Question

Podcast episodes are ending and stopping for listeners.

• 27 July 2016
  • 3 replies

My podcast On The Block Radio is a long form interview show and all my files are uploaded as mp3's. We have been getting feedback from a growing number of listeners that the show is shutting off and ending before the end of the episodes.

The feedback that I am getting is that when this happens all users are listening direct via Soundcloud and not through a third party player or application like iTunes or Google Play.
These are direct listens via the SC embed code or direct on the SC player page.

Please advise - anyone who has experienced similar issues, I'd be interested in knowing the details.

Thanks!
Mike DiNapoli
www.OntheBlockRadio.com
www.PotcastOregon.com

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I looked into your profile, yet couldn't spot anything that would cause this from your or our end.

Any chance your listeners have provided details about their setup (browser, operating system, etc)? We would typically ask our users to perform basic troubleshooting steps to see if this can easily be fixed from their end.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers
M
Hi there,

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I looked into your profile, yet couldn't spot anything that would cause this from your or our end.

Any chance your listeners have provided details about their setup (browser, operating system, etc)? We would typically ask our users to perform basic troubleshooting steps to see if this can easily be fixed from their end.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers
M

Hello Mathis.
I was hoping you'd been the one to chime in. I have been doing troubleshooting with our audience and some additional testing internally with our team. Here is some of the data we've collected.
--
This one comes from a listener:

The Jennifer Pastiloff Taleghany episode cut off at 53:25. Perhaps it has something to do with editing around the breaks. I don't want to hassle you with updates on every episode, but thought a time stamp might help you troubleshoot.

I listen on an iPhone 6s (64gb) using Apple's Podcast app. I have a few episodes in the queue and would be happy to forward time stamps if that helps identify things on the back end. Looking forward to the next OTBR and Potcast Oregon episode.
---

Our most recent guest Howard Bloom, the marketing genius behind, Prince, Michael Jackson, Perter Gabriel and many more. He was listening via the embed code from SC that we place on our website Ontheblockradio.com

I was able to repeat the issue also while listening via the SC page. When I listen to the episodes via Google Music app I am yet to experience the problem.

--

I've been uploading MP3 files for our 45 episodes we've done but they been some pretty larger files. I've had some guest in separate messages comment about the MP3 files size, do you think this could be an issue? Might some devices be timing out?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be helpful.
Also how can you help us get more exposure? How can we become a featured post one of these days?

Thanks!
Producer Mike
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Mike,

First of all, let me apologise for the delay in responding here. Have you heard any further complaints / feedback about episodes skipping / crashing before they are actually over? I've looked into your account again to double check everything is alright and all the settings are correct.

I really cannot think of anything that would cause for an episode to stop except for when the internet connection gets interrupted - tracks will typically be buffered, however if the internet connection fails at some point, it could be that the track ends abruptly.

Hope you don't hear many more complaints about this and your listeners have a flawless podcasting experience moving forward!

Cheers
Mathis