Why does shuffle not randomly shuffle songs in web browser?

• 22 September 2017
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 2
I cannot get my head around why a random shuffle feature would be so hard to get working. I have a playlist with 500 tracks that I would very much like to listen to on shuffle but when I shuffle and skip through the songs it picks out the same songs in a similar order every time.

The newer songs I've added are completely lost to the shuffle feature, which is a huge disappointment as shuffle works just fine on mobile. If it is specifically a problem with the browser version why does SoundCloud not have some sort of desktop application?

Here is the playlist in question, try shuffling through it and notice that all the songs shuffle picks are mostly if not all from the top half of the list. https://soundcloud.com/user-436797637/sets/tr-p

33 replies

Userlevel 1
I've been annoyed by this recently as well.
Userlevel 3
I've been annoyed by this recently as well.

Agreed. I wish they would get this fixed. I have no idea, but it seems like this shouldn't be that hard. We've been waiting way to long for a fix
Userlevel 1
I can confirm this myself. I listen to my liked list of over 500 songs myself on shuffle very often.
This has annoyed me since the day the shuffle came out. I have noticed that on mobile, the shuffle method works very well or should i say; as you'd expect.

One more thing I have noticed is that if you scroll far down in your list on the web, enable shuffle and click a song, it will shuffle in the same strange not-random way but only in that "scope". It feels almost like newly added tracks have a higher chance of populating the shuffle.

Would be nice to have this functionality working now..
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Sorry to hear this hasn't been working for you the way you'd expect. The shuffle button will only shuffle the tracks that have been loaded. I've forwarded your feedback to the relevant team.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 1
Hi there,

Sorry to hear this hasn't been working for you the way you'd expect. The shuffle button will only shuffle the tracks that have been loaded. I've forwarded your feedback to the relevant team.

Cheers
Mathis

Dang! If I may offer my input as a programmer: the playlist size is already known, thus a simple random number can be chosen and the corresponding song can then be fetched, without having to "load" the song information beforehand.

The client shouldn't have to load the title and information related to a song in order to be able to select it randomly.

For example, if you have a playlist of 5 songs, and you want to shuffle it, simply take the array [0, 1, 2, 3, 4] and randomly shuffle it to something like [4, 0, 3, 1, 2]. THEN, the client can request the information pertaining to the songs after it knows which songs it will need when.

I'm sure there are more issues that you only see internally, but this is at least my two cents. Hopefully this gets fixed!
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

But even when I page down through my entire play list, no matter what, the shuffle concentrates around the first song selected. I like to hear all the music randomly, not just 20 song blocks extending from the starting point. Strange is that the mobile app shuffles my whole playlist fine.
Userlevel 2
Hey all, I found away to make the shuffle button "work". Before hitting the shuffle button, go into your playlist and play the first song. Then hit the "next up" button (button farthest to the right, next to the heart)and scroll all the way down to your last song, you can then hit shuffle and blam-o all your music is shuffled. The only problem with this method is that you will always here your first song first. It can easily be remedied by moving its position in the "next up" tab, double clicking shuffle and then selecting the new 1st song in your next up tab. Not exactly an elegant solution but hey it works. I'm still having this issue so I'm assuming y'all are having it to, have fun shuffling your playlists 🙂
I think pressing shift+s (hotkey for shuffle) fixed it for me and i press j to play next track and it shuffles songs from a while ago i liked. Unless soundcloud fixed it themselves
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

@Mathis when i shuffle my music from liked section on my iphone with soundclouds app, it shuffles from my whole liked list over 450 songs. Why does the shuffle feature work on ios, but it is not able to shuffle from your complete list on the browser?
Please fix this, it's really annoying. A shuffle should work as a shuffle, not when tracks have been loaded. If that's the case then you should call it something else. Like everyone else is saying it works perfectly fine on mobile, but not desktop/browser. I'm sure you have enough developers to get this fix out quick.
Looks like i'm moving back to spotifiy for now...
Userlevel 1
6 months and no progress? 🤔
@Mathis Does soundcloud have an issuetracker or something to see the status on issues like this?
This really is absurd. It's by far the biggest annoyance of soundcloud. I have over 600 liked tracks and some I just forget about from early on in my playlist. A proper shuffle is not hard to do. This whole website is fully of technically impressive features and everything appears to be loaded ad-hoc, so why oh why can't the new "random" song be loaded ad hoc? Hell You already know the order, why not load the next two to save any delay!

