Question

Podcast not Playing on iTunes - "play wheel" just spinning endlessly

Hi There,

Recently our podcast hasn't been playing on itunes from the podcast store/search section. The RSS feeds through correctly and you can search and find every episode, and if you are subscribed, it works perfectly in the "my podcast" section.

However, if you were trying to listen for the first time (ie not subscribed), it will not load. The play wheel spins endlessly (the little loading circle that spins around the play button that replaces the track number when you click play on a track):

I first had this problem when I upgraded to the newest version of itunes on PC at work (12/10/15), and then tested at home on version 11.4 on Mac and both are having the same problem. I also tested on a friends mac (but I don't know his version)--it's also having the same problem.

Two things to note:
1. Weirdly, Episode 1 still plays from the store/search function.
2. All episodes were playing from store/search without issue last week.

Any fix would be greatly appreciated, because while I know about the subscribing and using the podcasts library section, I feel like there are people out there less invested in this project who might not figure that one out so easily.

Thanks,
Dan

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Dan,

Thanks for writing in and apologies for a delayed response. Is this still an issue for you? Are all of the tracks playing ok and have RSS enabled on the track permissions? If so, then I recommend getting in touch with iTunes support.

Thanks again,
Gina
Hi Gina,

RSS is enabled, and the tracks are playing through the subscribe section of itunes as normal, it's just the search function that's strangely problematic

I've been in touch with iTunes support and the issue is, apparently, that the feed is forcing a download on the itunes play button, which lags and crashes iTunes.

I have downloads disabled on the tracks in question, so I can't figure why that's happening, nor why it suddenly started happening when the tracks used to play in this part of iTunes.

Aside from in the permissions section of the track settings, is there any other place that downloads need to be disabled?

-Dan
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Gina,

RSS is enabled, and the tracks are playing through the subscribe section of itunes as normal, it's just the search function that's strangely problematic

I've been in touch with iTunes support and the issue is, apparently, that the feed is forcing a download on the itunes play button, which lags and crashes iTunes.

I have downloads disabled on the tracks in question, so I can't figure why that's happening, nor why it suddenly started happening when the tracks used to play in this part of iTunes.

Aside from in the permissions section of the track settings, is there any other place that downloads need to be disabled?

-Dan

Hi Dan,

Hmm, no, this is the only place. Interestingly enough, though, downloads seem to be enabled for your first episode, which is the only track that plays fine in the preview in the iTunes store, right? Can you try enabling downloads on another track, give this some time, then see if this makes a difference? To my knowledge, it shouldn't, but it would be good to know in terms of troubleshooting if it does.
Hi Gina,

-Dan

Hey Mathis,

I thought that was weird too, so I enabled downloads on "Episode 8 - Swap Meet" a few days ago and it hasn't changed anything on the itunes end.

I've also tried, on another episode, turning downloads on, saving it, then turning downloads off again and saving it again, but that didn't work either.

Are there any programs that work in the same way that itunes preview works, so that I could submit the rss to that and see if it has any issues with streaming?

-Dan
Hey Dan,

We are having the same issue with our podcast with the play wheel on iTunes spinning endlessly when trying to play the episode, even though downloads are enabled. Just wondering if you were able to resolve your issue, please let us know any solution that you may have come to.

Thanks,

-Mort
Hey Mort,

After all that, it looks like it's just m4a files that aren't playing--we replaced the m4a file of one of our episodes with an mp3 and it is now playing in the store search function:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/epidose-14-wise-guys/id1031879825?i=355420180&mt=2

We put up episode 15 after that as an mp3 from the get go and it's also working, and our first ep that was working the whole time was mp3... so it looks to me like Apple has put in some update that has mucked up m4a in certain circumstances. Or something.

-Dan
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Mort,

After all that, it looks like it's just m4a files that aren't playing--we replaced the m4a file of one of our episodes with an mp3 and it is now playing in the store search function:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/epidose-14-wise-guys/id1031879825?i=355420180&mt=2

We put up episode 15 after that as an mp3 from the get go and it's also working, and our first ep that was working the whole time was mp3... so it looks to me like Apple has put in some update that has mucked up m4a in certain circumstances. Or something.

-Dan

WOW! Dan, thanks so much for following up on this here. I'll go ahead and forward your findings to our podcasting product team as well, to see if this lines up with he info we have on that.

Either way, I'm glad you were able to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks again, and happy SoundClouding!

Cheers
Mathis
Hey Mort,

-Dan

Thanks!
Hey Mort,

-Dan

I'm having the same issues with our podcast. We are putting m4a on SoundCloud. Was it determined that iTunes is only allowing streaming of mp3? Thanks!
Hey Mort,

-Dan

Yeah, mate. It only seems to be streaming mp3.
I have no idea why, though, so hopefully you don't need to know that.
Hi everybody

i encountered the same issue with my m4a files and even if it works with mp3 files, i asked the Podcasts Connect Support and they told me to convert my wave files to AAC with iTunes. And it worked.

I don't understand why, what's so specific with the iTunes encoder, i don't have an answer yet.
The weirdest thing is that i even tried to convert the files with Logic Pro X and it didn't work too.

Hope it will help some of you guys.
Regards
I have the same issue and produce the episodes via GarageBand which claims to be converting the file to AAC so I'm confused as to why the m4a files don't work. I've just tried changing the suffix to .mp3, replaced the Soundcloud file with the new .mp3 and will give it time to refresh on iTunes store.

How does one convert files to AAC on iTunes?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.