Question

How to KEEP vistors on my website and STOP SoundCloud from redirecting vistors SoundCloud to listen?

• 28 October 2015
  • 19 replies

I use SoundCloud to play audio clips on my website on public and private pages. This week, SoundCloud started redirecting my vistors to SoundCloud to listen to the audio clips. Here's what happens. On my site, the SoundCloud embeded audio player starts. But if the pause button is pushed, the player disappears, and a message pops up that reads, "Hear more on SoundCloud". I do NOT want my vistors going to SoundCloud. I'm am paying for traffic to my site. I do NOT want to send traffic to SoundCloud. I'm paying SoundCloud for their awesome technology that plays audios on my site. How to I STOP this crazy traffic diversion. This is messing up my business. Please stop. (SoundCloud tried to do this a year ago ... luckily they stopped ... why start again). Please help.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there MasterMindAgent,

Thanks for getting in touch. Hmm, any chance you can send over a screenshot to make sure we're on the same page about this? If you're seeing what I think you are, then there should be an "X" in the upper right corner to go back to the embedded player. Also, this would then also not be something that we've changed recently, but has been in place for quite some time actually

Either way, too soon to tell what's the story, looking forward to hear back from you in order to investigate further.

Cheers
Mathis
Mathis,

Thank you for looking into this. Here is what to player looks like embedded on the site:

Looks good. When you press play, it works properly.

BUT when you press the play arrow again (pause), this screen pops up:

This was not here last week.

Usually, the player shows pause, then plays from stop point when the arrow is pressed again. All happens on the embedded page.

But now this orange box pops up and directs people to SoundCloud.

I do NOT want that.

I pay to get traffic to my site and need to keep them there.

Please help correct.

I've been using SoundCloud for years ... without this problem.

-Mike
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Mike,

Thank you for getting back to us. The player was changed to bring it current with the behaviour of our other embedded player options. The expected behaviour was always to display a link to your profile when the track is paused. I would like to highlight that the user can at anytime click on the 'X' in the upper right hand corner to return to the player so we are not forcing traffic away from your site.

Unfortunately this is not something that will be changed back as we want to offer the same experience across all of our embedded players.

Please let me know if I can provide any further clarification.

Best,
Gina
Gina, this is TERRIBLE. I HATE this new approach. It is killing my business. The little tiny X is small compared to the huge orange BOX directing people to SoundCloud. I can not be the only podcaster frustrated with this change. It only serves SoundCloud. I'm flabergasted that I am paying for your service AND sending traffic to you. This is NOT fair. This can not be a good long term strategy. It was bad enough with the small SC logo in the box that people accidently clicked and ended up at SC (like YouTube). But now this is a mass drain of my web visitors away from my website. It must STOP. Please escalate this to managers and vice presidents.
Is there a way to MODIFY this back to the original format with CODE during the embedding process?
Can you tell me how to ESCALATE this issue to management?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Can you tell me how to ESCALATE this issue to management?
Hi MasterMindAgent,

I understand your frustration over this, and we've forwarded your case to the relevant product team, however to be honest I believe this is unlikely this will be reverted. As Gina had mentioned beforehand, this feature has existed for a long time on the visual player already, so this is something the team has now streamlined across the different embed options.

All the best
Mathis
Mathis, thank you for escalating this issue. I only experienced this problem last week. I even videoed it working properly a few days before when I made a demo video for my website. So if this nasty idea has been around longer than a few weeks, I'm just experiencing it now. Sounds like SoundCloud has been sucking traffic to it's pages for a long time. I wonder how many paying SC customers have been in the dark, like me. I'm really disappointed. I like SC and your technology. Being an SC early-adapter who has told dozens of other website owners to use SC, I feel like an unknown accomplice to stealing website owners traffic without their knowledge. I hope this practice ends soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Mathis, thank you for escalating this issue. I only experienced this problem last week. I even videoed it working properly a few days before when I made a demo video for my website. So if this nasty idea has been around longer than a few weeks, I'm just experiencing it now. Sounds like SoundCloud has been sucking traffic to it's pages for a long time. I wonder how many paying SC customers have been in the dark, like me. I'm really disappointed. I like SC and your technology. Being an SC early-adapter who has told dozens of other website owners to use SC, I feel like an unknown accomplice to stealing website owners traffic without their knowledge. I hope this practice ends soon.
Hi again,

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry if my previous explanation was misleading - we do offer different designs for our embedded players, and the visual player design has had this overlay for quite a while, when the regular html5 player did not. Since it seems you were using the regular html5 player, you didn't see this type of referral before.