As a web developer I know how simple this functionality should be which makes it doubly frustrating!
Userlevel 1
It might be worth wasting my holidays to build a browser plugin or something to do this...would anyone else use it?
@Mathis WHAT IS THE UPDATED FROM THE ENGINEERS?!

This should not be a hard fix to code!!!!! I am glad I found this thread as my like list, primarily listened on my work laptop, through Chrome...is basically useless because it just shuffles whatever "part" of my list is showing.

That's simply not the behavior users expect. In addition to what @RyanTheSoundGuy said, the webapp should preload tracks based on the randomly shuffled array. This is a simple fix and really does break the web listening experience for me and many other users.
Please fix this, it's really bad. You might as well not offer shuffle on the web client. Just reuse the mobile implementation, which works great. People would be happy even if it didn't automatically scroll to the currently playing track. At the very least provide an update, it's been 9 months since your last communication?
Hey all, I found away to make the shuffle button "work". Before hitting the shuffle button, go into your playlist and play the first song. Then hit the "next up" button (button farthest to the right, next to the heart)and scroll all the way down to your last song, you can then hit shuffle and blam-o all your music is shuffled. The only problem with this method is that you will always here your first song first. It can easily be remedied by moving its position in the "next up" tab, double clicking shuffle and then selecting the new 1st song in your next up tab. Not exactly an elegant solution but hey it works. I'm still having this issue so I'm assuming y'all are having it to, have fun shuffling your playlists :)

So this did work, Thanks! But it's still sad how 11 months later there has been no visible progress.
I'm also astounded that Shuffle is so bad and obviously not really shuffling songs. They really need to fix this to remain a leader.
lmao please fix this ahahahahahhahahahahahaha
C'mon still not fixed?

Hey all, I found away to make the shuffle button "work". Before hitting the shuffle button, go into your playlist and play the first song. Then hit the "next up" button (button farthest to the right, next to the heart)and scroll all the way down to your last song, you can then hit shuffle and blam-o all your music is shuffled. The only problem with this method is that you will always here your first song first. It can easily be remedied by moving its position in the "next up" tab, double clicking shuffle and then selecting the new 1st song in your next up tab. Not exactly an elegant solution but hey it works. I'm still having this issue so I'm assuming y'all are having it to, have fun shuffling your playlists :)So this did work, Thanks! But it's still sad how 11 months later there has been no visible progress.

BEST SOLUTION THUS FAR

Hey all, I found away to make the shuffle button "work". Before hitting the shuffle button, go into your playlist and play the first song. Then hit the "next up" button (button farthest to the right, next to the heart)and scroll all the way down to your last song, you can then hit shuffle and blam-o all your music is shuffled. The only problem with this method is that you will always here your first song first. It can easily be remedied by moving its position in the "next up" tab, double clicking shuffle and then selecting the new 1st song in your next up tab. Not exactly an elegant solution but hey it works. I'm still having this issue so I'm assuming y'all are having it to, have fun shuffling your playlists :)So this did work, Thanks! But it's still sad how 11 months later there has been no visible progress.
BEST SOLUTION THUS FAR

There is no really other solution. So I'm working on a script that will add a button that do all this stuff automatically for me.
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

even if i loads every song in a 700 song playlist into memory it’ll always shuffle the songs around the part of the screen that i’m viewing. this really needs to be fixed now, it’s truthfully been years
so uh people have been pointing out this issue for more than a year and nothing is being done even though it seems to be an easy fix? cmon soundcloud, get yourself together

and am i wrong or was the shuffle feature working fine a couple of years ago?

at least it works on the phone tho