My podcast stats look different. What changed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there podcasters,

On April 28th, we started tracking RSS downloads as its own unique, private metric to help creators more clearly understand how their audience is engaging with their content. Previously, RSS downloads and SoundCloud plays were tracked together under the same “plays” metric. Now, podcasters can clearly see RSS download activity and the country, city and top app data associated with those downloads.

For podcasters who were using SoundCloud to distribute their sounds via RSS before April 28th 2015, play counts may appear higher on older episodes and lower on newer episodes, but the difference in displayed play count is not due to any loss of listenership. Rather, the play count displayed publicly on newer tracks may appear lower because the public play count now only reflects SoundCloud plays and excludes RSS activity.

Hope this helps to clarify any confusion around recent changes in your stats.

All the best & happy podcasting,

Mathis

14 replies

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Play counts broken?.

Since 5/1, my podcast tracks have dropped from averaging about 2,000 plays to less than 10. Has something changed where iTunes plays aren't counting anymore?
Great new feature! (although you did have us digging for 2 days wondering why our stats were down).

I would be nice to still have an "All plays" as we don't usually differentiate how people listen to our show. The way it is currently implemented, we will have to make those calculations ourselves.

Thanks
Mathis,

A majority of our podcast's listeners use RSS feeds to listen to our episodes. We would greatly appreciate you displaying those stats, as it now looks like we only have a handful of listeners.

We have been a premium subscriber for a long time and this might cause us to use a different host because SoundCloud's new alternations give the false impression that we have an unpopular product.

Thank you,

Center City Comedy
I've tried to see my RSS Downloads stats and they_ve disappeared. How can i check them again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

@SuperAmibos, you should see the podcasting stats on your stats page. This is now enabled for everyone. If you still don't see them, can you take a screenshot and send it over?

Apart from that, I've forwarded your feedback about this to our product team for review now.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 1
Mathis,

A majority of our podcast's listeners use RSS feeds to listen to our episodes. We would greatly appreciate you displaying those stats, as it now looks like we only have a handful of listeners.

We have been a premium subscriber for a long time and this might cause us to use a different host because SoundCloud's new alternations give the false impression that we have an unpopular product.

Thank you,

Center City Comedy

Thanks for the feedback! We'll take this into consideration as we continue to develop the product.

In the short term, as a Pro user, you have the option to hide your stats - http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/574189-how-do-i-hide-comments-and-stats-on-my-tr...
Mathis,

Thank you,

Center City Comedy

I hope you will consider implementing this soon. We are in the same boat. It looks like our channel is dead now.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Stats not collecting?.

Is anyone else having problems with stats not showing up? We do a regular(ish) podcast and regularly get 2000-3000 listens across all platforms and we know from surveys and data analysis etc that we have a core audience of 1400 who within 2 weeks of a show being released will have listened/downloaded by for our latest podcast we are only showing 208 listens - we know that can't be right as we've gone up the iTunes ratings.
We need to demonstrate consistent numbers for our sponsors so we can afford to keep the podcast going and this massive drop - at a time we would expect a surge - is quite concerning and we'd like to know if there has been a problem recently with stats being collected?
Mathis,

Thank you,

Center City Comedy

THIS! I thought something horrible happened, but looking at our downloads, it's only gone up. I don't want to hide my stats, but I guess I'll have to if the number of plays looks so incredibly low. I'd rather they just be able to see my RSS downloads then, so they have a real idea of who is accessing the podcast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Mathis,

Thank you,

Center City Comedy

Hey hey,

Update on this coming to a SoundCloud near you soon 🙂 More details about this here.
And now you've changed it. Again.

Data needs to be consistent - either pick one way of displaying it, or give us the tools and let us decide how it is displayed. Changing it up every few weeks makes the data completely and utterly worthless.
I agree!
We are trying to work for months with stats data but soundcloud keeps changing it. How can we use the stats if we don't even know if the data is correct?

For example: Our stats are showing inconsistent values for plays and RSS feed. Please fix this. Soundcloud is making everything so much difficult for us, podcasters.
urrrggghhh. Whats wrong with Plays = Total Plays, and then behind the scenes, you can check where they came from?
Userlevel 3