Question

Explore Progressive House?

• 5 February 2015
  • 14 replies

Why did SoundCloud get rid of the Progressive House section under Explore?

14 replies

Hey Gina,

Can you reconsider separating the sub genres from their "Parent" genres because some people like to be specific

Thank You, Youssef
How do I delete a genre out? I keep getting Trap in House/Electronic.
Can you do your job, none of these changes are helping and just annoying everyone
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Jeff,

Sorry, there is no way to delete out a genre.

-Gina
None of these changes should be happening, if it's not broke don't fix it. It worked perfectly before and now you are just frustrating your users not helping...
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What about soul?.

It's a bad idea, to mix RNB and soul, becouse, there's only RNB, i must skip nearly 15 tracks, to get pure soul, please, fix it. Make the only soul CATEGORY

Hi Oleh,

Take a look at this thread to find out more about the changes to genres and sub genres.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What about soul?.

It's a bad idea, to mix RNB and soul, becouse, there's only RNB, i must skip nearly 15 tracks, to get pure soul, please, fix it. Make the only soul CATEGORY
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Progressive house + Unkown artists nowhere to find..

Hello,

So I got a quick question regarding the removed progressive house tab and unkown artist are nowhere to find.

Since I've found soundcloud it was my #1 source for my progressive house music, because I love the music so much. But as of now (23th Feb) I really can't find any progressive house song that are decent. Always those big room track, which I don't really like.
So why did they deleted the progressive house tab?...because now I can't find any...

I know that you've put progressive house etc together, but it's not really working.
If I scroll through it I can't find any decent progressive house tracks. NONE
And next to that, if you listen to progressive house there a big difference how house is compared to progressive house. House/EDM may be the big parent of progressive house, but no, for me it's just not the same.

Is there any possibility that that feature will return? Or can you help me how to find them again?

My next question maby sound a little rude, but I need to ask this.

Me as a new rookie producer I'm have a lot problems that without the "Pro user" thing my tracks will not be easily found. Which I'm not really happy with, obviously. It seems who pays more like the big labels get a bigger change of having there songs at the top (even if there are almost 1 year old). It is quite obvious I know, but seems that there is no chance for a unkown artist (Like me) to get alot of plays.

Anyway I can still get plays and finding other unknown artists, who deserve to be heard?

Thanks in advance.

Your sincerely,

Casper/BTP

I did not meant the return of the genre on soundcloud, I meant a filter, because my main problem is that whenever I go into "Dance & EDM" It shows me songs that are almost a year old.

Where are the new songs that people upload?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Progressive house + Unkown artists nowhere to find..

Hello,

So I got a quick question regarding the removed progressive house tab and unkown artist are nowhere to find.

Since I've found soundcloud it was my #1 source for my progressive house music, because I love the music so much. But as of now (23th Feb) I really can't find any progressive house song that are decent. Always those big room track, which I don't really like.
So why did they deleted the progressive house tab?...because now I can't find any...

I know that you've put progressive house etc together, but it's not really working.
And next to that, if you listen to progressive house there a big difference how house is compared to progressive house. House/EDM may be the big parent of progressive house, but no, for me it's just not the same.

Is there any possibility that that feature will return? Or can you help me how to find them again?

Me as a new rookie producer I'm have a lot problems that without the "Pro user" thing my tracks will not be easily found. Which I'm not really happy with, obviously. It seems who pays more like the big labels get a bigger change of having there songs at the top (even if there are almost 1 year old). It is quite obvious I know, but seems that there is no chance for a unkown artist (Like me) to get alot of plays.

Anyway I can still get plays and finding other unknown artists, who deserve to be heard?

Thanks in advance.

Your sincerely,

Casper/BTP

Hey Casper,

As of right now we do not have any plans to revert back to sub genres given the amount of feedback we got with users saying "that's not really XXXX genre why is it labeled that way?" If we start to get more feedback similar to your concerns then we will have to re-consider. For now, I can also recommend making an official feature request here.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us your thoughts about this change.

-Gina

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Your sincerely,

Casper/BTP

Is here any possibility that there will be a "Filter" because I can only find progressive house songs that are already well known + are over 3 years old..
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Your sincerely,

Casper/BTP

Hi Casper,

I merged your post to this thread because it's the same basic question and same even same genre. To give you a little more information, the problem we ran into was that not all users agreed on what classified as "progressive" house. It seemed that the more options we gave, the more misconceptions or abuse of the labels followed which is why we simplified it.

To answer your second question, no one is entitled to being featured on the Explore list based on subscription. It takes effort on the account holder's part to do the publicity "leg-work" to promote their sounds. Once a profile or track has a consistent following then this triggers our algorithm.

I do however share your same sentiment about wanting to find the unknown artists/gems in SoundCloud. I've had luck with going to bigger name profiles of creators that I really like and then going into their following section. Once their, I check out what account they are following that have few followers. I figured, if this small account got noticed by a big time artist then there must be some good reason. I have actually found some good stuff with the method of mine.

I went ahead and shared your feedback with the Search and Discovery team so that they can take it into consideration.

I hope this helps!,
Gina 🙂

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Your sincerely,

Casper/BTP
Hey there,

Thanks for writing in about this, and sorry for any frustration caused. We recently updated the Category list in order to provide a clearer experience for users of the site. As an example, where subgenres were reasonably similar to their parent genres, they have now been merged. In making these changes, we are now more closely aligned with general genre perceptions, which should hopefully lead to an improvement in the way that tracks are classified.

As a tagging recommendation going forward, I’d suggest making sure your first tag is the main genre (ideally from the list we now have), and the second tag (if you add one) is the subgenre.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gina

Please atleast allow us to sort by newest when searching using the progressive house tag.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey there,

Thanks for writing in about this, and sorry for any frustration caused. We recently updated the Category list in order to provide a clearer experience for users of the site. As an example, where subgenres were reasonably similar to their parent genres, they have now been merged. In making these changes, we are now more closely aligned with general genre perceptions, which should hopefully lead to an improvement in the way that tracks are classified.

As a tagging recommendation going forward, I’d suggest making sure your first tag is the main genre (ideally from the list we now have), and the second tag (if you add one) is the subgenre.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gina