Answered

How do I keep tracks on my page from playing sequentially?

Hi there... I have a specialized need for the audio tracks on my SoundCloud page. I'm the Online Education Coordinator for the Bob Moog Foundation, a non-profit headed by the daughter of the man who invented the synthesizer. We administer a 2nd-grade science curriculum teaching the science of sound using musical examples and electronic music instruments.

One of our classroom activities teaches the difference between musical sound and noise. I have posted 10 short audio clips of different sounds to support the activity, with each clip accessed by a different thumbnail. I need each clip to be played individually by our teachers, and my instructions have them command-clicking each thumbnail so that a separate browser window opens for each clip.

Unfortunately, when the clip from the first thumbnail is played, the SoundCloud page continues to play all the other clips in playlist fashion.

How do I turn this function off so that each audio clip will play individually?
icon

Best answer by Mathis 10 January 2017, 11:10

Hi there @Dr. Bob,

Thanks for outlining your case so thoroughly. I hope I'm not overlooking anything, but I understand your site contains a hyperlink that will redirect your students to the track on SoundCloud.com, correct?

How about you make the soundclips on SoundCloud private, and adjust the hyperlinks to redirect to the private track? This way, no other tracks will be playing afterwards.

You can chance a track's privacy setting in its edit mode (by going to the track and clicking the small pen icon. Make sure you're logged in to the account from which you've uploaded the track).

Once this is updated, grab the secret link as described on this Help Center article and have your thumbnail on your website redirect there instead of the public track.

If the audioclips that are already uploaded should remain public, you could also upload the clips again and make the second bunch of uploads private.

Just an idea, I hope this helps.

Cheers
Mathis
View original

11 replies

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! This sounds like it will work perfectly. There is no need for any of the sound clips to be public (though I found it humorous that some member liked the sound of a doorbell ringing), so taking them private is not an issue. Thanks for an effective and easy fix!

Feel free to check out what we are doing:

www.moogfoundation.org

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there @Dr. Bob,

Thanks for outlining your case so thoroughly. I hope I'm not overlooking anything, but I understand your site contains a hyperlink that will redirect your students to the track on SoundCloud.com, correct?

How about you make the soundclips on SoundCloud private, and adjust the hyperlinks to redirect to the private track? This way, no other tracks will be playing afterwards.

You can chance a track's privacy setting in its edit mode (by going to the track and clicking the small pen icon. Make sure you're logged in to the account from which you've uploaded the track).

Once this is updated, grab the secret link as described on this Help Center article and have your thumbnail on your website redirect there instead of the public track.

If the audioclips that are already uploaded should remain public, you could also upload the clips again and make the second bunch of uploads private.

Just an idea, I hope this helps.

Cheers
Mathis
Been there, done that. It does work, but it is not optimal.

Each audio clip opens in a page that is nothing but black with a white Play button in the middle. Functional, but it sucks aesthetically. SoundCloud (or something similar) is desirable as the thumbnail I created for each sound shows up on the page, providing visual support, which is important from a student engagement standpoint.

My product rep for our host site indicated that they use SoundCloud for similar applications, stating that they have a Pro account. I've messaged him asking what they do with said Pro account to avoid the issue I'm running into.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Maybe you don't need SoundCloud for this. If you can upload the sounds to a folder on the same server space the website is on and link to them, so you'd have the old-school HTML slider players.
Thanks for the tips! I tweeted to SoundCloudDev asking about defeating the automatic playing of Related Tracks. Accessing the developers link was not particularly fruitful. Support questions are addressed at an entirely different site. What I found in both places was way too code-y for me. My training is in best practices for delivering online content, not the nuts and bolts of creating vehicles for online content delivery.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
good call - write to soundcloud development - if possible via
https://developers.soundcloud.com/
(where are also code examples for controlling widgets) or via twitter :
https://twitter.com/SoundCloudDev

good luck
Doesn't look like embedding is going to work. Best I can tell, that would require a separate page on my site for each sound, and that defeats the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish.

Currently I have 10 thumbnails on a single page. Best practices calls for each thumbnail to be Command-Clicked so that a separate browser window opens up, each one accessing one of the sounds to be played.

I tried a workaround of creating 10 single track playlists, one for each sound.

But SoundCloud insists on playing "Related Tracks" when any of my tracks or playlists are played, and that ruins what I'm trying to do.

Someone else recommended that I upgrade to Pro, which I did. But I'm seeing no difference between Pro and Basic when it comes to the controls that are available to me.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for the input so far... it is much appreciated!
Did this work?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
If you look at any of your tracks on SoundCloud there is a "Share" button after the "Like" & "Repost" buttons. That will bring up a window with a choice of "Share", "Embed" and "Message". "Embed" gives you a link. Try that.
Sounds like a strategy that might work. But I am code-challenged. Would you be willing to provide some assistance so I can try to implement embedding of the SoundCloud clips?

My content is contained in what is effectively an online classroom website, so I don't have individual web pages that I can access or manipulate.

Any advice or assistance is much appreciated!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
There's a lot of threads about wanting to disable this autoplay feature, but the option isn't there yet. My account is purely for embedding private tracks on a Wordpress site and they don't autoplay there, but this is probably because I found a tweak for the embedding code that removes autoplay, changes the color and doesn't display likes and comments etc. that might be showing on SoundCloud. (See image below)
This might be a possible workaround for you. The advantage is you can have a page with just the player and text without any other distractions that would be on a SoundCloud page.

The red is just editing of the image for privacy.