Question

Embed player on Facebook - only for certain tracks

• 7 January 2017
  • 26 replies

Hello,

I've noticed that the content of a facebook share is varying depending on the track. Some of them are still playable in the post whereas some others are displaying only an image

So what are the conditions so that our tracks could be displayed as an embedded player on facebook ?

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Any track you would share to Facebook now cannot be played on Facebook. Rather, you'll be forwarded to the track on SoundCloud directly. Tracks that have been shared a long time ago might still play directly, and it looks like there are attempts by third party developers to provide an alternative option as well.

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers
Mathis
SetP I've noticed this too, Were you able to figure this out?
I found that I don't get the embed at first when I post a link to FB, but after a few minutes I'll try posting again and the embed appears with a media player. Maybe FB hasn't had time to add the page to it's opengraph and realize it's an embeddable piece of media?
Userlevel 1
Soundcloud dropping the embedding feature on FaceBook was the sole reason for not renewing my account. What a joke.
Try again. It's working for me.

Try again. It's working for me.

How did you do this?? Did you just share directly from soundcloud's facebook button or did you copy the code?

How did you do this?? Did you just share directly from soundcloud's facebook button or did you copy the code?

I copied the URL from the browser URL bar for that specific track. I then pasted it into FB. The first couple of times I posted, I did not get the embed. I had my FB post share setting to "only seen by me". After a few times of posting, the embed showed up and then I posted publicly so that others could see it.

I copied the URL from the browser URL bar for that specific track. I then pasted it into FB. The first couple of times I posted, I did not get the embed. I had my FB post share setting to "only seen by me". After a few times of posting, the embed showed up and then I posted publicly so that others could see it.

Just to know: how many times did you do it to make it work?
Yeah it's intermittent. I had it working yesterday now it's not. Player looked like the pic posted above. I tried several times today but now it's not working again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again,

There are two ways SoundCloud tracks currently embed on Facebook - most users will see the artwork with a hyperlink to the track on SoundCloud. Tracks from partners will embed as shown above on the screenshot provided by KeyNeedle. The fact that not every track can be streamed directly on the Facebook timeline has seen quite some feedback from the community and we're continuing to forward this feedback to the relevant team.

If there is doubt whether Facebook fetches the correct information from SoundCloud, you can use their debugging tool to make sure their cache is up to speed. https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug

Cheers
Mathis
This is the #1 reason I will move my songs to another site. 80% of people now (unfortunately) surf on their phones. They are worried about data. This is something we need to think about if we want people listening to our tracks on FB. The tracks HAVE to stream within the timeline. If anyone is going to listen to something new it has to be simple, (click and play) and not start opening new browser tabs. This is turning in to a sound cloud deal breaker for me. I may have to move out of the neighborhood. I don't want to. I don't have any other complaints.
Very Frustrating. Many people just will NOT click an external link to hear a tune posted in the timeline of facebook. Is there ANY solution to this out there???
Whenever I try and share just one track to Facebook, it does it but keeps playing all the tracks I have. How do stop this, or can it?
Userlevel 2
Strongly concur with the other posters. Rather than bring people to Soundcloud's site, all this is going to accomplish is far fewer people listening to my music. The FB post doesn't even indicate to them that there's playable media, I'd have to provide instructions every time, and even if I did, nobody leaves their FB feed to check things out.

Does Soundcloud really think the way to succeed is by giving its users less? In interviews, Soundcloud said this "offers your listeners a better experience" which is a flat-out lie... better for Soundcloud, maybe, but not better for listeners. Making them leave their FB feed to listen to my music on an external site, any external site, is a worse experience for them, absolutely regardless of what that site offers when they get there. (IF they get there. Which they won't. I'm willing to bet money that Soundcloud's internal metrics show that music shared to Facebook gets fewer listens now than before they stopped the embeds.)

I'm looking for another audio hosting site, one that actually helps me put my music in front of listeners, not hides it from them and makes demands of them in order for them to listen to it. That doesn't work and it doesn't help me.
Any producers wanna give me a chance?https://
I too need a site that can play audio in the post. Soundcloud was that site, now it is not.
Is it Soundcloud's fault, or FB's though? YouTube now does the same thing (embeds an image that takes the user to YouTube to watch the video instead of playing directly from FB like it did before). I've been hearing FB and YT have changed their algorithms for posting external content, I guess as a security measure. Has anyone else heard this?

It may actually not be Soundcloud's decision, although they haven't actually pinned a post saying so, that I'm aware of.
Was searching for a fix for this online and found myself here.

There has to be a solution - surely FB is one of the main channels people want to to be able to push their music out to people?!
Hi again,

There are two ways SoundCloud tracks currently embed on Facebook - most users will see the artwork with a hyperlink to the track on SoundCloud. Tracks from partners will embed as shown above on the screenshot provided by KeyNeedle. The fact that not every track can be streamed directly on the Facebook timeline has seen quite some feedback from the community and we're continuing to forward this feedback to the relevant team.

Cheers
Mathis

@Mathis what makes someone a 'partner'? why isn't this available for everyone? it's so frustrating
I just don't understand why this isn't available for all paid creators - it makes no sense at all. What is the explaination?!
Same issue. Any support on this SC team? Thanks
SO UNCOOL.

I have paid you guys hundreds of dollars over 8ish years. I've even helped you resolve an issue years ago and got nothing.
Many of us pay for our accounts and you can not get this fixed Soudcloud? It is EXTREMELY important for our careers. It can be done, very easy, as shown here: https://soundcloudx.com/
So please, would you mind making it happen???
Thanks.
SO UNCOOL.

I have paid you guys hundreds of dollars over 8ish years. I've even helped you resolve an issue years ago and got nothing.

I will not pay anymore.
You guys at Soundcloud literally say on this page under the Facebook heading:

"SoundCloud links embed directly into Facebook so that users don’t have to leave the platform to check out your music. "

This is nothing short of false advertising. When you're collecting money for a service online and making false claims about capabilities, that says something about your company. Take that content down, or open up the ability for all paid content creators to leverage this capability.