Question

Squarespace site, host audio on Soundcloud

• 11 April 2016
  • 6 replies

I have been hosting my podcast on Squarespace for over a year and want to now host my show's audio on Soundcloud. To have iTunes read the new RSS from Soundcloud do I simply change the RSS address URL in Podcast Connect? To verify, I am going to bring ALL of my shows here so I will be getting the pro unlimited account. Do I have to do anything with my old RSS feed that the show was initially using? Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Anytime you move a podcast from one location to another you must put in a 301 redirect at the URL of the old feed or you will lose subscribers. Updating the feed URL in Podcasts Connect will only help you for future subscribers. It will not carry over your current subscribers and they will be lost.
I want to do a similar thing. I've been looking for a general sort of "how-to" checklist for moving to Soundcloud, but haven't found it yet. My specific situation is that I've been hosting my podcast on Squarespace and want to move it to Soundcloud.

Is the gist of it that I copy my audio files to Soundcloud, then use the Squarespace setting to change the URL (that updates the <itunes:new-feed-url> tag), then change the RSS url with iTunes Connect? Do I also need to do a 301 redirect somewhere?

I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. My podcast is all short episodes, and only a couple dozen of them so far. But I don't want to lose subscribers along the way, if I can help it.
Userlevel 3
HI Mitten, I'd suggest uploading only your future podcasts to Soundcloud and once they're uploaded click the "share" button and get an embed code and then post that code to your squarespace website so you don't lose any current listeners and possibly gain new listeners via Soundcloud.

Soundcloud isn't a host for websites, just audio tracks...

And if you really desire to move away from Squarespace entirely, I'd suggest moving to your own hosting service and learn wordpress.org so you can have full control of your website, or if you want a website for free you could use wordpress.com and then upload all your podcasts to Soundcloud and then put the embed widget in each post on your new website... Hope that helps...
HI Mitten, I'd suggest uploading only your future podcasts to Soundcloud and once they're uploaded click the "share" button and get an embed code and then post that code to your squarespace website so you don't lose any current listeners and possibly gain new listeners via Soundcloud.

And if you really desire to move away from Squarespace entirely, I'd suggest moving to your own hosting service and learn wordpress.org so you can have full control of your website, or if you want a website for free you could use wordpress.com and then upload all your podcasts to Soundcloud and then put the embed widget in each post on your new website... Hope that helps...

I am moving away from Squarespace entirely.

I understand that Soundcloud is not a webhost.

I would like to host my podcast at Soundcloud and I will host a website elsewhere that links (or embeds) the podcast episodes here.

I do not need a free webhost.

Now then: do you have any thoughts on my actual question, which was, to recap:

What are the steps I need to take to move my podcast to Soundcloud?
Userlevel 3

Thanks for clarifying... I don't know what way your podcasts exist on Squarespace? Do you have copies of them as MP3 or Apple audio files that you uploaded to squarespace? Or did you record them directly onto Squarespace using one of their walled garden features?

Regardless... You need to get a copy of each podcast file and upload each one to your new Soundcloud account, then use the "share" feature on each Soundcloud track to post them to your new website.
Userlevel 5
Badge

To migrate from one podcast host to another, the basic scenario is this:
1.) Move your media files to the new hosting platform and set up your RSS feed there.
2.) Put a 301 redirect into place from the URL of the old feed to the URL of the new feed and also use the iTunes new feed URL tag within the old feed, pointing to the new feed URL.
3.) Once the redirect in place, check all syndication points (iTunes, Stitcher, etc.) and see if they've updated. You may need to manually update them, depending. DO NOT just go into Apple's Podcast Connect and change the feed URL in your iTunes Store listing without having the 301 redirect in place first or you will lose subscribers.