[devil's advocate mode on] Also, please note that our visual and html5 embedded players are not part of the Pro or Pro Unlimited subscription, but offered to all of our users. [devil's advocate mode off]

All the best
Mathis
Hi,

I am experiencing the same frustration right now, and am glad to see that there is a thread that already exists. I'm wondering if it's possible, at least for the widget and API, to present a boolean parameter that would allow this feature to be turned on or off.

Thoughts on that possibility?

Best,
Emily
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi,

I am experiencing the same frustration right now, and am glad to see that there is a thread that already exists. I'm wondering if it's possible, at least for the widget and API, to present a boolean parameter that would allow this feature to be turned on or off.

Thoughts on that possibility?

Best,
Emily

Hi Emily,

Thanks for providing feedback. If you're keen on using the API, you might be able to build your own player, however I'm afraid this is not something we can help setting up. Developer documentation is available here.
I am frustrated about exactly the same thing. I don't want people leaving my site to go to soundcloud. The flash player was so great and I see so many people frustrated with the html player. It seems like soundcloud is being very dismissive about these complaints.
Ian, I agree. I still have no solution. SoundCloud is acting like YouTube to pull traffic back to it's site for SEO and authority cred. I get that. But the difference is: YouTube is FREE ... I am PAYING for SoundCloud ... to screw me. I am already investigating alternatives. Which is too bad. I like SoundCloud, but I hate this policy. I've already started transitioning away from SC and using the alternative more and more. I'm sure I'm not the only one. If your listening, SoundCoud wake up. Stop pulling visitors away from your paying CUSTOMER'S sites. Stoping huring us to help you ... or you'll lose too. -Mike
MasterMindAgent, what alternative are you using? Agree, this is terrible, no volume control is terrible, "Cookie Policy" on the image is terrible. 😞 Am considering trying to use Bandcamp for ll my tracks.
Userlevel 5
Ian, I agree. I still have no solution. SoundCloud is acting like YouTube to pull traffic back to it's site for SEO and authority cred. I get that. But the difference is: YouTube is FREE ... I am PAYING for SoundCloud ... to screw me. I am already investigating alternatives. Which is too bad. I like SoundCloud, but I hate this policy. I've already started transitioning away from SC and using the alternative more and more. I'm sure I'm not the only one. If your listening, SoundCoud wake up. Stop pulling visitors away from your paying CUSTOMER'S sites. Stoping huring us to help you ... or you'll lose too. -Mike
Mike, you mentioned you have started transitioning away from SC and "using the alternative". May I ask, what is the alternative? I've had enough of SC not listening to their users and implementing nonsensical changes that do not benefit their users. I'd like to move to the alternative, but I'm not sure what or where that is. Thanks.
Dear SoundCloud people, I am in the same boat. The thing is, I can go to other web sites where the embedded player behaves just like I would like it to. I want my listeners to be able to be able to pause, jump back and forth etc. with my music just like any other player. At the moment, this annoying advertisement pops up EVERY TIME I stop the player. Sure there may be an X at the top right corner, but not everybody understands what that would do. I am a pretty savvy computer user, and I had no idea the X would take it back to the original screen. I had to refresh my computer screen in order to get the piece back. Currently on my web site there are several audio examples using SoundCloud and several using YouTube. I can navigate the YouTube examples with absolutely no problem, but the SoundCloud examples are EXTREMELY frustrating. As I mentioned earlier in the post, I can go to other sites where their SoundCloud examples behave just fine. I can stop and start with no annoying pop-up. I am tempted to just upload all my music to YouTube.
Just been checking our analytics and most of our engagement traffic is being pulled through to Soundcloud. We're running an oral history project that uses a combination of written, images (archival and current)with Sound as one of the components. It seems incredibly self serving for Soundcloud to drag people away from our site when 1: We're paying for your service and 2: The content hosted by you is just one of the components that make up the package we're offering. I don't buy the 'this has always been a feature', it can be changed. I mean who's going to hit the tiny x in the corner?
Do it with the free version by all means, but for paying customers some respect please.
(...) who's going to hit the tiny x in the corner? (...)

That's right, same problem here. NOBODY is going to hit that button. Even more, it looks like I'm not paying for a professional product and just using free player for my website cause I'm cheap.

Ladies and gentleman at Soundcloud, that is not what I would expect from a reputable company like you are.

Miguel
Hi All,
These posts are from 6 months ago. Has anything changed yet, SoundCloud people? I would love to switch off having my website visitors being directed to your site, and let them continue on my website without them having to choose that as an option.
Thanks,
Fiona