Question

html5 / flash player

• 2 April 2016
  • 8 replies

I went through the forums, faq, etc. but I'm more confused than before.

How's the htlm5 situation? Do any of the soundcloud player support that?

All the songs / playlist that I embedd in a wordpress website are flash. Even if I use the (outdated?) soundcloud shortcode embedding plugin and chose the html5 option, the track is always embedd as a flash one.

thanks
D.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
rendering of player is based on the client ie; modern code provides html 5 + flash, rendered version depends on client.
ok, but I still don't get it eheh.
does soundcloud (still?) rely on flash? is there a way to have a 100% html5 player?
Userlevel 3
Badge
ok, but I still don't get it eheh.
does soundcloud (still?) rely on flash? is there a way to have a 100% html5 player?

no it doesn't - it's 5 ready hence 5 embed code. yes, you can force - by removing flash portion of embed code. you don't want to do that tho because then non-5 clients can't play. if you are seeing flash player, YOUR device, according to the site on which the code is embedded, does not support html 5 (so note that correction to my original post - player selected is dependent on client AND site).
Userlevel 3
Badge
bah i can't edit that last post again, posting correction to my original post and subsequent post here:

no it doesn't - it's 5 ready hence 5 embed code. yes, you can force - by removing flash portion of embed code. you don't want to do that tho because then non-5 clients can't play. if you are seeing flash player, YOUR device, according to SoundCloud, does not support html 5 (so note that correction to my original post - player selected is dependent on client AND SoundCloud).
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Sorry about the confusion. Let's see if I can help and shed some light on this.

All of our embedded player options are based on HTML5 these days. We used to support a Flash fall back for a long time, however this was recently (i.e., a few months ago) disabled. This was causing issues for users who had previously embedded one of our old Flash embedded players.

Moving forward, here's the overview of the embedded players we offer. The naming might be slightly confusing - we have the "Visual player", the "HTML5 player", and the "Mini player". All three are based on HTML5, only the "HTML5 player" was the first embed we launched back in the day that wasn't Flash (and thus we stuck to the name).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: If you're embedding a track or a playlist on your website and this is not working the way you expect it, please let us know and provide the URL of your website so we can test things from our end.
Userlevel 3
Badge
wha? so there's no fallback to flash already? ok I'll have to check, i didn't actually look I just assumed. kinda early to remove flash support a few months back no? anyway noted and thanks.
Casual listener here, not a developer. Reaching my breaking point with updating Flash in Mozilla Firefox on Linux Mint. How can I force Soundcloud to use HTML5? If it can't be done, explain why. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
When is the main site moving beyond Flash? I'm surprised to see non-flash browsers still not working on the main site here at the verge of 2017...