Question

Is there a way to find users more likely to repost? My Soundcloud feed is generally pretty thin.

• 17 October 2014
  • 4 replies

I really use SoundCloud for discovery purposes, and it's very good... Although the recent changes to mobile have significantly hurt a user's ability to explore on the go.

Generally, I'll explore by finding track that I love and then seeing who has reposted those tracks and then exploring their reposts/likes... rinse and repeat.

Personally, I really wish that I could find people who shared a similar taste in music AND were very likely to repost. Especially now that mobile users are limited to their feed, I want to have more options within my feed to explore, but right now it's very thin.

It's difficult to find those users.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Jack,

Thanks for posting. Currently, it is not possible to filter search queries by reposts - sorry. I will pass on your idea to our developers though.

In the meantime, I'd recommend to continue to find new music via our Search & Explore pages. Also, I often find new music in the recommended tracks section of a track.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mathis

P.S.:@all How is everyone else finding new artists and tracks on SoundCloud? Feel free to share by posting your best practices here 🙂
Userlevel 1
Hi Jack,

Thanks for posting. Currently, it is not possible to filter search queries by reposts - sorry. I will pass on your idea to our developers though.

In the meantime, I'd recommend to continue to find new music via our Search & Explore pages. Also, I often find new music in the recommended tracks section of a track.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mathis

P.S.:@all How is everyone else finding new artists and tracks on SoundCloud? Feel free to share by posting your best practices here :-)

Find new artists and tracks? What works quite well is following these "Groups" on soundcloud where you would expect to find your likeminded listeners and then follow those who are most active. For example let's say you like electro music and you want discover more: Just enter "electro" into the search bar and on the results page filter by "Groups". You will see a list of User Groups that have the term "electro" in their name. The bigger the group the more you will discover.
Hi Jack,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mathis

P.S.:@all How is everyone else finding new artists and tracks on SoundCloud? Feel free to share by posting your best practices here :-)

Yes, the recommendations section of a track is great and I can find a lot of music through that; however, sometimes you can get into a certain area that tends to repeat itself. It's certainly much better than that of YouTube, that recommendation engine is an uninspired black hole. Anyways, I use people's profiles as a means of breaking out of that cycle and injecting my listening experience with a person's unique perspective.

I cannot really find a group that works for me as I don't feel like I'm particularly drawn to any kind of genre as broad as "electro" unfortunately. If you could search for groups based on the music that was reposted within it, then that would be useful. For example, if I could search "Motor City Drum Ensemble" and then return a list of groups where music by that artist has been reposted... I would use that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Jack,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mathis

Hey Jack,

Super helpful feedback - thank you! We'll forward this to our product team. Also, thank you for explaining how you're using the recommended tracks as a best practice.

Cheers,
Mathis