Question

Podcast for music reviews

• 29 March 2015
  • 1 reply

Hello, I want to start an independent podcast where I will be criticising and reviewing new and old music. Would it be a problem if my support my arguments with actual audio examples, say if I use short passages of the songs that I'm talking about ? Would that conflict with copyright issues ? Thanks!

PS: Don't know if it matters or not, but the podcast will be for a non-English speaking country.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi dimmez,

Thank you for posting on the forum. If you're planning to do reviews and publish them on SoundCloud and possibly on iTunes as well, you will definitely need to make sure that you have the necessary rights to publish the music - even if it is just excerpts. If you do have all necessary rights, you should be ok, however, depending on the music you're planning to review, collecting the permission from all rights holders might be a huge undertaking.

Either way, this is just a general advise & my 2 cents here - I'd recommend for you to take a look here: https://soundcloud.com/pages/copyright - if you have further questions around this, it'll be best to get in touch with our copyrights team directly - you can write them an email here.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Mathis