Question

Is it possible to only use SoundCloud to host the media files for my podcast while keeping everything private?

• 4 September 2015
  • 6 replies

I currently host my own XML file for my podcast and use Amazon S3 to host the media files. I'm interested in switching to Soundcloud to host the files instead. I have a few important requirements tho:
  1. I only want Soundcloud to host the files. I do not need an XML/RSS feed and will continue to use and host my own.
  2. Can I easily access the source file (.mp3) to grab and include in my own XML file?
  3. I do not want the podcasts to be public on Soundcloud (basically for competing SEO reasons). I'd like to keep the podcast profile private as well as all of the episodes (basically I don't want anyone to find the content or me on Soundcloud). By doing so, will the source files still work on my external feed?
  4. If so, will download functions still work for subscribers on iTunes (I've seen a few tickets here that have run into this issue).
Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Casey,

Thanks for reaching out. I've looked through your checklist and I'm afraid what you have in mind won't be possible to realize, mainly due to the fact that you cannot build download links for private tracks. For public tracks with downloads enabled, you can simply add /download.mp3 to the end of the direct URL and thus create links for a custom feed. However, this won't work with private tracks.

Other then that, every SoundCloud account now has an RSS feed, that the user might or might not want to use. Whether a track is included in that feed is up to the creator.

I hope this helps to get some clarity on some of your questions. Sorry I cannot provide a custom solution for that checklist.

More general info on how podcasting on SoundCloud works can be found here:
http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1209292-soundcloud-for-podcasters

Cheers
Mathis
Hi there Casey,

Thanks for reaching out. I've looked through your checklist and I'm afraid what you have in mind won't be possible to realize, mainly due to the fact that you cannot build download links for private tracks. For public tracks with downloads enabled, you can simply add /download.mp3 to the end of the direct URL and thus create links for a custom feed. However, this won't work with private tracks.

Other then that, every SoundCloud account now has an RSS feed, that the user might or might not want to use. Whether a track is included in that feed is up to the creator.

I hope this helps to get some clarity on some of your questions. Sorry I cannot provide a custom solution for that checklist.

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1209292-soundcloud-for-podcasters

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Mathis,

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm not too worried about the download function since whatever program a user is using for podcast listening will force download the file on demand.

Really, I just need to know if I can make a profile private and still give external listeners (non-Soundcloud listeners) access to the .mp3 source file. Or does a private profile and private audio mean absolutely no one can listen to the files, even if I share the links individually?

My other solution is to create an account and keep it public, but have the profile name and audio names be gibberish so that it doesn't show up in search results. This would just be awkward since it could show up in Soundcloud "Popular" streams (we get around 75k listens in the first couple of days after a post). Do you think this could work?
Hi there Casey,

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Mathis, I just wanted to follow up on this again. My question hasn't been fully answered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Casey,

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Casey,

Hmm, so, no, a profile cannot be set to be fully private so it doesn't turn up in any search results. Only individual tracks or playlists can be set to private, however you won't be able to create a download link that ends with .mp3 then.

Using a gibberish name could work, however might lead to some confusion among your listeners.

May I ask why you don't want for anyone to see your tracks publicly on SoundCloud? Is this only to ensure users come to your website and don't listen to the tracks on SoundCloud directly, or is there another reason behind it? Maybe if you explain the expected outcome a bit further, I can help.
Hi there Casey,

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Mathis,

Thanks for the response. That's exactly why. We're looking strictly for a hosting provider. It's a popular podcast and we're happy to handle the feed ourselves, we just need a place to host the files that doesn't cost us a fortune (like Amazon S3). Our podcast consists of talks, but we sell additional talks on our own website. We just don't want another site competing in search results with our main site or the iTunes podcast link. We want everyone who searches for our keywords to find our store and not anything else (outside of the iTunes podcast).

We're not trying to get listeners on SoundCloud (no offense - we're just trying to limit the areas to find our content) and we'd handle the feed ourselves, so the gibberish route is an option I guess. We'd just need the .mp3 source file really.