Question

Setting Explicit Content for Individual Tracks

I know there is the option to set all tracks as containing explicit content in the content setting section, but is there a way to do this for individual tracks?

I run a podcast where some episodes have swearing but others don't.

Thanks!

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Epes,

This is a setting mandated by iTunes. They prefer for you to set to explicit content if any of your episodes have explicit content.

Thanks,
Gina
Hi Gina, thanks for the reply.

I've used other podcast hosts before and they allow individual tracks to be marked as explicit, rather than all or none.

Thought there must be a way to do it on SoundCloud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
EPES wrote:

I've used other podcast hosts before and they allow individual tracks to be marked as explicit, rather than all or none.

Hi EPES,

Thank you for following up on this. This currently isn't a feature we offer. I have forwarded your query to the relevant product team though.
Userlevel 1
EPES wrote:

I would like to draw a line under this, as well. On our podcast we allow our guests and interviewees complete license to say whatever they like, but the hosts don't swear. So many episodes don't have any explicit content, only the odd episode here and there.

I'd love a "switch" that can be flipped in the metadata that would mark individual episodes as explicit like I've seen on the Adam Carolla Show and Nerdist Podcast.
Userlevel 1
Agreed! This needs to be offered. I'm considering switching services for this feature.
Userlevel 1
I commented on another thread about this (which has gone ignored apparently for the better part of a year). I've already decided to cancel my premium account in the new year when I bring my podcast back because you guys are still ignoring this vital feature. It's completely untrue that iTunes wants you to mark entire feeds explicit if only some episodes are. They have the capability of marking things explicit on a track-by-track basis for a reason (and most accounts I've seen note that iTunes only requires a feed to be marked explicit if one of the last 10 episodes is explicit -- there must be a way to mark feeds clean while still labeling older archived episodes explicit for non-iTunes listeners).

Any podcast host worth using can support a feature as basic as that. Having to mark non-explicit content as explicit because of your limitations costs podcast hosts listeners. And if you don't care about that, you're not a viable option for podcasting. I'm incredibly disappointed that you opened podcasting up out of beta while ignoring things like this for so long. You're great as a basic audio hosting service. But when it comes to podcasting, SoundCloud still isn't ready for primetime. It's concerning to see company reps saying things that show they don't even understand podcasting basics. Because of things like that, I'm taking my money elsewhere moving forward.
EPES wrote:

Please, Soundcloud add this feature. Most of my episodes will not be explicit. I'd like more control over this feature. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Gina wrote:

Hi Epes,

This is a setting mandated by iTunes. They prefer for you to set to explicit content if any of your episodes have explicit content.

Thanks,
Gina

I work for Apple. Based on every source I've been able to speak with, this is untrue.
I agree with everyone else. When will this issue be given the importance it really deserves?
Agreed! We need to be able to mark individual episodes as explicit.
I agree as well. As a relatively new customer who hosts a podcasts on SoundCloud, I am very annoyed to find that I can not mark tracks as explicit on an individually basis. PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE!
Userlevel 1
Woah! It looks like they FINALLY (and quietly) gave us what we've been asking for. Check the metadata section for tracks. You can finally set tracks to explicit it seems.
Wow, that's great, but it doesn't seem to be reflected in the rss feed, which isn't so great.

Userlevel 1
Well great. They really don't get it, do they?
Is there any update on this issue? The metadata tag for individual tracks does not seem to update the RSS feed. This is a potential deal breaker for my premium account subscription as well. I am considering moving my podcast account to another service provider that can provide me with this simple option. All I have to do is change an itunes tag from "no" to "yes" on the source xml code but I cannot manually edit the feed either. Please Soundcloud, with a degree of urgency, can you resolve this?
Very strange... Apparently, in Soundcloud, the Settings > Content > "Contains explicit content" box will affect EVERY <itunes:explicit> tag in your RSS feed, regardless of what you select in the Edit track > Metadata > "Contains explicit content" box for individual tracks.

For example, if you select "Yes" for the Settings > Content > "Contains explicit content" box, the RSS feed will tag <itunes:explicit>yes</itunes:explicit> for every track, and if you select "NO" in the Settings > Content > "Contains explicit content" box, the RSS feed will tag <itunes:explicit>no</itunes:explicit> for every track.

The Edit track > Metadata > "Contains explicit content" box will not affect the <itunes:explicit> tag in the RSS feed. Is this a difficult change to make?
I agree! This feature is necessary. Been needing it for weeks now.
THIS MUST HAPPEN>
my show has guest that may speak however they like, others prefer to remain clean in content. My listeners will drop if they cant be warned before listening.

thanks
EPES wrote:

I run a podcast where some episodes have swearing but others don't.

This issue is marked "SOLVED" but it is not! At least as far as I can figure out. I took off my general feed notation of "Explicit" and in the Metadata marked individual episodes one by one accordingly in the option button provided for that. Now, on iTunes my podcast is listed as ALL clean lyrics. That's not quite true so I may have trouble with iTunes and now I guess I need to go back and keep the complete Explicit rating for the whole thing. Disappointing.

I really want the option to mark only 3 of 15 episodes "explicit" when an occasional guest will say one word that would be considered "explicit".

I've seen many a podcast on iTunes with some individual episodes labeled explicit and others that aren't. I assume they are not using Soundcloud. Do I have to leave and use another provider? I have heard that Soundcloud is not the best for podcasts, and if they can't figure this out - or lets us know how to REALLY solve it then ........ maybe it's a no-brainer.
How on earth hasn't this been solved yet? I have just upgrade to a Premium service and now I find out that this measly little feature hasn't been enabled? Seriously SC - what's up with that??
Hello,

I currently have 2 episodes of which the second one has curse words, but not the first and probably I won't use curse words in future episodes at all. I set the general settings as "No Explicit Content" but on the episode that does have it, I set it as yes. However, the RSS feed is showing "No" for both episodes and it's not getting the explicit icon on iTunes. So, I need to know if I should set the general settings to "Yes" and if that will affect every single episode as if every single one had curse words or only this particular episode. Not really sure what's best to do. I wish we could manually edit the RSS feed to solve this type of mistakes. Thank you.