Question

How do I keep my posts hidden from the public but allow those with the link to hear audio?

• 15 March 2015
  • 3 replies

I may have a unique use of your service, so please let me know if this is possible. I want to use SoundCloud to send audio messages to a group of people or embed the audio messages on a webpage for a specific group of people. I do not want my messages available to the general public. When I make the audio posts private, you require others to have a soundcloud account in order for me to provide access. Is there a way to not have my posts available to the general public, but also allow me to provide those with the link access to the recording? If not, you may wish to consider this option. Many people could use this service to send private information to whomever they so choose. (more flexibility)

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. This should be possible - we do not require for users to create an account in order to listen to private tracks on SoundCloud. Thus, what you'd need to do is a) set your track to private, then take the secret link and send it to your contacts via email. Clicking on the link will redirect your addressees directly to the track page, where they can play the track.

If this is not the case, can you let us know what exactly happens?

Hope this helps.

Cheers :-)
Mathis
Hi Mathis,

After I make the track private, I log out of soundcloud and go to the webpage that has the embedded player. The track will not play. I immediately log into soundcloud make the track public, log out again, and then refresh the webpage with the player. It will then play.

I hope this can be fixed.

Matthew
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Mathis,

After I make the track private, I log out of soundcloud and go to the webpage that has the embedded player. The track will not play. I immediately log into soundcloud make the track public, log out again, and then refresh the webpage with the player. It will then play.

I hope this can be fixed.

Matthew

Hey hey,

Hmm, ok now that is quite strange indeed. My previous response referred to sending the secret link to your contacts, I didn't take the embed into account - sorry about that.

Now, any chance you could provide me with the link to where you've embedded the link? Or, if it is on a password secured website, could you create a similar test page with which we can word to troubleshoot this? As of right now, I'm not 100% sure I understand the issue correctly to be honest. If it helps, feel free to attach a screenshot in your response. This conversation right here is private, so this can only been viewed by you and SoundCloud employees working on the forum.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers
Mathis