Question

Android Facebook app problems

When I shared a link (https://soundcloud.com/hilton-kean-jones/bird-before-dawn-this-morning) on Facebook, when viewing the status from an Android Facebook app, it requires the viewer to sign in to SoundCloud or get an account. On any other platform, it doesn't do this--it just takes the viewer to a link. Has anyone else experienced this? I have read the related forum threads similar to this and I tried the debug. Nothing makes any difference. Since the world is increasingly mobile and Android has such a huge market share, it would seem that it would be in SoundCloud's interest to make sure links work well on the Facebook app there.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi HKJones,

Thanks for writing into the help forum. The track should be able to playback on Facebook on any mobile device however if the listener wants to take any action on the track (comment, like etc) then the user will need to log in or create a SoundCloud account.

Does this sound right to you? If the track is not even playing back at least once without a sign in then please get back to me and let me know.

Cheers,
Gina
The track doesn't play without a sign in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there HKJones,

I think I might be able to help with this. Here's the thing about Facebook - there are different ways you can share a track to Facebook, and currently, the different ways produce different types of posts on Facebook and how the user can interact with the posts.

You can
a) use the "Share" button under the waveform of the track to post your track to Facebook. This currently produces the artwork image on Facebook. Upon clicking the artwork, the user will be redirected to SoundCloud in order to listen to that song.

b) Copy & paste the link to your track directly into the status field on Facebook. This will produce the embedded player and users are able to listen to your track straight off their Facebook timeline.

I believe you're previously used method a) Can you try copy and pasting the link and see if this helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Mathis
I've tried both methods. Same thing happened both times. Only difference was that method (b) also shows the link in FB as well as the artwork, but the result is the same: requires viewer sign-in. I suspect the problem is the Android FB app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again,

Hmm, ok let's see - are you doing this on a Facebook artist page that is publicly available? If so, I could try an see if I can reproduce this from here.

Cheers
Mathis
Thanks, Mathis. Yes, I've pasted that link into https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hilton-Kean-Jones/113934005351164. You'll notice the first one (the bird sound) requires the viewer to login--at least it does for me. But, the links on previous posts that are done from my website, don't have that problem in the Android app. Also, please note: this problem only occurs when trying to access a SoundCloud link in Facebook from the Android Facebook app. Every other platform works as it should.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks, Mathis. Yes, I've pasted that link into https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hilton-Kean-Jones/113934005351164. You'll notice the first one (the bird sound) requires the viewer to login--at least it does for me. But, the links on previous posts that are done from my website, don't have that problem in the Android app. Also, please note: this problem only occurs when trying to access a SoundCloud link in Facebook from the Android Facebook app. Every other platform works as it should.
Hi again,

Hmm - ok, so I've tried this on my Android mobile and was able to listen to the track just fine actually. At first, the link from the Facebook app opened in the SoundCloud app, which I have installed on my device as well. After deleting the SoundCloud app, the link would redirect me to the SoundCloud mobile app, from where I was able to listen to your track straight away. (I like the bird sounds, btw :-)) Then, after reinstalling the SoundCloud app without signing in, I was indeed asked to sign in on the app. Maybe this is the case on your end, too?

Cheers
Mathis
Yes, that's the issue. On the Android Facebook app, it asks the viewer to either create a SoundCloud account or sign in. It doesn't take them to a player as it does on any other platform.

I suppose it's not that big a deal. I usually do stuff on Facebook through the website and that stuff plays as it should on the Android app...just the direct posts of SoundCloud links don't.

All I know is that people are weird about creating accounts just to listen to something. That's why many people didn't use Google+ (although they would gladly make a FB account...).

Thanks for exploring issue for me, Mathis.
Try installing Facebook APK manually following this steps:on your phone go to settings > security and check the unknown source check box
Download the latest (to the date of this answer) facebook apk from here
after the download is finished click on the apk in the list of Downloaded items or go to /sd card/downloads with a file manager app like es file explorer and open the apk file.
the installation screen should appear showing the permissions asked by the app click on install at the bottom of the screen.
wait for the installation to finish then click on open to open facebook app. (now you have the latest facebook app let's fix the play store issue)
Now go to Settings > Applications > all, search the play store app and click on it.
The info about the play store appear, wait until the delete data button is click-able then click on it and confirm.
Now go back to your hame screen and launch the play store and wait for it to load you account then go to my applications tab you should see the facebook app there (if it's not try rebooting your phone).
You are all set facebook is to latest version and will be updated normally from play store.
Reload your Android Facebook application right away from the apk downloader at: https://apk2down.com/apk-downloader/