Question

Soundcloud Specifications of Transcoding for Podcasts

• 11 June 2015
  • 3 replies

I'm trying to settle on my podcast workflow using Soundcloud. I'm wondering the quality of file I should upload to soundcloud.

Here's what I'm looking to know: what is the bitrate Soundcloud converts the MP3's to for the podcast feed?

I understand that the bitrate for all streaming files on SC is 128kbps. I'm curious to hear if that's the same for the files you're putting in the podcast feeds?

Any specific technical info about your encoding process would be *greatly appreciated*. Are you using VBR? Are you filtering frequencies below or above certain thresholds?

One of my specific questions is: If I upload a big ass file (that's a technical term 🙂 I want to make sure that's not going to be the file that goes out in the podcast feed since bandwidth is such an issue for mobile devices.

(I understand that the original file I upload is always available to the listener via the Download link.)

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some more details about this. (I've been searching around for a while... found nothing much out there besides "We transcode everything to 128kbps for streaming, originally uploaded file is available through Download link." It'd be nice to hear just a few more details.)

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there,

Thanks for posting - great question! The file in your podcast is going to be the transcoded mp3-file (128kbps). I'll forward your query to the team to see if information around this in regards to the quality of the podcast-ed file can be made more visible.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 2
@Mathis, I don't think that's true. I encode my mp3 files in 64Kbps, which equates to roughly .5MBs per minute (half the number of minutes in MBs). When I look in my podcast app, the file sizes match those of the files I uploaded. For example, my 20 minute file is roughly 10MB in size when I download it through my podcast app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@Mathis, I don't think that's true. I encode my mp3 files in 64Kbps, which equates to roughly .5MBs per minute (half the number of minutes in MBs). When I look in my podcast app, the file sizes match those of the files I uploaded. For example, my 20 minute file is roughly 10MB in size when I download it through my podcast app.
Hi again,

Thanks for questioning that, actually! 🙂 I went back to our developers to see if there's any further insights into this, and indeed - if you upload your track as an mp3-file, the file that's pushed through the RSS is indeed the originally uploaded file. However, this is only the case for .mp3 files. For other formats, the 128kbps mp3-file we provide for streaming will be pushed to the RSS feed.

Hope this helps!