Answered

itunes keeps rejecting my podcast because the show description is not complete...

• 16 May 2019
  • 5 replies

I have been trying to submit my podcast to itunes, and they rejected it due to "this appears to be a test of the podcasting system" - despite the fact I had already uploaded 15 47 minute episodes... When I sent them a note, they explained that it was rejected because the show description was not complete. When they showed me what was appearing in the description, it became clear that the "custom author name" field from the Content form was being duplicated in both the author and the description field in itunes. There is no "Description" field in the Content form. I tried updating the custom author field with both the author name and a brief description, and I got the response below:

"Hello Kristina,

Thank you for your reply, and providing this information.

In reviewing the RSS feed, it appears the Author and the Description have been updated with the same information. I have included a screenshot of the Author, Summary and Description; as currently shown in the XML.

To correct the Author tag, you would want to edit the referenced "Custom Author Name" to just your Author or company name, removing the additional information.

I am showing your podcast Summary as, "Podcast by Rinaldo Brutoco, the Optimist Daily an…”.

The description of your podcast is currently showing as, "Podcast by Rinaldo Brutoco, the Optimist Daily and the World Business Academy bring you real news from a Solutions perspective. Each week we address issues including climate change, social justice, personal growth, & the economy. We also interview a new guest each"

You would want to update the placeholder information “Podcast by Rinaldo Brutoco”, and reply back when these changes have been updated. Thank you for your assistance.

If you need assistance with updating your podcast Author or Description, please reach out to SoundCloud support."

I am not sure how to finish this task to get itunes to list our show! I have heard several other SoundCloud podcasters have the same issue - is there something wrong between the two platforms? Please help me to navigate.

Kristy
icon

Best answer by Mathis 16 July 2019, 11:08

Hi @We'll Let You Know ,

Solution News is uploading new tracks to SoundCloud on a regular basis, so I can only assume they did figure this out, or found a way to work around this.

I've taken a look at your profile. You currently have a long description in your "Custom author name" field on your SoundCloud settings page. https://soundcloud.com/settings/content (iTunes will look at these fields for the metadata to your podcast).

Easy - just remove the description from there and put it in the "Bio" section. (by going to your profile page on SoundCloud and pressing the "Edit" button on the right hand side under your profile banner).

This should already help 🙂
View original

5 replies

Did you ever figure this out?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @We'll Let You Know ,

Solution News is uploading new tracks to SoundCloud on a regular basis, so I can only assume they did figure this out, or found a way to work around this.

I've taken a look at your profile. You currently have a long description in your "Custom author name" field on your SoundCloud settings page. https://soundcloud.com/settings/content (iTunes will look at these fields for the metadata to your podcast).

Easy - just remove the description from there and put it in the "Bio" section. (by going to your profile page on SoundCloud and pressing the "Edit" button on the right hand side under your profile banner).

This should already help 🙂
@Mathis I tried that and it still got rejected 😞 oh boy
I am having the same problem with our new podcast. I've put a description in the bio. Looking on other forums, the problem seems to be that there is no tag in the top section - Apple no longer recognises the tags. I've looked through the backend of SoundCloud and can't see any way to add this. Can anyone help? Here's our feed: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:668525831/sounds.rss

Do we need to move to a new platform that supports these tags?
Itunes is telling me I need to remove the Podcast By from a few fields.

I noticed yours doesn't have Podcast By. Guessing that's a default phrase, but I don't see how to remove it. Did you remove it? I don't see a way to alter it.

Thanks!

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:565133517/sounds.rss