Question

Itunes Categories have officially changed on the homepage when will Soundcloud Support the New Categories?

As the title says the new Categories and Subcategories are officially in place making the RSS Categories completely obsolete. My podcasts is up for renewal in the fall and I will really need to leave if this isn't fixed as its a basic fundamental feature in iTunes for making our show able to be seen. Is there any news if this will be updated as its now a standard part of iTunes/Apple Podcast which is the largest Podcast Platform?

10 replies

Looking for the same answer thanks.
Also wondering this. The new categories (and the desperate and oft-stated need for subcategories) are crucial to podcast discovery. We're leaving SoundCloud if this isn't addressed. As the OG states, Apple Podcasts is the largest podcatcher in the world, the simple changes needed to make SoundCloud compatible with it seem like a no-brainer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Unfortunately, resources are limited regarding podcasting development, however I have let our product team know about this. Once there are updates about the topic, we'll be sure to let the community know.
An absolute non-reply. I regularly see ads touting SoundCloud as "the #1 podcast host" in the country. Maybe don't advertise that if you aren't going to put effort into offering basic podcasting resources. We're transferring to Libsyn today, and will urge other audio dramas to do the same.
An absolute non-reply. I regularly see ads touting SoundCloud as "the #1 podcast host" in the country. Maybe don't advertise that if you aren't going to put effort into offering basic podcasting resources. We're transferring to Libsyn today, and will urge other audio dramas to do the same.

I have to agree. It is concerning that Soundcloud offers the podcast hosting service, but is not keeping up with core services from the leading podcast consumption tool. I can appreciate if there might be a lag between Apple offering it and Soundcloud supporting it. But it has been in the works for some time.

Of all the responses Soundcloud could say, responding that "resources are limited" is about the worst one you could choose. If you can't keep up, maybe you shouldn't offer the service in the first place.

I am also thinking about making the move. This is extremely important.
The move was easy and fast. Libsyn took care of everything. We've already (three days in) gotten the new categories in place, have seen our chart position jump, and have seen an increase in downloads/streams. That last my not be exclusively the move, but discoverability (nearly nonexistent with SoundCloud) has to be part of it.
That is very interesting to hear about Libsyn. It is unfortunate that Soundcloud isn't getting on top of this.
This is really bad behavior from Soundcloud to us who pay a fair amount of money to host podcasts on SC. Been a fan of SC since they started but can truly say that a move to Libsyn is more and more on our mind.
Very disappointing. I hate to make assumptions about how much time and effort these things take but, as others have said, this is a basic and necessary feature that's been around for several months now.

There's a page somewhere that recommends feedburner, which is even more out of date. Been a big fan of soundcloud for a long time but sadly at this rate we'll have to take our content elsewhere.