Question

I Need Help Tracking Podcast Stats Accurately

Help with these questions will be very much appreciated :)
  • Does the SoundCloud Pro Unlimited Plan track all the stats I need? iTunes? Pocket Cast (does my SoundCloud RSS feed even include Android's Pocket Cast)? Website links?
  • Do the SoundCloud stats show all the technology used? (i.e. Libsyn shows which
  • What exactly does SoundCloud truly track and report in stats?
  • Why does SoundCloud push Podtrac and Feedburner stats when I paid for the Pro Unlimited Plan that's supposed to have all the stats I'd ever need?
I recently switched my podcast host from Libsyn to SoundCloud, which I'm excited about, but the stats are extremely important to me and I can't seem to figure out how SoundCloud collects and reports them. I have the Pro Unlimited Plan. I got this plan because I wanted to have everything SoundCloud offered--the unlimited upload hours and beefed up stats are what sold me most. I don't get the stats though. Contradicting articles everywhere it seems. I've personally downloaded my podcast on iTunes and listened to all the episodes, yet my SoundCloud RSS downloads stat still reads 0. I know this isn't right because on Libsyn I was getting over 150 per day (and I know I downloaded and listened to the episodes myself to test the SoundCloud stats page).

13 replies

I can't comment on the SoundCloud stats system as I've never used it. Regardless, you can implement free (or premium) Blubrry stats with your SoundCloud podcast:
http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-download-statistics/media-statistics-setup/impleme...
The Blubrry stats system can track everything except plays thru the SoundCloud player. This is due to how the player itself is designed. Blubrry stats are very similar to LibSyn and Podtrac and can give you the deeper-level information you're looking for. (disclosure: I work with the Blubrry support team)

Awesome. Thanks again!
Userlevel 5
Badge
I can't comment on the SoundCloud stats system as I've never used it. Regardless, you can implement free (or premium) Blubrry stats with your SoundCloud podcast:
http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-download-statistics/media-statistics-setup/impleme...
The Blubrry stats system can track everything except plays thru the SoundCloud player. This is due to how the player itself is designed. Blubrry stats are very similar to LibSyn and Podtrac and can give you the deeper-level information you're looking for. (disclosure: I work with the Blubrry support team)

After you create your Blubrry account and add your show to the Blubrry directory using your current SoundCloud RSS feed, you'll want to go to your Blubrry Podcaster Dashboard and then click the "Getting Started" link in the Podcast Statistics box. There, you'll see a link for your Blubrry stats redirect URL. Copy that URL and paste it into the appropriate place in your SoundCloud settings. That's all you need to do.

The Blubrry stats will begin tracking immediately from the time you add them going forward. They can't retroactively collect stats information. Free stats accounts update a couple times a day so you may want to check in about a day or so after setting up the stats to make sure they're working.

So I just created my account on Blubrry and submitted my RSS feed. Everything is up on Blubrry as needed and stats enabled. I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to copy/paste into the Content tab on SoundCloud though. The article says "my blubrry feed" but I don't see that anywhere. I see a basic URL for my podcast on Blubrry, but I feel like that's not what's needed and I don't want to break the RSS feed on SoundCloud. Help? 🙂

Cool. I just hit them up asking for help with that 301 redirect. Hopefully they get that done soon for me. Thanks for the tip.

I'm hoping someone here will answer the question as it relates directly to SoundCloud stats. In the meantime, I'll try the Blubrry thing. From what I can see in the article you sent me originally, all I need to do is submit my SoundCloud RSS feed to Blubrry (free) and then take whatever feed/link they give me and put it into my Content tab within SoundCloud. And that's it. Is that right? I noticed that Podtrac had a second step about adding a tag to every post (which I just have zero desire to do and feel like in 2016 there has to be a seamless, easy-to-use system out there somewhere). Does Will my stats go live pretty quickly on Blubrry by just doing that one simple step?
Userlevel 5
Badge

Whenever possible, it's always best to implement a 301 redirect at the location of the old feed that points to the location of the new feed. Using the iTunes New Feed tag is a good idea too but the 301 ensures you'll retain all of your previous subscribers. I'd recommend contacting LibSyn support and asking them if they can implement a 301 redirect for you. They should be able to, especially if your account is still active.

Regardless, getting back to Blubrry stats. Yes - the Blubrry stats will track your iTunes downloads as the Blubrry stats redirect will be in your RSS feed that's being sent to the iTunes Store. As far as any discrepancies between your LibSyn stats and your SoundCloud stats, I can't really comment there. But you really should get in touch with LibSyn and ask them about the 301 redirect. It's the best way to ensure that all of your old subscribers carry forward to your new RSS feed.

Yes, I was on Libsyn using a Libsyn RSS. I then learned more about SoundCloud. After looking into it, I decided to switch. I set everything up in SoundCloud and updated my RSS URL with iTunes. It was validated and updated within just a few hours. Since that time, I'm not seeing any stats updating for RSS downloads on my SoundCloud stats, while when I was using Libsy, I was seeing 100+ downloads every day--over 50% of which were within the iPhone podcast AppleCoreMedia. Does that all make sense?

Oh, and to migrate my subscribers, I added a tag to my Libsyn RSS feed that iTunes Podcast support sent me. It seemed to work properly from what I could tell. That same support agent at iTunes told me to keep that tag there for 4 weeks. I had planned to, at that point, delete my Libsyn account entirely.
Userlevel 5
Badge

Let's step back just a bit so I can make sure I understand your setup.

Before, you were hosting your media files with LibSyn. Were you also using a LibSyn-generated RSS feed?

So does that include iTunes? I've been getting consistently over 100 downloads per day with Libsyn and now that I'm with SoundCloud it's showing 0. So I know something isn't tracking or working right. My RSS feed is set up fine, I know that because it's been verified and updated with iTunes. While this Blubrry addition is a nice option, I'd love to figure out how to get all the stats in one place--the same place I pay monthly for their highest package available, ya know. I do sincerely appreciate your help. I'm only about 3 weeks into the podcasting world and very much still learning.
Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes, you will need to log in to the Blubrry site to see your stats. I'm not super familiar with SoundCloud stats. But I'm pretty sure they break it down between plays on the SoundCloud media player and downloads thru your SoundCloud RSS feed. So, anything tracked under "RSS" was likely downloaded by a subscriber to your feed.

Very cool. Glad Blubrry is with it 😉 Does that mean I have to then log in to Blubrry to see those stats? What is the RSS feed stat number all about here on SoundCloud? It's clearly not working. Will that only work once I set up something like these Blubrry or Podtrac stats trackers?
Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes. All you need is a free Blubrry account and you will have to add your show to the (also free) Blubrry directory. But you don't have to pay for Blubrry hosting or any other services.

Thanks. Does this work even if I don't have anything on BluBrry?
Userlevel 5
Badge