Question

Why is rap and hip hop on the top classical list?

• 29 January 2016
  • 7 replies

How is this song on the 'top classical" list? "Streetrunner- Cry Out" Literally, the first set of lyrics is... "I'm going to call this one real rap" - bad rap (my opinion) on the top classical list? How do I go about suggesting removing it from this list as it definitely does not belong there and kind of dampers the listening experience. There are actually quite a few songs on the top classical list that is basically anything but.

7 replies

Ok so this is now #1 on the classical list. I would really rather not be subjected to this stuff when I'd rather be listening to classical. This is NOT classical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your feedback. When a user uploads their track they also attach genre tags. We like not to force users into a genre as we feel the artist should take ownership of what genre they want to be in. Unfortunately, along with giving users this freedom we also see cases where the community disagrees on what the correct genre is. We encourage you to give constructive criticism to the user as sometimes it may just be an error that they tagged themselves incorrectly.

In any case, this is good feedback to give my team. Thanks for taking the time to write in.

-Gina
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your feedback. When a user uploads their track they also attach genre tags. We like not to force users into a genre as we feel the artist should take ownership of what genre they want to be in. Unfortunately, along with giving users this freedom we also see cases where the community disagrees on what the correct genre is. We encourage you to give constructive criticism to the user as sometimes it may just be an error that they tagged themselves incorrectly.

In any case, this is good feedback to give my team. Thanks for taking the time to write in.

-Gina

So basically Soundcloud allows Rap and Hip Hop to be tagged as Classical just so they can get more 'hits' on their tracks (I very highly doubt it was an 'accident'). Allowing fake tags on certain genres of music without allowing a way to report it or at least give feedback on it is not a very pleasant experience. Making me have to talk to the user directly just so I can listen to a channel in peace is not what I am here for. I would gladly pay to be able to listen to the music I would like, but are not given that option either. It's unfortunate and I hope you change the way this works in the future. (And yes I know I can pay for this experience so I think I will need to do that)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Ann,

-Gina

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your additional comments. I certainly understand the disruption you must feel when expecting Classical. In this case it's a bit more black and white but in other cases the distinction between genre is very gray so it's hard for us to establish a rule.

In any case, I am happy to send your feedback to our team for consideration.

-Gina
Hi Ann,

-Gina

Do you actually even understand music? With comments "that distinction between genre is very gray" leads me to believe you don't. Yes sub-genre categorization is very gray, particularly in rock and electronic, where you might have a dozen or more sub group distinctions. But there is a wide gulf and nothing gray or hazy between classical and rap or hip-hop, it either is or is not. One example of gray occurred on the classical list, where the french singer Edith Piaf was recently listed, definitely not classical. It is far more appropriate then the explicit lyrics rap or hip-hop that is more commonly found on the list, which strangely most voice oriented music is sub genre categorized as opera.

As stated in a prior post.. Not going to pay for your service until you fix some of these things, I dont want to click play on the Classical list and be exposed to music I could not play in the office without violating HR policies.
Hi Ann,

-Gina

Rap ..... HipHop.... now Meghan Trainor topping 'Classical' chart. There is NO GRAY AREA. If you want paying members to continue paying for this service then instruct obvious mis-classifications to be re-classified or removed!
All Rap is bad