Solved

I have several hundred subscribers but my most recent track only shows 40 listens. Is the counter off or is something else going on?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
the number of subscribers you have does not automatically = the number of plays a track will get.

many things can impact how many plays your track will get. such as:

who your subscribers are and what they like.
what time of day you post a track (they could be sleeping)
etc
You'd think so. I have done 29 episodes and post them the same date and time and the numbers are consistently predictable. I don't think several hundred people chose to not download the one episode. There is something else going on.

I know it is not a 1 = 1 correlation. But the numbers are hugely off this week.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Lehto's Law wrote:

You'd think so. I have done 29 episodes and post them the same date and time and the numbers are consistently predictable. I don't think several hundred people chose to not download the one episode. There is something else going on.

do you have rss/podcasting enabled on your account? if so you might want to check the feed url in an rss validator to make sure everything is correct with the feed. if it has been added to iTunes, check the iTunes music store to see if everything is up to date.
Lehto's Law wrote:

Yes. That is why I thought the counter was off.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Lehto's Law wrote:

did you check everything out in itms/validator?

unfortunately itunes and soundcloud do not provide any metrics as to 'how many' people are subscribed.
Lehto's Law wrote:

I don't know what that is. I did everything exactly the same way I did the previous 28 times. Instead of 600 listens which I would normally get in two days, I have 60. Everything else is the same.
Userlevel 5
Badge
and you are aware of the recent change in the way that downloads are counted? rss/podcast stats are now counted separately from normal 'downloads' .
Did this happen in the last 8 days? Is there an explanation of it somewhere?
Userlevel 5
Badge
yes this was very recent... i only noticed this 2 days ago.. and i check my stats on a daiy basis

also this: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1455510-how-can-i-track-the-number-of-subscriber...
That's it. Adding those numbers to my listens balances out. I wish they hadn't done that, but it makes sense. Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge
Lehto's Law wrote:

That's it. Adding those numbers to my listens balances out. I wish they hadn't done that, but it makes sense. Thanks!

stats for rss downloads started on thursday, april 30th 2015 (as reported by /you/stats)

it was a change that was needed as the previous way counted as plays. podcasts download a file, plays dont.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Lehto's Law wrote:

Hey hey,

just seeing this. Good thing you figured this out. Sorry about the confusion in the first place. Our podcasting program came out of beta most recently (April 28, 2015).

If you haven't yet, please take a peak here to learn more about it: https://soundcloud.com/for/podcasting

Cheers
Mathis
Lehto's Law wrote:

It all makes sense now. And I see that when I add the numbers up - it all works out. Glad to know my listeners didn't run away!
Thanks.