Question

Playlist functionality

• 26 January 2016
  • 6 replies

Hello,
I've used Soundcloud for a number of years now to upload playlists for my violin students to listen to. At first, I found Soundcloud extremely easy and intuitive to use, but over the years, it's gotten less and less easy and intuitive. It's now to the point where I dread uploading anything because of the extremely time consuming process.

My main issue is with playlists. In the past, Soundcloud has allowed me to upload, say, 20 tracks all at one time and make a new playlist. Now, I have to upload each track separately, put in permissions, tags, and metadata separately, open each track individually, and add it to the playlist. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating and about 100x more work than it used to be. It's making me seriously consider using another platform to share recordings with my students.

Do you plan to bring back the functionality wherein I could upload a whole bunch of tracks all at once straight into a playlist, and modify the metadata/permissions of the playlist all at once at the time I make the playlist?

Please let me know so I can decide whether to stay with Soundcloud.

Thank you,
Caitlin Warbelow

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again Caitlin,

Thanks for reaching out. You can still upload multiple tracks and have them compiled in one playlist. However, editing the tracks in bulk from the playlist directly is indeed no longer available. I recommend you use your tracks page to do that right after uploading your tracks. Here, you can still bulk edit multiple tracks at once. (And you can actually choose multiple tracks to add all of them to a playlist from there, too).

Hope this helps to ease up the upload process again :-)

Best
Mathis
Hello,

Why is it no longer possible to create a playlist and then upload tracks into it? I regularly have to upload a bunch of tracks that come from different files on my computer into one playlist, but this can't be done using the method you're suggesting (upload multiple tracks into a playlist) because you can't choose files from different folders at one time. So as of now I have to upload all tracks separately, go through each track separately and choose the permissions, metadata options etc., then open each track separately, and add it to a playlist separately. It's extraordinarily frustrating. Why did Soundcloud get rid of the ability to make a playlist and then upload things from various files into it???

Caitlin
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello,

Why is it no longer possible to create a playlist and then upload tracks into it? I regularly have to upload a bunch of tracks that come from different files on my computer into one playlist, but this can't be done using the method you're suggesting (upload multiple tracks into a playlist) because you can't choose files from different folders at one time. So as of now I have to upload all tracks separately, go through each track separately and choose the permissions, metadata options etc., then open each track separately, and add it to a playlist separately. It's extraordinarily frustrating. Why did Soundcloud get rid of the ability to make a playlist and then upload things from various files into it???

Caitlin

Hi Caitlin,

How about copying the tracks that you're uploading from different locations to one folder on your desktop? You can always delete that folder once all tracks are uploaded. Certainly not a solution, but maybe a good way to work around it. How were you doing it before? I reckon uploading multiple tracks directly into an existent playlist couldn't be done from folders in different locations on your computer either, no (correct me if I'm wrong here)?

"...go through each track separately and choose the permissions, metadata options etc.," --> once they are uploaded to your account, you can edit these in bulk, from your track manager.

If a feature changes or disappears, it is often because we're trying to make your processes and activity on SoundCloud more streamlined and improve your experience. I understand this is not the case (actually the opposite for you), so I'll make sure to pass on your feedback to the relevant product team for reference.

Cheers
Mathis
Hello,

Caitlin

Mathis,
Thanks for your response. Originally, it was extremely easy for me to make a playlist with files from various folders...but Soundcloud has made numerous changes over the past year, each of which have made it more and more difficult for me to make the playlists. I used to be able to create a playlist by uploading a few files from one folder, then adding the rest from other folders, and changing the settings for all of the metadata and permissions all at once, for the playlist as a whole.
Do you know why Soundcloud has made it so that you can't create a playlist and then upload tracks straight into it?
So, just for Soundcloud's feedback, here is what I need to be able to do - I need to be able to upload a bunch of tracks into a playlist so that students in classes I teach can listen to those playlists. Then at the end of the class, I delete the playlist and make a new one for the next class. It used to take me about 10 minutes to do this...now it takes me about 30 minutes because I have to upload each track separately, go find the track, add it to the playlist, check permissions, etc. It's super frustrating. I would really appreciate you passing this info on to the product team in case they might decide in the future to change the options for playlist creation.
Thanks again for your help -
Caitlin
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello,

Caitlin

Hi there Caitlin,

Just realized I never got back to you on this one. I cannot provide exact details as to why this feature got changed, but site stability and safety are often things we look at when features change over time.

I've forwarded your feedback to the relevant product team for reference.

All the best to you,
Mathis
Hello,

Caitlin

Thank you!