Question

Downloads use original file names instead of official titles from soundcloud.

• 23 December 2014
  • 9 replies

My tracks download with their original file names, rather than the titles I give them on soundcloud. Any way to change this?

9 replies

Being able to change the source file name would be an extremely useful feature. The need to upload audio is usually much more urgent than finalising file names with full metadata. Having to re-upload the same audio just to change the file data is incredibly inconvenient, especially so when dealing with many large files.

1. Is it technically possible for Soundcloud to implement source file info editing similar to that of iTunes?
2. Is this something we can expect Soundcloud to make available ever?
3. If so, when could we expect to see this?

I really hope to see this soon. Would save a lot of people a lot of bother and help make sure much more audio on the net can be correctly tagged without having to waste loads of time and bandwidth. This is particular important for field-recordings in which meta data is particularly important for their historical accuracy.

Thanks for the quick response Mathis and passing this on, much appreciated 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Yes, this is currently expected behavior - we don't do anything to the originally uploaded file. That way, you can offer your listeners the original, uncompressed .wav file for download, while on SoundCloud.com, they can stream your tracks in 128kbps mp3 audio.

In order to change this, you could either upload them again and make sure the filename and metadata is appropriate, or you could replace the file if you have a pro account (file replacing is a Pro / Pro Unlimited feature).

Hope this helps to shed some light on this.

Cheers,
Mathis
Being able to change the source file name would be an extremely useful feature. The need to upload audio is usually much more urgent than finalising file names with full metadata. Having to re-upload the same audio just to change the file data is incredibly inconvenient, especially so when dealing with many large files.

1. Is it technically possible for Soundcloud to implement source file info editing similar to that of iTunes?

I really hope to see this soon. Would save a lot of people a lot of bother and help make sure much more audio on the net can be correctly tagged without having to waste loads of time and bandwidth. This is particular important for field-recordings in which meta data is particularly important for their historical accuracy.
While I can understand the idea of preserving the file, it would be really nice to be able to rename them. Some of us uploaded many files without realizing that the name would be preserved.

Has this happened yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi spigelsound,

Thanks for the follow up on this convo. I can understand where you're coming from and will make sure to pass on your query to the relevant team as a feature request.
Any news on this?

Nope
Userlevel 1
Soundcloud don't ever bother with customers' requests... They do it their own way, always...
This is a pain in the ass that the downloads keep the sometimes so exotic titles we may have in our computer. It's been ages we are complaining about that and they don't give a bloody damn !