Question

Music copyright clearance

• 15 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi I’m recording a talk podcast during which a commercially published musician will also perform his songs.  Is it OK to broadcast the music on my podcast as long as I have clearance from the artist and the music publisher?

3 replies

Hi @Adrian Goldberg 

You need to contact your digital distributor to make sure your SoundCloud account gets whitelisted. I'm guessing this is self-released since "Adrian Goldberg", not another label name, is being given as the copyright owner.
Also, can you link your SoundCloud profile here? There's a lot of Adrian Goldberg’s, including this one which looks like it's been set up by a label for monetizing a back-catalog and the artist might not be aware of it: https://soundcloud.com/adrian-goldberg-8830200

Thanks Mike - sorry to be dumb but what does “digital distributor” mean?  Is that the rights holder to the music?  Do I then apply to be “whitelisted” by Sound Cloud?

If you are trying to do this make sure you have clearance and give credit to the artist and the music publisher otherwise you should be good