Question

Account deleted without warning or reason and no response to messages

• 16 August 2015
  • 7 replies

I run a a second account dedicated to our podcast soundcloud.com/scriggler
Podcast is dedicated to authors reading their stories and poetry and I just published a new episode yesterday morning. This episode also contained a music track. I have permission from every single author or band to use the material in the podcast and they are all notified immediately when it goes live, so they can check and raise any objections. The account suddenly went off line yesterday about an hour after I published the new episode. Now it appears deleted and all of the episodes suddenly became inaccessible. We never received any warnings or any communication saying that we were in breach of any kind. I've always been a huge advocate of soundcloud, in fact Scriggler itself was very much inspired by it, but this is simply unacceptable. I've sent a couple of messages about this yesterday, both remain unanswered. I understand that this is weekend and the account is free. We were getting close to our time limit and would have gone pro eventually - now I'm not so sure. This is no way to treat your members and it has consequences for our reputation as well, something I care about a lot. Now looking over the forum I also see that this appears to be a common problem. What a disaster...

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Selemir,

If you have legal proof that you have permission to use all your content then please submit that to our Copyright team. More info here: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1796364-valid-and-invalid-reasons-to-file-a-disp...

Thanks,
Gina
Thanks Gina, this is of course a ridiculous requirement - I have all the emails but it is impractical to submit proof for each of five/ six performers we have for each episode. I can understand the proof requested in case someone raises an issue. I am more than happy to provide proof in that particular case, but providing it for each piece we are using is unheard of. Moreover this is not a usual requirement, otherwise I would have been submitting them for each episode in advance. The account is back up and running as of this Monday morning and as it turns out - it had nothing to do with copyright, so your comment further suggests that you really don't have a proper system in place. This is embarrassing to say the least.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I really expected a lot more from Soundcloud, really thought you guys were better than this. Love the website and the ideas behind it, but your customer service needs to catch up with the rest of the company.
Best,
Dmitry
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks Gina, this is of course a ridiculous requirement - I have all the emails but it is impractical to submit proof for each of five/ six performers we have for each episode. I can understand the proof requested in case someone raises an issue. I am more than happy to provide proof in that particular case, but providing it for each piece we are using is unheard of. Moreover this is not a usual requirement, otherwise I would have been submitting them for each episode in advance. The account is back up and running as of this Monday morning and as it turns out - it had nothing to do with copyright, so your comment further suggests that you really don't have a proper system in place. This is embarrassing to say the least.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I really expected a lot more from Soundcloud, really thought you guys were better than this. Love the website and the ideas behind it, but your customer service needs to catch up with the rest of the company.
Best,
Dmitry

Hi Dmitry,

I'm happy to hear your account is back up. On the forum I can only offer general advice on the topic of copyrights and personal accounts since I cannot look into your personal profile history. That information is only available to our Copyrights and Legal teams.

For anyone that writes in concerned with takedowns, I have to remind them that we are only a hosting platform and we do not have the authority to permit users to upload content that they do not own.

If a takedown request is issued against a profile then we must abide, if the takedown is a mistake and you can provide evidence then we are happy to reverse the action. With all due respect, I don't believe this is ridiculous however I do apologise if our Terms of Use did not make this clear to you when you signed up for SoundCloud.

Again, I am glad that it appeared to be an error and that you are able to proceed with your account. If you take a glance at the terms of use and something else doesn't make sense please let me know.

-Gina
Best,
Dmitry

Gina, I'm afraid you misunderstood my comment. I did not refer as ridiculous to the requirement to provide proof of copyright in a conflict situation. It is ridiculous to do it for every single piece in every single episode of the podcast, if there is a conflict on one of the pieces. To abide with your terms of service the proper way of doing it would be - take down the offending episode (not the whole account) once the notice is received and notify the owner of the account by email immediately. It can be done automatically, so there is no extra work on your side. None of that was done in this particular case, so I was left guessing what happened. In reality the problem is by your own team's admission a common one - you have spam checks for links included in the description. Something in your system didn't like one of the links I posted. Again it was OK on closer inspection by your team member - all the links were attribution of the material used in the podcast. In this particular case - deleting or blocking account without warning is not a proper way of doing things. It is really heavy handed and actually creates more work for you, so you should really look into this. At the end of the day guilty until proven innocent is not a good approach and doesn't do any good to your reputation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Best,
Dmitry

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying. When strikes are issued you should receive an onsite notification and an email, after 3 strikes then the account is taken down. If the process did not work like this for you then I encourage you to write back to our Copyrights team, they would be able to further explain.

Thanks again though for coming to the forum for clarification.

-Gina
Best,
Dmitry

Gina if you read my last message, I actually made it pretty clear it had nothing to do with the copyright, so there was no strikes or notifications. As I understand your spam filter works in a very different way. There are no strikes or warnings, if it flags something - account gets taken down. Now - that in my view is totally unacceptable. Judging by this forum - this has happened before and you had to restore accounts after they were wrongly accused of spamming. After the first time it happened the procedure should have been changed. Not putting you personally at fault or anything like that - just saying you as a company should review your policy.
My account, GiGI La Mare, was deleted without warning. I have now asked the Support Team what the "offending content" was (ie a specific song or photo)without them replying back to me any specific item that was a reason to take down my entire account, including but not limited to my 609 followers, my 23 tracks, and even one of my tracks had garnered more than 14.5k plays?views. My songs are my original work (no covers, no remixes). I am respectfully requesting that the specific item (photo or song) be brought to my attention. It seems reasonable to conclude that there was no offending content if they cannot bring it to my attention. I also should not have to ask for the second time. I understand they are busy but my songs generated a lot of traffic to their website and would like to get to the bottom of this important issue. If my account was taken down in error, that is understandable but I am respectfully requesting that it be reinstated.