Question

How can I change the publish date of an uploaded podcast episode?

• 19 December 2014
  • 15 replies

We moved our podcast to Soundcloud a while ago, uploading about 50 old episodes at once. These old episodes now appear in our RSS feed to have all been published on the same day (because, essentially, they were).

Short of manually editing the correct publish dates back into the RSS file, is there a way to edit the upload dates on Soundcloud, so that the generated RSS feed is always accurate?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Regular Features,

Thank you for posting and sorry about the delay in responding. To be completely honest, I do not know the answer to this off the top if my head. I have reached out to the team though for clarity. I'll update you here as soon as I get a response.

Until then, happy holidays!

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi there, I'm curious on this as well. We are considering using SoundCloud for podcasting but we would need a feature to be able to change the publish date.
Userlevel 5
Badge
technically the generated feed IS accurate.

soundcloud uses the upload date as the publish date for the rss feeds. there is no way to change this on soundcloud unless they add a field in the edit track settings which will allow one to change the specific published date for the rss only. i doubt that will ever happen... its not worth adding new edit settings/options unless there is a high demand for it and the use case is a valid one. also having an editable field for the publish date can be exploited. if a podcast has a very high number of subscribers, one could simply keep changing the publish date on a single track which would be interpreted as a 'new episode' for subscribers, making them download the track... one could repeatedly use this method to drive up play count stats, and also cause un-nessasary bandwidth consumption for soundcloud and subscribers.

you have a couple options:

1. you can put the 'true' publish date as part of the title of the track so subscribers know when the actual date was (if different from upload date)

2. you can download the rss xml, and edit the pub dates. and then you can link to a selft hosted, modified version of the xml instead of linking directly to soundcloud.
Userlevel 1
Hi Regular Features,

Thank you for posting and sorry about the delay in responding. To be completely honest, I do not know the answer to this off the top if my head. I have reached out to the team though for clarity. I'll update you here as soon as I get a response.

Cheers,
Mathis

Hi Mathis, any feedback from the SC product group on this question? We'd love to 'go Pro' but will be forced to find an alternative podcasting service soon if this is not on the development roadmap.

John

Ps: I would have thought 'Original Release Date' tag would have overridden the <pubDate>
I'm in favor of this feature as well, might be a deal-breaker without it...
Yes, we just went through the process of transferring our podcast (www.buddhistgeeks.com) to SoundCloud and this remains the biggest problem with the transfer. The order of the podcasts was based on upload time instead of pub date and now on all podcast readers, though we've been publishing since 2007 they all show the date they were uploaded to SC. If this feature could be added it'd be a huge boon to podcasters like ourselves.
Hi Regular Features,

Cheers,
Mathis

Hi!

We recently change tu soundcloud and get the "pro" service, and this is a mayor problem for podcast community worldwide. I think the developers of Soundcloud needs to add this as a feature soon. Otherwise many people like us, must change to another service. Please, this is something truly important for de podcast community.

Think about it!

Thanks a lot!
Yep... Just now coming to SoundCloud for a new podcast...

You guys are stating you CANNOT upload several episodes at once (say, the first of the month, for the entire month, like you can on WordPress- where I enter all blog posts for the entire month on a single day and let it run itself on auto-pilot)?

So, if I want a podcast to publish every Thursday, I would have to actually come to Sound Cloud and post every Thursday?
I've been using my own XML hosted on my website for iTunes... if you know a little bit of coding, you can freely change the publish date and everything else the way you want... i was thinking on changing to soundcloud podcast but without this publish date thing, it's not worth it. 😞
Any news on this issue?
ANY NEWS ON THIS?? Sorry to yell, I've just been asking for this for about a year and a half now.

All we need is for the PUBLISHED date to be set as the SCHEDULED date. That's it, that's all... this would make my life as a professional podcaster so much better on this platform.
Any news on this !? Wouldn't it be better if Sound cloud changed the date of the file for the "release date" ? I just changed my podcast to soundcloud thinking that it's better but the more I play with it , the more I'm thinking it was a mistake.
Even the fact that we can't schedule a post ? These things are pretty basic.
Same problem here
We want to publish chapters of previous seasons but in the right order. I find basic functionality that Souncloud should support
I have this same problem, but I believed there is no news in this matter yet, is it?
I have the same question/issue. It's REALLY OBVIOUS that podcasters need control over publish dates...