Question

Went from 50 daily listens to about 500. Would love to think they are 'real' but just seems too unlikely. Any way to find out?

• 13 January 2015
  • 5 replies

Hi there. I host my podcast on SC and adore it. Just posted my 125th episode and have done so for over 2 years. My show is growing, but almost overnight my stats went from 50 listens to over 500 a day. I have nothing to attribute that to, and I was wondering if there's a way to confirm they are real. And it's not just hundreds on one track, but every day across all of them, I get 3-5 new listens. Was the show embedded somewhere? I'm trying to figure it out in the stats, but I can't find anything. Thank you for any help!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there,
Thanks for writing in and sorry for the confusion here.

If you see that one of your tracks has an unusually high amount of plays this is usually because it is embedded in a blog somewhere. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to pinpoint exactly where this is. Therefore, your best option, if you’re keen to explore the reason behind these plays, is to do a Google search for the name of your track to try to see where it has been posted.

Additionally, it could be that another person has bought plays for your account, in which case I am afraid that right now we are not technically able to adjust play counts. We understand that this isn't ideal, and we are looking in to the best way to handle situations like this in the future.

Are the plays on a specific track, or is this for all of your tracks basically? I'd be happy to investigate further to see if I can find out more.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hey Mathis! Thanks for the reply. You know I thought at first the hits meant they were coming from a blog, etc. But it's not just one track, it's every one of my tracks across the board (there's 125 episodes).

So maybe someone posted EVERY track on their site? I assumed though I'd get referral hits on those, which I do on other sites I'm aware of that embed my podcast (like lifeofdad.com, you can see them in the stats).

I'd be pretty surprised if someone bought me hits, but I suppose that's an option too. Though if that was the case, I'd expect thousands of fake hits, not just a few hundred. And it's been very consistent every day, not just one major uptick.

I'd love for you to poke around a bit more if you don't mind. Thanks a lot for your help and time. --Dan
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me about this. Hm, so I've looked into this for you and can't find clues to any obvious fake plays. It looks like these are legitimate actually. I did see that you have all of your episodes up on iTunes, are on Medium, Stitcher and saw the name of your podcast popping up in a few other places, so I think the spike isn't as huge as it would first seem.

Keep up the good work :-)

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me about this. Hm, so I've looked into this for you and can't find clues to any obvious fake plays. It looks like these are legitimate actually. I did see that you have all of your episodes up on iTunes, are on Medium, Stitcher and saw the name of your podcast popping up in a few other places, so I think the spike isn't as huge as it would first seem.

Keep up the good work :-)

Cheers,
Mathis
Well, that's all good to hear. I'll take it. ;)

Thanks for your help, and your time. And if you like comedy podcasts, give it a shot! Ha. --Dan