Question

How to put a record feature on my website to allow someone to read a book and share it.

• 26 March 2015
  • 3 replies

I need help or ideas of how to create a website that will allow a person to either upload an audio file or create an audio file on the site. The audio file will be the visitor of the site reading a book of up to one hour in length. It then will be stored on their own soundcloud for sharing with others of their choice or on my Soundcloud account. I have a pro unlimited soundcloud account There is a soundcloud plug in that I do not know how to use that maybe does this but it is not clear when I read about it.I will be giving this service away for free to anyone interested after it is set up.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for posting on our forum. Hmm, ok let's see - so I understand you want something similar to the record button that can be found on http://soundcloud.com/upload-classic, correct? SoundCloud does not offer this to be embedded on other websites. Also, I've done a quick research, yet wasn't able to find a similar approach. Maybe someone else has experience with this?

The record button on SoundCloud currently is based on Flash - at the risk that when Flash crashes (unfortunately, this can happen, especially if recordings are as long as 1 hour), the entire recording is lost, as Flash doesn't store the recording in a temporary file that can be re-uploaded at a later point. This is why I usually recommend users to record in an audio editing software like Audacity first. That way they can edit their recording and record it once they are happy with the result. Just my two cents, but maybe it helps to determine how to bring your product to life (I think this is a great idea btw.).

Feel free to let us know here if you have any further questions.

Cheers
Mathis
Thank you that was very useful. As a follow how do sharing kits work.
Sharing Kits We provide sharing kits for most Desktop and Mobile platforms. Sharing kits allow you to easily add "Share to SoundCloud" functionality to your app. The kits are open source and available on Github.

Is this something to make it easier after you create a file with something like Audacity to be uploaded to a specific account with Sound Cloud. I read about some audio sharing with a few publishing business users of SoundCloud so there can be interaction within a group.

I also read about

HTTP API GuideUsing the SoundCloud API, you can build applications that take sound on the web to the next level. With this guide we explain and provide code examples for many common integration use cases like playing and uploading sounds or how to take advantage of SoundCloud's many social features. If you're looking for more in depth information, feel free to jump to our API Reference.
This is way to complicated for me to learn but I was wondering if someone who knows about these things and is looking for work to help develop a plugin or part of my webpage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thank you that was very useful. As a follow how do sharing kits work.
Sharing Kits We provide sharing kits for most Desktop and Mobile platforms. Sharing kits allow you to easily add "Share to SoundCloud" functionality to your app. The kits are open source and available on Github.

Is this something to make it easier after you create a file with something like Audacity to be uploaded to a specific account with Sound Cloud. I read about some audio sharing with a few publishing business users of SoundCloud so there can be interaction within a group.

I also read about

HTTP API GuideUsing the SoundCloud API, you can build applications that take sound on the web to the next level. With this guide we explain and provide code examples for many common integration use cases like playing and uploading sounds or how to take advantage of SoundCloud's many social features. If you're looking for more in depth information, feel free to jump to our API Reference.
This is way to complicated for me to learn but I was wondering if someone who knows about these things and is looking for work to help develop a plugin or part of my webpage.

Hi there again,

Thanks for the follow up - interesting stuff! Yeah, so, if you're keen on developing, you can definitely build a bunch of integrations with our public API that you normally would be able to embed just like that. You can find further documentation around this over at developers.soundcloud.com (If you find someone who can help building this, the documentation will be a valuable resource as well).

All the best,
Mathis