Answered

Question on RSS feed redirection

• 9 August 2017
  • 3 replies

I started my weekly podcast on July 8th, and it's up and running in both iTunes and Google Play. I'm using the Seriously Simple Podcasting app in WordPress from my website to host my podcasts currently, meaning my RSS feed is set as of now. I've looked and I know that SoundCloud doesn't have an import function for existing RSS feeds, so here is my question. It seems pretty straightforward, but I REALLY don't want to screw this up.

The Podcasting app in WordPress has a redirect function available. If I redirect my current RSS feed from my website to the SoundCloud RSS feed I just created, and begin uploading my new episodes to SoundCloud, will iTunes and Google Play still function as if nothing changed?

Second question. I am using Podtrac currently, meaning it's pointed to my RSS feed on my website. Will I need to make any changes to this for it to function properly?

Final question. I currently only have 5 episodes. Obviously, SoundCloud will not ever be able to host those since they're already hosted on my website. If I do as described above, and keep my first 5 episodes on my website, will new iTunes/Google Play subscribers still have access to those episodes in their respective apps?

Thank you very much.

~Derek
icon

Best answer by shawnmx 9 August 2017, 18:34

If you redirect your current feed URL to your SoundCloud feed URL, your current subscribers, and most of your syndication points, will automatically update to use the SoundCloud feed URL in place of your current feed. I'd strongly advise against doing this unless you have a very, very good reason to do so.

I'm guessing that maybe you're hoping to automate some sort of crossposting between your WordPress site and your SoundCloud account. If so, redirecting the feed WILL NOT achieve this. At present, there's no way to automatically crosspost between these two platforms.

In order for Podtrac to track your downloads, the Podtrac stats redirect URL must be present in your current feed's media enclosures, assuming you've set it up that way. Podtrac also has a "mirror feed" URL you can use in place of your original feed URL, but that only works if you direct people to subscribe to it directly instead of your main feed. I'm not that familiar with Seriously Simple, but it probably has an option within its settings to add the Podtrac stats redirect URL. That's a better option than using the Podtrac mirror URL.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
If you redirect your current feed URL to your SoundCloud feed URL, your current subscribers, and most of your syndication points, will automatically update to use the SoundCloud feed URL in place of your current feed. I'd strongly advise against doing this unless you have a very, very good reason to do so.

I'm guessing that maybe you're hoping to automate some sort of crossposting between your WordPress site and your SoundCloud account. If so, redirecting the feed WILL NOT achieve this. At present, there's no way to automatically crosspost between these two platforms.

In order for Podtrac to track your downloads, the Podtrac stats redirect URL must be present in your current feed's media enclosures, assuming you've set it up that way. Podtrac also has a "mirror feed" URL you can use in place of your original feed URL, but that only works if you direct people to subscribe to it directly instead of your main feed. I'm not that familiar with Seriously Simple, but it probably has an option within its settings to add the Podtrac stats redirect URL. That's a better option than using the Podtrac mirror URL.
@shawnmx My reason is that I feel I can expand my audience by being available on multiple platforms. I'm already on iTunes and Google Play as I said, but not everyone uses them. I know SoundCloud is quite popular, which is why I came here, but if it's a bad idea to change, then it's a bad idea. It would be great if SoundCloud allowed me to use my existing RSS feed, but for some reason that hasn't been made possible... maybe I'll just wait around for it, but your explanation has definitely persuaded me to not redirect my existing feed. Thanks a lot! I appreciate the insight.
Userlevel 5
Badge
You can always crosspost your show to SoundCloud and treat it as a secondary distribution point. But you've already got an RSS feed you own and control on your own website. Don't give that up.