Question

iTunes podcast approval problems

• 14 February 2015
  • 13 replies

My podcast is hosted on Soundcloud and I submitted it to iTunes a month ago, but it's still not approved and Apple hasn't responded to any of my support queries. It definitely doesn't violate any of the iTunes reasons for rejection that they list in their podcast FAQ.

My Feedburner feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/tgpmdp (this is what I submitted to iTunes)
My SoundCloud feed: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:131538819/sounds.rss

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated! Is there a chance that iTunes is trying to communicate with me through SoundCloud?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Mathis,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Soundcloud RSS and it's validated, so that's a good sign.

Unfortunately, I did not have my own email address selected for the feed (d'oh!).

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. When I try to submit the RSS (both Soundcloud and Feedburner), iTunes tells me the feed has already been submitted. Is there a way to get rid of the current RSS and start with a fresh one, or adjust it somehow so that it gets through to iTunes for approval again?

Thanks,
James

Hey James,

#fingerscrossed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Mathis,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Soundcloud RSS and it's validated, so that's a good sign.

Unfortunately, I did not have my own email address selected for the feed (d'oh!).

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. When I try to submit the RSS (both Soundcloud and Feedburner), iTunes tells me the feed has already been submitted. Is there a way to get rid of the current RSS and start with a fresh one, or adjust it somehow so that it gets through to iTunes for approval again?

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

Thank you for the update and for your continued patience on this. I have now forwarded your query to our engineers again for them to have another look. I also double checked your feed, but everything looks fine from our end, so I'm kind of running out of ideas myself here.

I will let you know as soon as I hear back from the engineers. Thanks for hanging in there. Really hoping to get you up and running on iTunes soon.

Cheers
Mathis
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Shoot, the Soundcloud RSS was rejected. As far as I can tell, it doesn't violate any of iTunes' reasons for rejection and it's validated according to castfeedvalidator.com.

The RSS link: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:131538819/sounds.rss

My Soundcloud profile: https://soundcloud.com/thegoodpack

Any idea why I might be rejected? The podcast features independent music that I have permission to use, and from what I understand iTunes does not reject podcasts just because of copyright concerns like that. There are so many successful music podcasts out there.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
James
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

Sorry to leave you hanging. Have you had success submitting yet? We have had other users that were rejected and they were encouraged by Apple to resubmit because this could simply be an error on their part.

Let us know!

Cheers,
Gina
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Hey Mathis and Gina,

I hate to report more bad news, but the iTunes Store rejected the podcast for the third time. I've sent them two emails asking for more info on why it's being rejected, and I get a stock answer of reasons, none of which apply to my podcast:

• Technical problems, usually the lack of episodes or the inability to download or play episodes. These problems can almost always be avoided by testing your feed using Subscribe to Podcast in the File menu prior to submission.
• Requirement of a login or password to access the feed or any of the episodes.
• Strong prevalence of sexual content.
• Use of explicit language in the podcast when the <explicit> tag is not set to “yes”
• References to illegal drugs, profanity, or violence in the title, description, or cover art
• Images or language that could be construed as racist, misogynist, or homophobic
• Images depicting sex, violence, gore, illegal drugs, or hate themes
• Third-party trademarks without authorization or usage rights
• The words “iTunes Store,” “iTunes,” or “Apple Inc.”
• iTunes Store logo, Apple logo, or the term “Exclusive” without prior authorization from Apple

Like I said earlier, I tested the ability to subscribe/download the feed through iTunes and it all worked perfectly.

Any other ideas? Does Soundcloud have a direct contact with iTunes Podcast support who might answer you guys?

Soundcloud RSS: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:131538819/sounds.rss
Feedburner: http://feeds.feedburner.com/goodpackmusic

Thanks for your help with this.

- James
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for posting and sorry about the troubles. Let's see - first things first, I'd recommend to go ahead and try and see if the SoundCloud RSS validates properly to isolate the issue further.

Other then that, I'd recommend for you to login and go to your settings page, then choose "extra" and make sure you've chosen your own email address in the "Feed email address" field.

Hope this helps already! If not so, please let us know here.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Hey Gina,

Thanks for checking up on this. The podcast still isn't on iTunes yet -- it's been rejected both times and I'm not sure why.

I just made some changes and submitted it for the third time, so we'll see if the third time's the charm. The feed is validated according to CastFeedValidator.com and I could properly subscribe to it through iTunes by using the "File -> Subscribe to Podcast" option. (They suggest testing that feature before submitting for iTunes Store approval.)

iTunes support sent me a vague message saying the first two feeds were rejected for one of several reasons. Going down the list, this was the only problem I could possibly imagine:
  • iTunes Store logo, Apple logo, or the term “Exclusive” without prior authorization from Apple
My original cover photo featured a silhouette of a guitar player, and it's kind of reminiscent of old iPod advertisements. So I made a new cover photo, which is great because I like it more.

Old photo: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/goodpack/podimg/music-discovery75.jpg

New photo: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/goodpack/podimg/Music-Discovery-Podcast.jpg

Anyway, we'll see if that does the trick.

My newest feed (running Soundcloud through Feedburner): http://feeds.feedburner.com/goodpackmusic

Thanks,
James
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Hi there James,

Thank you for your update, really hoping the podcast goes through this time. I have double checked all of the parameters for your RSS feed on our end and it looks like everything is in place and correct.

Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers
Mathis
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Many thanks, Mathis!
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Hi again James,

So, I have a response, however I'm afraid it is not one that we'll be able to turn into action. Our devs have looked into it again and there really is nothing that indicates why your podcast would be rejected from a technical standpoint.

We noticed your podcast is about music discovery - maybe there are any restrictions / concerns about copyright violations that could play a role? Unfortunately, there currently is not an option for us to see as to why a podcasting was rejected either, so I',m afraid you'll have to keep insisting on the iTunes support and ask for a tailored response to your query.

I really wish there was more we could do from our end here. All the best to you, and please do let us know if you find out more.

Mathis
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Hey again James,

Hmm, let's see. I've done some research around this and found back a response from Apple to another user who was having similar issues:

"Concerning your question about resubmitting the feed, we recommend that you submit as a different feed or name in this case."

Also, this seems to be a topic that's discussed on other platforms as well.

Hoping this leads to the solution for you!

Cheers
Mathis
Hey Mathis,

Thanks,
James

Hmmmm, I've changed the Feedburner URL a few times and iTunes immediately returns an error saying the feed has already been submitted, and it said the same thing the first time I tried submitting the direct Soundcloud RSS.

I even deleted the old Feedburner feed and created a brand new one using the Soundcloud RSS, and iTunes told me it had already been submitted. That indicated to me that I can't resubmit anything using the Soundcloud RSS.... BUT:

While typing this, I just tried changing the title in Soundcloud and then resubmitting, and of all the things, THAT worked. I'm hoping 2nd time's a charm. I've been trying to get this podcast listed on iTunes for over a month!

Thank you for your help,
James