstep track is sitting on number 1 as of writing. It's annoying and ruins the mood when I'm rocking out and a trash rapper comes on. Ability to report for wrong genres would be greatly appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for reporting this. Just an FYI that I've forwarded this to the responsible product team on our end.
i'm a acid-tekno dj myself and it would be nice if there was a acid chart..
now there are only basic genres
I wanted to listen top50 in alternative rock...and every song is rap genre, not really cool. Can you give to listeners a tool, that we can report such a "mistake" and soundcloud admins can decide, if the song belongs to this category, or not. Thank you

This is ******* annoying as shit. I am listening to classic to study should I just use another website? Too much #Rap in #Classical

Attention whores
Hi there,

Thanks for reporting this. Just an FYI that I've forwarded this to the responsible product team on our end.

Please ask them to allow users to "suggest" moving music into the correct category
Okay, so I'm not just crazy. I started out listening to Folk & Singer-Songwriter. I figured maybe they had a very, very broad definition of Singer-Songwriter. So I moved on to Jazz & Blues. Same out-of-place cr@p all over it. Okay, surely Classical is Classical, right? Nope. Same thing. It's hard to believe they're not aware of this issue.
Yes this is a huge problem. We have struggled to find the right genre for our music. Our music is like older acts like The Police, Joe Jackson, old Elvis Costello.. or like a bit less old acts like U2, Matchbox Twenty, etc. Or like newer acts like Lower than Atlantis, The Struts, etc.

These are historically some of the biggest acts ever and they all label themselves as Alternative, yet I can't find a single "alternative" act in the charts that sounds anything like any of these bands.

We've changed our Genre to Indie just to try to get in something that people can find us, but it's not much better. Country fans or Rock fans would be more apt to like our music than the typical hiphop/rap fan so maybe we should change to country!

Very frustrating to be a band with pretty good tunes, pretty good production, in a genre that is hugely popular and nobody can find us!

The Moderns - Check out the new album Blue Sky with hits The Price You Pay, Again, and Gotta Rock In My Roll from the upcoming indie film "In Between Days."
By the way, this isn't just a soundcloud problem. It's a streaming and online music problem. All the sites have issues like this.

I'm not sure how to fix it. Unfortunately there are many people who won't play by the rules in an effort to make money or get notoriety. Spotify has had a big problem, there was even a band that put up 45 seconds of silence then played it in a loop so many times it generating something like $20,000 in revenue. They were eventually taken down, but the damage was done.

As SC moves into paying artists they are going to have the same issues. But it brings up some really big social questions about how to handle it.

On one hand, it needs some sort of regulation. But on the other hand, any type of regulation means the little guy might get screwed out of a platform to share music. Question like, are you gonna take down a Beatles song because some weirdo put it on a loop and played it for months? Probably not, but you would take down my music if someone did the same.

I don't have the answers, but there are a bunch of difficult issues around these concepts that will eventually have to be controlled in some way. All because a bunch of nitwits wouldn't play by the rules.

The Moderns.
RnB and soul is PUERELY Spanish rap lmfao Trap is PURELY dub step lmfao wtf is going on
Can we edit the genres on the main page? I will never be interested in listening to music from the Chill or Study

categories.
Thank you!

Hi there,

It's quite bad for us musicians too. We stuck up in a dead end and nowbody will like our songs over there. I think about leaving SoundCloud because of this. Tell this to your responsible product team!