Question

artwork quality problems

• 5 November 2015
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 1
artwork quality on my song "Mama," is absolutely atrocious. I have exported it in every file size, format and size possible. how do i make it not blurry? when I post it on Facebook it looks even WORSE prompting people not to click on the link....

45 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi Doze One,

So here is how picture quality works in general:

1) Whatever size the picture was when it was first created, it cannot be sized any larger or else the quality will be severely damaged

2) Different formats = different quality and size. JPG or JPEG is the best format for online use.

3) Every time a picture is compressed (as in, downloaded), the quality of the COPY is reduced ever so slightly.

#1 would be the main issue, however. Unfortunately, there is no way to make a small image larger without losing nearly all quality. You can only make a picture smaller, or keep it the same size in order to keep its quality.

Can you link me to the song with the cover art so I can mess around with it, possibly find the original size?

Hope this helps, keep me updated
Andrew (Alias AM)
Userlevel 1
thanks for the reply. I tried 2000 pixels by 2000 pixels and the image became even worse. then I tried even larger and smaller and there was no solution
Userlevel 1
Tried both jpeg and jpg as well
Userlevel 3
Well 2000 by 2000 is really big... Try something more like 800 x 800, thats the minimal size allowed by Soundcloud for cover arts, I believe.
Userlevel 1
Tried that as well
Userlevel 3
Was the picture downloaded/saved from the Google Images interface?
Userlevel 1
no it was not I created it in illustrator. Tried PNG, JPG, JPEG,the range of 50-500 dpi. nothing. The embed on my Facebook looks so bad
Userlevel 3
Hmm, this is a tough one. You might have exported it improperly, Export the image in the highest resolution possible. Next, since you said you are using Illustrator, I would actually recommend PNG file type for your image (I assumed you saved the image from somewhere, hence my 3 tips from before). Also, make sure you snap your image to a pixel grid, if you can do that in illustrator. It might help you there.

Let me know how it works
Andrew
Userlevel 1
when I save it as a very high resolution then try to upload it it's almost as if soundcloud compresses it. it says it has a 2mb limit and even when I'm under that it still compresses it past 1mb
Userlevel 3
Also weird! Haha, well I found this online. Why don't you give this a try?

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/13292/how-can-i-preserve-vector-file-size-and-quali...

EDIT:
Reading around, I noticed that there is a "Save for Web" option in illustrator. I would do that as well.
Userlevel 1
I am very familiar with illustrator and have done all of this.
Userlevel 1
I literally have 15 files I've tried
Userlevel 3
Is the picture blurry on your computer itself? as in, if you open it in your file explorer, how is the quality?
Userlevel 3
Is the picture blurry on your computer itself? as in, if you open it in your file explorer, how is the quality?
Userlevel 1
nope. crystal clear
Userlevel 3
Hmm, and it's not just soundcloud killing the quality, right?
Userlevel 1

this is an 800X800 png
Userlevel 1
when I upload it to my site it looks NOTHING like that.
Userlevel 1
nope it's just when I upload it to soundcloud
Userlevel 3
Okay, do you mind if I place the artwork on one of my songs for a few seconds to test it out?

And by the way, what internet browser?
Userlevel 1
safari and Chrome. looks like I got the image working on soundcloud but it still looks miserable in the embed
Userlevel 1
not embed* link on Facebook. is there anyway to make it not zoom in?
Userlevel 1

this is what the embed looks like
Userlevel 3
Instead of embedding it, just use the Share link on the song. Facebook will automatically change it to a profile of the song.
Userlevel 1
I didn't embed it i clicked share...sorry I keep using the wrong language