Tired of fake followers and illiterate re-posting requests

• 11 September 2017
  • 3 replies

While I'm generally very happy with the Soundcloud account that I'm paying a monthly fee to maintain, I do find the fake followers rather tiresome, and also rather dishonest. I would rather have three genuine followers - that is, real people who like what I do and wish to hear more - than eighteen or eighty computer-generated fake identities that seem to have been accumulated as some sort of automatic response to my latest uploaded recordings. The higher the number of 'followers', the more impressive it must look to those visiting my profile, but it makes me feel like a fraud and I don't like it.

I don't like the fact that, firstly, I don't have any control over these robotic fakes, and secondly, that Soundcloud doesn't seem to have any control over them, either.

I am also tired of receiving messages, probably also computer-generated, from 'people' who think I will respond favourably to 'yo wassup I wanna re-post your such-and-such...' and guarantee me some fabulous number of 'likes' from all those thousands who will get to hear my such-and-such song.

For a start, I'm not likely to respond well to someone who can't even do me the courtesy of addressing me respectfully and intelligently. I'm not an illiterate teenager who communicates, either verbally or in writing, via hip teenspeak. Furthermore, I'm not naive enough to believe that they genuinely appreciate my music and wish to share it with as many others as possible...out of the goodness of their hearts. They are peddling a business, and somewhere along the track (should I wish to accept their proposals) I'm going to be required to part with money. This, I also do not like. I do not like the apparent fact that Soundcloud condones such soliciting and appears quite happy to act as a vehicle for it. It is not what I am paying them my monthly fee for, and I would very much like to hear from a Soundcloud representative who can tell me that this is not the case and that they are making some effort to bring it under some kind of prohibitive control.

I presume that this comment of mine will appear in a 'community' forum (but I really don't know for certain because I haven't done this before)and I would be very interested to know if other Soundcloud users feel the same as I do.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Note that I've responded to your question about SoundCloud usage in my other thread, but on this different note:

Your frustration seems to stem largely from dissatisfaction with spam. Unfortunately, just like the rest of the Internet, SoundCloud is not spam-free. You need to take it upon yourself to deal with it via a few simple steps.

If someone follows you and they seem to be a "fake" account, the best way to proceed is just to ignore it. They're not doing anything detrimental to your account other than increasing your follower count, which isn't really a bad thing.

You should also keep in mind that love for music ought to transcend any misgivings you have about proper grammar or age. If you share a common love for music, why would any of that matter? You are going to have to have a much more open mind if you want to be successful here. The average age of users here is probably something in the higher teen range. If not, it's low twenties at best. This is the community you are asking to accept and promote your music.

You also can't assume off the bat that an account is spam. Everyone has to start somewhere - just because they have only 25 followers, don't speak proper English, have scantily clad people in their avatar pic, or appear to be a teenager doesn't mean they are spammers. Both you and I had 25 followers at some point, yeah? That should be proof enough.

I'm decades past being a teenager myself, but I haven't forgotten how to relate. Your journey to success is going to be much more difficult if you forget that we were once kids, and kids will be kids.

This, in particular though, is a major misstep on your part:

For a start, I'm not likely to respond well to someone who can't even do me the courtesy of addressing me respectfully and intelligently. I'm not an illiterate teenager who communicates, either verbally or in writing, via hip teenspeak. Furthermore, I'm not naive enough to believe that they genuinely appreciate my music and wish to share it with as many others as possible...out of the goodness of their hearts. They are peddling a business, and somewhere along the track (should I wish to accept their proposals) I'm going to be required to part with money.
Not only am I proof that this is completely incorrect, but I've networked with hundreds over the years that share my views on support and promotion here on SC. I can provide examples upon examples, but I run in electronic, dance music and hip-hop circles; I don't know what kind of music you make.

If you really don't want the fake followers, then visit their account and report or block them.
- Visit their profile
- Under the lower-right corner of their header image, you see the Message icon, and the menu "..." icon.
- Click the "...", and select either report or block. Follow the instructions.

If you get direct messages offering reposts or promotion or some other spam, it's easiest just to ignore the conversation (trash icon next to the message). You can block or report the conversation as well, if you so choose. Those options will come up when you trash the conversation. You can visit their account and block them manually as described above.

You'll need to realize that paid promotional services exist for nearly every online music platform, and SoundCloud is no exception. There are people that, for a price, will follow you, comment on your music, repost your music, and otherwise promote your profile. You can buy likes and followers, plays and reposts from third party businesses. That's just how this whole thing works.

You can also find people like me on SC, that comment, like and repost based solely off their love for the track or artist, for no compensation whatsoever. For me, this is a purer experience, so I continue to do what I do, and ignore the spam. You'll need to put forth the effort to locate and link up with like-minded artists and promoters.

As for what you pay for, well, I'm afraid that doesn't include instant spam control. As you use SC more and more, you will see that they do clear spam comments in waves (one day many tracks will be littered with "I make $675 an hour from home, you can too!", and a few days later, all that spam is gone.) They also ban spam accounts in waves, which is why sometimes your follower account will drop unexpectedly.

They can do nothing about catching someone sending spam in direct messages unless you report the account.

Now, as for what you pay for:

If you pay for SC GO+, then you're basically paying to hear copyrighted content owned by major labels (instead of the 30-second preview that unpaid accounts get). There are a few other minor perks like offline listening on mobile, etc.

If you pay for SC Pro, then you're basically paying for unlimited upload time and better access to stats. Free accounts get three hours of upload time and virtually no stats.

In neither case (SC GO+ or SC Pro) is spam handled any differently than on a free account.

Hope I have helped,
Matt
Thank you very much, Matt.

I'm a 60-year-old singer of 20th Century jazz, swing and classic rock & roll and other pop songs, and I now realise how out of my depth I am here. I'm afraid I have completely misunderstood the purpose of Soundcloud. I'm not seeking fame or fortune at all, but just wanted to be able to post my songs to some platform where people, 'followers' or not, could hear them - which is what I thought Soundcloud was.

I do generally ignore the spam, but it is somewhat disappointing that it is the only response I ever seem to receive. I still don't really understand how Soundcloud works, but then, I don't even have a mobile smartphone and wouldn't know what to do with one if I did. Thanks for making the time and effort to respond to my clueless comments. I shall just have to be satisfied with using Soundcloud as a storage facility, from which I can share my music on Facebook.

Best regards,

Tim.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Tim,

I think it's awesome that you would like to share your music with the world, and I don't think you're out of your depth; your ability to create a SoundCloud account and post messages here is proof enough that you can handle your own. I am a bit younger than you (42 here) but in the grander scheme of things, it's not all that much =)

Rest assured that your tracks definitely will be publicly available. You can, as you said, upload to SC and then promote the link on your Facebook. Many artists actually do use this service just for that and are rarely active in any other capacity here. If you're the guy from Perth, I found your profile and your music =)

The problem is that the sheer volume of music being uploaded to SoundCloud means that yours will very quickly get lost in a sea of other uploads. As a result, people will only "come across" your songs if it happens to come up as a related track when they are playing random stuff, or if someone reposts it or playlists it, etc.

This doesn't mean all that much, I suppose, if you share the SoundCloud links on other platforms. If you can link people directly to your music, the song's "standing" on SC means nothing, really.

Anyway, glad I could help in some capacity.

All the best,
Matt